Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2001 Honda civic Exhaust Manifold Cherry Red After Headgasket replacemnet NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wetpinkpants is on a distinguished road
2001 Honda civic Exhaust Manifold Cherry Red After Headgasket replacemnet NEED HELP!

I have a 2001 Honda Civic LX and I replaced the headgasket ,timing belt and so on. When I got back together it strated and I let run for a about 15 mins and then later I took it for a test drive and when I got back their was smoke from under the hood and the exhaust manifold was cherry red and really hot when I was driving it seem to shift different too. Any idea what I did wrong or what it could be? Thanks
Old 04-11-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 Honda civic Exhaust Manifold Cherry Red After Headgasket replacemnet NEED HE

thats not normal. usually happens when the cat converter is clogged. im not sure where to start.
Old 04-11-2011
Registered!!

Re: 2001 Honda civic Exhaust Manifold Cherry Red After Headgasket replacemnet NEED HE

I have good exhaust coming out ? The check light is on in the car too.
Old 04-11-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

see what the code is saying first
Old 04-11-2011
Registered!!

Ok I found out what code they are the first one is PO335 Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor circuit no signal. The car has a new Crankshaft sensor or does that mean something else? The other one is P1298 and I dont know what that means. I dont know if these would make the car run lean ? to make the manifold hot?
Old 04-11-2011
Premium Member

yup crankshaft position sensor is bad. either a loose connection or a bad sensor. did you get a honda part or generic from the auto store? this sensor is very important in telling the ecu how the crank is turning. you could seriously mess up the motor with a bad sensor.

p1298 is a honda specific code for ELD malfunction. ELD is the electronic load detector. this is a small part in the fuse box that decides when to turn the alternator on and off depending on how much electrical load there is.
Old 04-11-2011
Registered!!

It was a generic crankshaft is that bad? and how do you fix the other code P1298 ? Do any of these have to do with the exhaust manifold getting hot? Thanks for all your time
Old 04-12-2011
Premium Member

well aftermarket parts quality isnt always great, hence the reason why it failed so fast or never worked to begin with. for the eld, you need to buy a new one and swap it out. the ckp can affect how the engine runs and if it is on the rich side for a/f mix, you can get extremely hot exhaust which causes all sorts of issues. when you fix the problems, it would be a good idea to replace both oxygen sensors also.
Old 04-12-2011
Registered!!

I first want to start off and thank you for you time and sorry for all the questions. I thought if the crank shaft sensor didnt work the car wont start? So I should replace the crankshaft sensor with a real Honda part,the ELD and both Oxygen sensors? Thanks
Old 04-12-2011
Premium Member

yeah start with the crank sensor cause thats the most important. then do the eld and make sure the car runs normally. if it does, do the o2 sensors.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...-detector.html