Electrical Post your questions about electrical issues here!

Low Beam intermittent issue.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CMF2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Low Beam intermittent issue.

I’ve looked for a solution before creating a new thread, so apologies if I’ve missed the answer to this.
the car is a 2002 civic hatchback.
My headlights (dipped beam only) are turning themselves off, seemingly at random. Not cool.
so...facts surrounding this. The bulbs are ok on both sides. They turn off (and on) simultaneously. With the car stationary and the engine off I can hear the relays clicking and most times the lights turn on. However, once in a while I turn the stalk, I can hear the relays click-but no lights. Often they will turn on a second later. So I’m think it’s not the stalk. No amount of jiggling affects this. Side lights and high beam are working normally.
Any thoughts?
many thanks.
Old 03-26-2021
Super Moderator

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,320 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: Low Beam intermittent issue.

The headlight relays are in the under-hood box, sure you're hearing those click? The taillight relay is in the under-dash box, you may be hearing that.

The fact that they come on at the same time pretty much rules out an issue with the relays/fuses as there's a separate one for each headlight. I would definitely suspect the combination switch, there was a recall for some of them but not sure it would cause your issue.