Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Car shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toms99tj is an unknown quantity at this point
Car shuts off

So i have a 2001 civic dx 4 door 5 speed with cold air intake. We have been chasing one issue after another. The new issue is when driving and coming to a stop the car shuts off . There is no spitter and sputter just shuts off. It takes a bit to start back up most of the time . It also does it when backing into the drive way. No check engine light has come on due to this. The last 2 codes to pop up have been a 0420 and 1457. The 1457 has gone away and has not come back yet. I am at a lose and can not find anything on the internet to help. So i hope someone here can please help me . Thank you
Old 03-20-2019
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Car shuts off

Check for a clogged Cat Converter for the P0420 code and a failing By-Pass Shut Valve (CVS) under the car for the P1457 code.
Old 03-20-2019
Registered!!

We did have those codes but they have not come back yet.
Old 03-20-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Does this happen with a full tank of gas?

While braking or reversing the fuel will move towards the front of the vehicle, if the fuel pump is weak, it could stall.

Mine had a pump fail a while bake, no CELs, it just died often while braking, before finally failing all together a week later.

perhaps have someone run a fuel pressure test.
Old 03-20-2019
Registered!!

Does it when braking and did it twice when reversing. Its got a new fuel pump in it but that doesnt mean to much these days
Old 03-20-2019

mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Not likely a second fuel pump would fail that fast.
Old 03-20-2019
Registered!!

We are thinking maybe the idle air controll? I reset any codes yesterday and she drove about 17 miles this morning and the 0420 and 1457 has not come back yet .
Old 03-20-2019

Any services or parts replace within a month of the issue?
Old 03-20-2019
Registered!!

This is everything thats been replaced since she got the car, clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, tdc sensor, crank shaft position sensor, the fuel pump, the top o2 sensor. The 0420 and 1457 code came back on the way home . It also has a stupid cold air intake.
Old 03-20-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

You have a code for a clogged catalytic converter which definately can result in poor engine performance.

You also have a code for a leaky gas vapor system which most commonly is used by the engine control program while the car is decelerating.

Have you been doing all the prior repairs or a friend or a shop or a dealer?

Old 03-21-2019
Registered!!

A shop has done everything up till now. I did the fuel pump and upper o2 sensor

Last edited by toms99tj; 03-21-2019 at 05:48 AM.
Old 03-21-2019
Registered!!

Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Free test is to unplug the top o2 sensor then time the car say from 20-50.

Then unscrew that same sensor and run time test again.

Pulling the entire canister out and doing a inspection is pretty easy, just make sure the car is being held up redundantly as your full body will be under there to get it out.

Commonly we have members that find valve is simply rusted to point of leaking, but I have seen canisters cracked as well.
Old 03-21-2019
Registered!!

Im tired of messing with this thing. I think im going to order a new cat and vapor canister and go from there.
Old 03-21-2019

Make sure the sensors the shop used and the new parts you buy are from Honda, or Denso.

Many, many times we've seen shops cheaping out and using other sensors which cause problems.
Old 03-26-2019
Registered!!

So i changed the manifold and that got rid of the 0420 code. Now we are waiting the the evap cycle to complete to see of that code will come back. This morning i go out to start the car and it struggled for a second but started and the CEL popped on. I checked the code and it was a 1362. It seems that only comes on when cold out and the struggles to start. Any ideas why that might be? I cleared the code and started the car and it did not come back.
Old 03-27-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by toms99tj
This is everything thats been replaced since she got the car..............,crank shaft position sensor....
If your still under warranty for the parts/labor you paid to that shop, consider talking to them about getting that code still.

Contaminated contacts and poor quality TDC replacement sensors bring lots of people to this forum. Majority of the time a can of electrical contact cleaner and a actual Honda part gets it done, rarely it’s a bad harness issue and extremely rare we have seen broken off sprocket tooth causing issue.
Old 03-27-2019
Registered!!

That code has only come back the last 2 morning and its been in the 20's here. When it was warmer there was no problems in the morning. Now we kind of figured out that when we hook the amps up the rpm's start to drop and then the car will shut off. We tested that last night, with the power wire undone for the amps the car stayed running, then we connected the power wire and within minutes rpm's dropped and car shut off and we got the crankshaft position sensor code. Im about done with this POS and ready to get her a good ole Chevy
Old 03-27-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

get rid of the amp, problem solved

Originally Posted by toms99tj
ready to get her a POS Chevy
Fixed it for you
Old 03-27-2019
Registered!!

Nice job editing my quote. Lol. But once i find something else for her the honda is going in the crusher. Lol
Old 03-27-2019

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Fair enough, my rule when buying cars is to buy as close to stock as possible, less things to worry about
Old 03-27-2019
Registered!!

This was all her. She had a ford edge that she sunk over $5000 in it in 2 years on repairs and she figured this would be a good little commuter car. I have sunk a good amount of money in it already and so has she. It still needs a throw out bearing replaced but someone welded something that will need to be cut and then rewelded is what we were told. This is a headache and a half.
Old 03-28-2019
Registered!!

Just an update not having the amps hooked up did not make a difference. The rpms are dropping and causing her to stall out. When she tries to start it back up it wont start and throws the crankshaft position code and thats the only time that code comes up.
Old 03-29-2019
Registered!!

So the 1457 code came back today. Usually what needs to be replaced to fix the 1457 code? Also can this cause the rpms to drop to the point the car shuts off?
Old 03-29-2019

Check the gas cap, also check the valve on the vapour canister near the gas tank
Old 03-29-2019
Registered!!

Brand new gas cap.
Old 03-29-2019

So check the valve, prone to failure especially in the rust belt
Old 03-31-2019
Registered!!

So the car is still stalling. Its mostly when coming to a stop. I cleaned the throttle body and the iac and that didnt change much.
Old 04-01-2019
Registered!!

Honda ECU likes to switch on the evap canister when the car is decelerating. So having a leaky/stuck system could affect air/fuel ratio at those times.

Not sure of a cheap test for that being the actual issue.
If you can easily replicate the issue, maybe clamp the hose to seal it in the engine bay drive test it.
If no difference, then unplug the top O2 connector and drive again.

Generally, the evap system will prime when the car is driven over 50mph and then allowed to coast below 35mph.

The fumes trapped in the canister are plentiful, I hooked a air pump up to one I have now as a spare, and 14 hours later you could still smell gas in the exiting air and the whole canister had lost over a pound of weight.
Old 04-01-2019
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NDNV
Check for a clogged Cat Converter for the P0420 code and a failing By-Pass Shut Valve (CVS) under the car for the P1457 code.
I was correct on the first code and I might be correct on the second... I chose to replace the canister at the same time as the CVS since the screws were rusted bad.
Old 04-01-2019
Registered!!

The 0420 is fixed. The car had the 1457 code sense we bought it. The issue im trying to solve is the stall when coming to a stop. The rpms seem to drop to the point it stalls. Sometimes it starts right back up and sometimes it struggles. No light comes on for this. Like i said before i cleaned the throttle body and the IAC and that didnt change anything.

Quick Reply: Car shuts off