Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Radiator replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red_Chaos1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Radiator replacement questions

Okay, so of the 2 biggest mechanical issues I have left to fix, the radiator seems to be more pressing. It's been slowly leaking coolant for quite some time now but when I checked it out last night and saw from where and how it became clear I really should fix it sooner than later (hairline crack top front, directly in front of the large hose connection below the filler). I see Amazon has a Denso replacement for cheap, and I know that Denso is an OEM part maker for Honda, but I'm not super keen on the use of plastic. For about 2.5x more I can get an all aluminum one that's all "high performance" and such (2 row, etc.). Now while the fitment thing says the aluminum one fits my car, the part desc. says MT only, and I note in the picture it doesn't seem to have the 2 brass stems coming off of it like the Denso one does.

I guess my first question is, do I have a legitimate concern about the use of plastics, and 2, is going for that all metal one worth it to avoid plastics? Pretty much every other compatible rad I can find seems to be the same single row plastic/aluminum composition. Just want to be sure I'm getting something good that won't fail quick. TIA.
Old 02-26-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Radiator replacement questions

Originally Posted by Red_Chaos1
Just want to be sure I'm getting something good that won't fail quick.

then how about a honda OEM rad?
Old 02-26-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
then how about a honda OEM rad?
Same as the Denso (if not a Denso part) from all that I read, and so likely to eventually have the same problem as the current one, namely plastic wearing out, cracking, leaking coolant, and needing replacement.
Old 02-27-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I bought the Denso one from Amazon. The oem is plastic. Being plastic is not always a bad thing. I felt the Denso was good quality for the price.

I also found that the Denso seemed to an OE match since they make the OEM radiator.
Old 02-29-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Red_Chaos1
Now while the fitment thing says the aluminum one fits my car, the part desc. says MT only, and I note in the picture it doesn't seem to have the 2 brass stems coming off of it like the Denso one does.
Do you have a manual trans car? Because if you have an auto then you may need those two brass fittings for the auto tranny.
Old 02-29-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Alternatively, you can tap the coolant lines and run a dedicated transmission cooler. I'm speaking theoretically, however, since 1) I have manual tranny and 2) I haven't looked into it at all.

Edit: that is, of course, you decide on the high performance MT-only rad
Old 03-02-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
I bought the Denso one from Amazon. The oem is plastic. Being plastic is not always a bad thing. I felt the Denso was good quality for the price.

I also found that the Denso seemed to an OE match since they make the OEM radiator.
Yeah, I just went ahead and got the Denso one. If this one made it this far before leaking, the new one will undoubtedly outlive the car.

Originally Posted by Colin42
Do you have a manual trans car? Because if you have an auto then you may need those two brass fittings for the auto tranny.
Nope, auto.

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Alternatively, you can tap the coolant lines and run a dedicated transmission cooler. I'm speaking theoretically, however, since 1) I have manual tranny and 2) I haven't looked into it at all.

Edit: that is, of course, you decide on the high performance MT-only rad
Yeah, no. No sense in trying to do things the hard way. I have the Denso rad coming. For now I cleaned the area where the rad is breaking, sanded it down, and JB Welded it. It's still leaking a little but it should hold until the new rad arrives.
Old 03-02-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, figured as much. Just thought I'd throw another option out there
Old 03-03-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Yeah, figured as much. Just thought I'd throw another option out there
It's appreciated. Maybe if I didn't have a bunch of other more important stuff I needed to do with the car I might have tackled such a project.