Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Jumped Timing?

Old 05-29-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got2run5 will become famous soon enoughgot2run5 will become famous soon enough
Jumped Timing?

Hit 222,000 miles the other day and that may potentially be the furthest my Civic gets. 75 mph I started to lose power and pulled over. Temp and oil were good and no codes, so I limped the car home with a severe lack of power and running rough. This is beyond my skill so I took it to the mechanic and his initial thought is that the timing belt jumped. If this happened, what are the chances there isn't valve damage? Is there anything else I should be looking for? He is spending a bit more time on it, but obviously only so much is worth putting into this car. I'm planning to do a compression test when I get it back and then go from there. Would love to keep it for longer but it may not be feasible.
Old 05-29-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Jumped Timing?

Originally Posted by got2run5
If this happened, what are the chances there isn't valve damage?
If you didn't bend any valves buy a lottery ticket!!

When my tensioner failed it cost me $1500.
Old 05-29-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I'm planning to do a compression test when I get it back
Do not attempt to crank the engine or anything.
If you suspect it jumped time, I'd recommend you remove the upper timing cover and see if that's what really happened (confirm cam-crank relationship) before going any further
Old 05-29-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

As easy noted, if your belt has worn/stretched to the point your timing has jumped , any further use might allow it to jump enough to do severe engine damage.

Should take a mechanic about 15 minutes to loosen valve cover, remove upper belt cover and verify timing marks.

If it’s in your driveway, you could do the same.
Old 05-30-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
If you suspect it jumped time, I'd recommend you remove the upper timing cover and see if that's what really happened (confirm cam-crank relationship) before going any further
I will attempt to do this. Last time the belt was replaced - (at 130k) I punted on the job. How do I verify the cam-crank relationship? Do I need to rotate to tdc first?
Old 05-30-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,294 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Follow the steps below to check timing.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ne-timing.html
Old 05-30-2019
Registered!!

Mechanic confirmed that the belt jumped 2-3 teeth. At this point, I'm taking it home and thinking about doing the belt and water pump myself. If I fail, the car is worth $0 anyway. However, is there any way to tell if the car has engine damage before I start? Valve cover is already off.
Old 05-30-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

2-3 teeth you're probably ok, make sure you use OEM parts
Old 05-30-2019
Registered!!

Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

However, is there any way to tell if the car has engine damage before I start? Valve cover is already off.
Visually you can get a idea if some valves don’t close all the way by how high the rockers go.
Reset the timing using current parts and do a compression test is best to get an idea of the health of the engine, no sense putting bunch new parts on just to have issues and tear it all apart again.
Old 05-30-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Mechanic confirmed that the belt jumped 2-3 teeth. At this point, I'm taking it home and thinking about doing the belt and water pump myself. If I fail, the car is worth $0 anyway. However, is there any way to tell if the car has engine damage before I start? Valve cover is already off.
Is there a lot of slack in the timing belt? See if the spring is no longer attached to the tensioner. If the tensioner has no spring, you risk jumping the timing belt even more
Old 06-01-2019
Registered!!

Last night I got the Civic towed back home. I've been reading through timing belt diys and watching videos. One thing I haven't come across - all of these assume timing is currently on and you're just replacing components at tdc. What do I have to do specifically to realign timing?
Old 06-01-2019
Registered!!

Your going to follow all the steps in a normal timing belt change process with the exception of your going to have to put a socket on the camshaft bolt and turn it few degrees to get it back to TDC before putting the belt on.

Absolutely follow practice of turning the engine over 2 times by socket wrench and make sure your crank and cam both align to TDC marks before closing it up.

Also don’t unplug the bottom sensor, (crank). Just unbolt it and swing it out of the way.
Old 06-02-2019
Registered!!

Started it up and it won't stay running. I double checked the timing and rotated by hand before closing it up, so I guess that's it. Thanks for the help
Old 09-22-2021
Registered!!

Emeraldko is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
How do you confirm cam-crank relationship? I don’t know what marks to look for and where.
Old 09-23-2021
Super Moderator

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,294 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Emeraldko
How do you confirm cam-crank relationship? I don’t know what marks to look for and where.
A link is literally posted in this thread......read...

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
Follow the steps below to check timing.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ne-timing.html
The following users liked this post:
Colin42 (09-23-2021)