Electronics Post your electronic questions here!

civic hybrid NCNS and an annoying shop.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wilsonaaronm08 is an unknown quantity at this point
civic hybrid NCNS and an annoying shop.

Hey everyone!

First off, thanks to all who contribute to this wonderful forum. I'm sure it has saved me at least $1000. I have a 03 Civic Hybrid, around 130,000. I'm currently having 2 issues that I need advice for.

1). The car suddenly wouldn't start or crank a few months ago. The wife was driving it home, said it acted like it was losing power and the immobilizer light briefly came on. She parked it in front of the house and then it wouldn't work. Here are the things I tried: Replacing the 12V battery, replacing the starter (basically useless, I've since learned), replacing the negative battery cable, bypassing the hybrid battery and trying to get the car to start.

2). I ended up taking it to a reputable shop that specialized in hybrid issues. I've not received a call in a month and a half. I have called them a few times to check in. I've been riding my bicycle everywhere in the meantime. This shop has not been able to figure it out at all. I'm giving them another weekish before I try taking it somewhere else. I don't like being a bother, but it's been a poor experience.

Does anyone out here have any idea of what it might be? I'm wondering is the ECU is having an issue, but the shop assured me that wasn't the case and that they scanned it. I'm out of ideas and would really just want our car back. :-/
Old 07-03-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: civic hybrid NCNS and an annoying shop.

Because you meantioned the gauges/lights failing while driving, I would have them test the alternator.
Old 07-03-2019
Registered!!

Even with a poor alternator, wouldn't it still start with a brand new 12v battery?
Old 07-03-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Yes, but I wasnt sure which order you tested/replaced parts.
Old 07-03-2019
Registered!!

I immediately replaced the 12V, then the negative cable, and then the starter. Then I bypassed the hybrid battery to try to get it to start via the starter (in case it was the IMA).
Old 07-03-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

I would test the steering switch first.

That and a just a few circuits are the only thing that could shut down a running engine and prevent it from cranking over.
Old 12-27-2019
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
curlywurly is an unknown quantity at this point

If it's a manual, if you don't push the clutch all the way to the floor it won't crank, it's a safety feature, I was wondering, if that switched failed it might cause this issue, or if an auto, maybe the neutral safety switch?