Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

01 EX, Bad Oil Leak, causes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
f18cmech is an unknown quantity at this point
01 EX, Bad Oil Leak, causes?

Hi all,
My 2001 Civic EX Auto has 203,000 miles on it and its leaking pretty bad underneath. Question: Is it possible the PCV system is clogged causing leaks? I used to own a Volvo that was famous for this and the idea was to replace the system BEFORE the leaks started. Can the same be said for any car?
Old 12-17-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 01 EX, Bad Oil Leak, causes?

Possible but not real likely.

Leaks at 200k are typical and expected.
Look for the source of the leaks.
Every rubber seal and gasket on the engine is suspect at that kind of mileage.

You could clean everything off and start fresh and dry, then drive it then look for sources of leaks.
Old 12-17-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

1) Clean as much grease, grime and dirt off your engine and transmission as possible.
2) After cleaning engine place a piece of cardboard under the engine and transmission that runs from tire to tire (front) and is a foot wider than the engine on both sides.
3) Idle and occassionally rev engine (after reaching operating temperature)
for about 15 minutes. Shut off engine and wait another 15 minutes to check cardboard.
4) Take pictures of any oil or transmission fluid stains that appear on the card board. Also, inspect engine/transmssion and take pics of oil or tran fluid leaks.
5) Post pics here so we can give feedback

Typical sources of oil leaks are:
A. Passenger side
1) Valve cover gasket
2) Cam plug/seal
3) Vtech solenoid gasket (snowman)
4) oil pan seal (corners)
5) Rear main seal

B. Driver's side:
1) Crankshaft seal
2) Oil pan seal (corners)
4) Valve cover gasket
5) Oil dipstick tube O-ring.

You can remove the EGR valve and clean it out with brake cleaner. I did this with my mom's car and it didn't hurt it in any way. It did remove a bit of carbon build up from it.

IMO best way to clean off engine and transmission is to put the front of the car on jackstands and use a lot of old rags and Berryman B33 engine cleaner while engine is cold. Remove air filter box and cover alternator with aluminum foil. Clean from top to bottom..should take about an hour or two for complete cleaning.
Old 12-17-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

3) Vtech solenoid gasket (snowman)
WTF Snowman?

There are 2 rubber gaskets that can be replaced on the VTEC solenoid, even though one of them is not listed in parts catalog after about 1995 model year.
Old 12-18-2015

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
WTF Snowman?

There are 2 rubber gaskets that can be replaced on the VTEC solenoid, even though one of them is not listed in parts catalog after about 1995 model year.
Another 6th gen reference in the 7th gen arena: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/udkAAOxyNSVSREIA/$%28KGrHqMOKowFIuBMF1ByBSREI!JwV!~~60_35.JPG?set_i d=880000500F
the big gasket looks like a snowman. cheer up it's X-mas ..lol
Old 12-18-2015

WTF Snowman?

Another 6th gen reference in the 7th gen arena:
the big gasket looks like a snowman. cheer up it's X-mas ..lol
I am now aware the 7th gen does not look like a snowman.

Guess I am not the only one: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...snowman+gasket
Old 12-18-2015

Found a note I made some time ago:

6th and 7th gen CIVIC VTEC takes upper gasket for 5th gen 36172-P08-015

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ml#post4675119
Old 12-20-2015

Found a note I made some time ago:

6th and 7th gen CIVIC VTEC takes upper gasket for 5th gen 36172-P08-015

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ml#post4675119
OP: if you have a Vtec leak..it's been my experience that Hondabond on the gasket(s) is needed to keep it from leaking oil even when the mounting bolts are torqued to spec (9 or 11 ft.lbs IIRC).
Old 12-20-2015

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson
OP: if you have a Vtec leak..it's been my experience that Hondabond on the gasket(s) is needed to keep it from leaking oil even when the mounting bolts are torqued to spec (9 or 11 ft.lbs IIRC).
I would not do that. I don't want any chance of contaminating those tiny oil passages into the rocker arm pins.

NEW rubber gaskets seal just fine, no additional sealer should ever be necessary.
Old 12-20-2015

I would not do that. I don't want any chance of contaminating those tiny oil passages into the rocker arm pins.

NEW rubber gaskets seal just fine, no additional sealer should ever be necessary.
I had to hondabond two separate 6th gen Vtec engines. Could not get them to stop leaking otherwise. I was very careful to apply over just the rubber gasket and avoid passages and screen. Both ran fine since.

I did try them both with seal only first but, they leaked... maybe the Vtec solenoid mating surfaces were warped?. I read several threads where others had the same issue and only fix was Hondabond or RTV.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...+%2B+hondabond

I do agree it's best to try with gasket only first. Also, maybe the 7th gen Vtecs solenoids are less prone to warping?

Last edited by Wankenstein; 12-20-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-20-2015

I wonder if it may be due to scratched surfaces?
Old 12-20-2015

I wonder if it may be due to scratched surfaces?
It's possible. I cleaned both mating surfaces off as best I could with brake cleaner and a lint-free rag.

I added more to my previous post.