Electrical Post your questions about electrical issues here!

Car ALMOST shuts off but doesn't... All gauges and lights flicker

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rockwell is an unknown quantity at this point
Car ALMOST shuts off but doesn't... All gauges and lights flicker

What causes the intermittent loss of power to all the gauges and makes the car almost stall but then jump back to normal operation without actually stalling. All gauges go to zero and all srs, abs, and ignition switch pictures flash..BUT NOT THE BATTERY LIGHT. The car normally doesn't turn off but it did for the first time a month ago. It completely turned off once while driving and power was lost in the power brakes and steering. HELP!! has anyone experienced this? I've had it at Brown's Honda in Arlington VA and they have checked it out twice with computer diag but can't find anything. It is unpredictable and may or may not happen again for months.

Ideas!?
Old 02-15-2010
Falken Master

cwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nice
Re: Car ALMOST shuts off but doesn't... All gauges and lights flicker

Check your ground wires, I had the car stall and also shut off while id take corners too hard, turned out to be something with the battery. I'd just go to sears and pick up at diehard gold battery and start from there .
Old 02-17-2010
Registered!!

revo00099 is an unknown quantity at this point

i am facing similar problems, i was driving at night w/lights on, all of a sudden all power started to go, soon enough my car shut down on me on a highway, figured it was the alternator, took it out checked and passed, checked battery and it passed as well. found the main battery fuse was blown, replaced, tried the car again and same prob happened without the fuse blowing. the battery will drain over night. figuring there is some sort of short somewhere in the electrical system possibly headlights ??? your situation sounds the same. dont know what it is going to do some more trouble shooting today hope i come up with something i will let you kno. let me know if you happen to find anything, could possibly save me alot of work. ? are the sockets on your headlight melted, have you had problems with your lighting system?
Old 02-23-2010
Falken Master

cwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nice

i had no problems with my lighting system, i upgrade the stock harnesses to high voltage ones and did the HID Conversion kit ontop of that. Maybe try upgrading your grounding cables, and check the cables going from and to the battery
Old 02-23-2010
Registered!!

joeld is an unknown quantity at this point

I have this 2006 Civic which for several weeks experienced intermittent power fluctation or flicker with the stereo and the dashboard lights turning off and on in 1-2 secs while I'm driving. When I turned off the aircon, problem disappears. After several days with the aircon and stereo running, I would experience it again. Then turning off the aircon would solve it again. Until today I was worried that the fluctuation would get worse and put me in danger while driving I consulted a car electrician. Only to find out that one of the terminal connection of the battery is loose and you can twist and remove it so easily. When it was tightened I test drive my car with aircon and stereo running and problem seems to permanently disappeared.
Old 03-01-2010
Registered!!

2k1_Toaster will become famous soon enough

Same thing happened to me a couple years ago. It was the positive battery terminal, it was loose. Just tightened it and it worked.
Old 02-19-2018
Registered!!

bkbryant is an unknown quantity at this point
01 civic lx

driving at night with headlights on, all guages will suddenly stop working, and a mile or two further, the car dies, battery dead. if i pull over right when guages quit and put in park with headlights off, everything works again. start driving again, same thing. when i kill the car and try to crank it back, batter dead. new battery, new alternator..... PLEASE HELP
Old 01-30-2020
Registered!!

02sivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 01 civic lx

Hello, I just got a 02 last night and it did the same thing, have you found the culprit? Much thanks!

QUOTE=bkbryant;4740039]driving at night with headlights on, all guages will suddenly stop working, and a mile or two further, the car dies, battery dead. if i pull over right when guages quit and put in park with headlights off, everything works again. start driving again, same thing. when i kill the car and try to crank it back, batter dead. new battery, new alternator..... PLEASE HELP[/QUOTE]
Old 01-30-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,848 Likes on 1,300 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Sounds like the alternator isn't charging the battery. Check battery cables, ensure they're clean and tight. Check battery voltage with the engine on and off.
Old 01-30-2020
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

And make sure the 3 mounting bolts for the alternator are not loose as these act as grounding points for the alternator. This is a fairly common issue.