Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Car rpm dont go up more than 3k!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
azi90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Car rpm dont go up more than 3k!!

So my 2004 civic canadian si or American EX doesnt pick its speed after 140km/h .. my car is perfectly fine till 140 but as soon as i hit 140 the speed just wont go up .. my rpm will go to 4k and it will drop back to 3k itself even if im flooring the gas pedal .. i will only pickup 5km/h from 140 if i keep the pedal on the floor for about 15 seconds... does it sound like the car has speed limiter to you guys ?
Old 02-15-2013
Registered!!

Re: Car rpm dont go up more than 3k!!

and oh i just had my spark plugs and air filter replaced ...
Old 02-15-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Do you have a CEL? Have you checked your oil level lately and made sure it's where it needs to be?

It sounds like you have a VTEC issue of some sort, but looking at the oil level and making sure it's full would be your first and easiest step. Low oil level and oil pressure will not allow the VTEC to operate properly and will put the car in "limp mode".
Old 02-15-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

140km/h
So....what's the speed limit there?
Old 02-15-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Matt_75
Do you have a CEL? Have you checked your oil level lately and made sure it's where it needs to be?

It sounds like you have a VTEC issue of some sort, but looking at the oil level and making sure it's full would be your first and easiest step. Low oil level and oil pressure will not allow the VTEC to operate properly and will put the car in "limp mode".
By oil level i am assuming engine oil ? yes my i just changed my engine oil and no i dont have any engine lights either
Old 02-15-2013

Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by azi90
By oil level i am assuming engine oil ? yes my i just cahnged my engine and no i dont have any engine lights either
Yes oil level. Did you change your engine oil or did someone do it for you? If you didn't do it you should check the level.
Old 02-15-2013

Originally Posted by ezone
So....what's the speed limit there?
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Almost 87 mph. Wow.
Old 02-15-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If you accelerate from a dead stop, gas pedal flat on the floor: Does the engine run out of "oomph" at 4000 RPM......... or does it pull strong all the way up to redline and then shift?

Does it still pull strong if you floor it and let it shift at redline through all the gears?
Old 02-15-2013

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Almost 87 mph. Wow.
Sometimes I use this excuse at work, since I'm a law-abiding citizen and all. The fastest speed limit near work is 65 MPH.
Old 02-15-2013
Registered!!

Yes oil level. Did you change your engine oil or did someone do it for you? If you didn't do it you should check the level.
i got it changed from garage .. and i just checked it myself the oil is clean and level is ffine
Old 02-15-2013
Registered!!

If you accelerate from a dead stop, gas pedal flat on the floor: Does the engine run out of "oomph" at 4000 RPM......... or does it pull strong all the way up to redline and then shift?

Does it still pull strong if you floor it and let it shift at redline through all the gears?
i dont get clear picture of what ur saying .. what oo mph ? i never tried pedaling gas pedal to the floor from start but i have no problem in car picking speed from 0-140 .. its only after 140 it struggles .. and my gear shifting seems fine to me .. al gears change at about 3k rpm ...

Last edited by azi90; 02-15-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-15-2013
Registered!!

i was thinking what if the car has governor on it ? could it be that ?
Old 02-15-2013

i dont get clear picture of what ur saying .. what oo mph ? i never tried pedaling gas pedal to the floor from start but i have no problem in car picking speed from 0-140 .. its only after 140 it struggles .. and my gear shifting seems fine to me .. al gears change at about 3k rpm ...
Maybe that's all the power your car can put out. Maybe the engine is just worn out. There's no govenor on these vehicles unless somebody else put it there AFAIK.

I thought you were having problems getting it over 4K in any gear, but I was obviously mistaken.
Old 02-15-2013
Registered!!

Maybe that's all the power your car can put out. Maybe the engine is just worn out. There's no govenor on these vehicles unless somebody else put it there AFAIK.

I thought you were having problems getting it over 4K in any gear, but I was obviously mistaken.
How that possible.. the cars stock limit is 200 .. and my engine has only 156k kilometers on it .. and i dont know its automiatic so ofcourse the car shifts its gear before i hit 4k rpm.. its the last gear that doesnt hit 4k rpm and even if it does it jus comes back to 3 its self
Old 02-15-2013

How that possible.. the cars stock limit is 200 .. and my engine has only 156k kilometers on it .. and i dont know its automiatic so ofcourse the car shifts its gear before i hit 4k rpm
So are you saying in every gear when you floor the pedal from a stop that the engine always shifts at or below 4k rpm?
Old 02-15-2013
Registered!!

