Electrical Post your questions about electrical issues here!

2005 Honda Civic starts then stalls when headlights are turned on

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2020
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
old_dog has a spectacular aura aboutold_dog has a spectacular aura aboutold_dog has a spectacular aura about
2005 Honda Civic starts then stalls when headlights are turned on

Got a 2005 honda civic that will start but once you do get it running it stalls out as soon as you turn on the headlights, Once it stalls out the dash lights are non-existent. Just the oil pressure light, engine light and immobilizer light. Once you take the key out you can cause the oil pressure light to change it's illumination level by using the wiper blades. The car is dead as a nail at this stage and will not restart until a fair amount of time has passed....HELP?????
Old 02-10-2020
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,137 Likes on 951 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 2005 Honda Civic starts then stalls when headlights are turned on

Sounds like there's a short somewhere, any hacked up wiring under the dash? Any aftermarket wiring?
Old 02-10-2020
Registered!!

old_dog has a spectacular aura aboutold_dog has a spectacular aura aboutold_dog has a spectacular aura about

NO, no hacked up wiring, this started about 1 month ago,
Old 02-11-2020

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

nothing aftermarket either?
know how to use a test light?
Old 02-11-2020
Registered!!

I took the car to the garage today, funny thing is the thing that was causing it to stall out didn't cause it to stall out (headlight controller on the steering column). Started the car let it idle for 20 minutes, checked to see if I had brake lights (yes), then drove it to the garage. Waited for the mechanic to come out and then hit the light controller and no matter what you did with it the engine never stalled.....So they have the car now and will check it out......The mechanic was mystified......thanks for the help if and when I get the right answer I'll post the results.
Old 02-24-2020
Registered!!

Had the car back for a week. Mechanic said he tried to get the car to do the NO START THING multiple times. Couldn't make it happen. Did put a new ground wire from the front Radiator area to the engine block. Something that has been missing for a year or so. If it pops up again and I can figure it out I'll post the results.
Old 02-24-2020

A missing ground would definitely contribute to the problem