So are you saying in every gear when you floor the pedal from a stop that the engine always shifts at or below 4k rpm?
my engine shifts right at 3k rpm to next gear ... and at last gear my rpm goes up high till 4k but they dont stay there and they drop back to 3k even if i dont lift my foot off the pedal.. hence my speed stays at 140
Old 02-15-2013
Registered!!

my engine shifts right at 3k rpm to next gear ... and at last gear my rpm goes up high till 4k but they dont stay there and they drop back to 3k even if i dont lift my foot off the pedal.. hence my speed stays at 140
and oh my car shifts at 3k rpm if i pedal normaly.. if i pedal it hard the revs can go up to 3.5 before shifting to new gear .. but yah never over 4k
Old 02-15-2013

and oh my car shifts at 3k rpm if i pedal normaly.. if i pedal it hard the revs can go up to 3.5 before shifting to new gear .. but yah never over 4k
its automiatic so ofcourse the car shifts its gear before i hit 4k rpm..
Wrong.

Don't be a Sally. MAN UP and mash that damned pedal like you mean it.

Let's see if it is broke.....

Pull all the floor mats out from under the gas pedal so the pedal can really hit the floor.
FLOOR IT FROM A DEAD STOP.
KEEP IT FLOORED until you hit top speed.

What RPM did it shift at?
Did it reach redline?
If not, what did it do?
Old 02-15-2013

what oo mph ?
It's one word, not two.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/oomph

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=oomph

Damn kids.
Old 02-15-2013
Registered!!

Lol funny .. this kid is 22 years old
Old 02-15-2013
Registered!!

Wrong.

Don't be a Sally. MAN UP and mash that damned pedal like you mean it.

Let's see if it is broke.....

Pull all the floor mats out from under the gas pedal so the pedal can really hit the floor.
FLOOR IT FROM A DEAD STOP.
KEEP IT FLOORED until you hit top speed.

Did it reach redline?
If not, what did it do?
i dont know how to floor it from zero lol for that i need a big empty street where there are no cops lol
Old 02-15-2013

i dont know how to floor it from zero lol for that i need a big empty street where there are no cops lol
Why? I didn't tell you to squeak the tires.

All I want to know is the MAX RPM it will shift at. Gas pedal on the floor until it shifts. That's only gonna be like 50kmh(?) when it shifts out of first gear.

You found someplace on the highway to go 140kmh, you can figure out where to do this.

I didn't think this was that tough to figure out.
Old 02-15-2013
Registered!!

Why? I didn't tell you to squeak the tires.

All I want to know is the MAX RPM it will shift at. Gas pedal on the floor until it shifts. That's only gonna be like 50kmh(?) when it shifts out of first gear.

You found someplace on the highway to go 140kmh, you can figure out where to do this.

I didn't think this was that tough to figure out.
hmm ill try to do this today
Old 02-15-2013

Please note the rest of the stuff I was asking earlier:

Did it reach redline?
If not, what did it do?
Old 02-15-2013
Registered!!

Please note the rest of the stuff I was asking earlier:

Did it reach redline?
If not, what did it do?
yah ill take a note of it... thanks
Old 02-16-2013
Registered!!

Ok so ya last nite i was going on highway and instead of boosting my car from beginning i tried picking speed from 90 and i pressed my pedal all the way in .. the car flew like rocket and rpms went up high till redline :S .. which is pretty weird because if i try to pickup slowly instead of jus going crazy on rev the car doesnt do anything and speed doesnt go up
Old 02-16-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

I think your car is fine.

Its a Civic, not a rocket ship.
Old 02-16-2013

Ok so ya last nite i was going on highway and instead of boosting my car from beginning i tried picking speed from 90 and i pressed my pedal all the way in .. the car flew like rocket and rpms went up high till redline :S ..
So.......what is top speed now?
Old 02-16-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
I think your car is fine.

Its a Civic, not a rocket ship.
lol yah i know but its si/ american ex and cmon my dads 02 corolla can pick the speed too till 160 if i push the accelerator normally .. thats what i tried doing and it didnt go up from 140 but when i slammed it on 90kmh my car went uptill 160 with 6k rpms and i haad to stop there because iknow my car was gonnna go further
Old 02-17-2013
Registered!!

lol yah i know but its si/ american ex and cmon my dads 02 corolla can pick the speed too till 160 if i push the accelerator normally .. thats what i tried doing and it didnt go up from 140 but when i slammed it on 90kmh my car went uptill 160 with 6k rpms and i haad to stop there because iknow my car was gonnna go further
bump !! anyone ?

Quick Reply: Car rpm dont go up more than 3k!!