Canada East Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland

tinted license plate protectors in ontario...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Narc is an unknown quantity at this point
Why don't you guys just ask me when you have legal questions!

They are illigal. Even if they are clean, they are a plate obstruction. They obscure the plate. Now with te ETR, case law has been put forth stipulating that the ETR cameras may have dificulty reading the plate under certain light/weather conditions regardless of whether the plate cover is clean or not.

The plate must be clearly visible from all angles. Even a clean, clear plate cover may slightly obscure the plate numbers or the portion which reads Ontario, thus also making it illigal. Also the officer has the authority to seize as evidence.

It is without question the dumbest law out there.

As for legitimate stores selling illigal merchandise.....air intake contrevenes the Environmental Protection act, Mufflers, plate lights, head lights, side marker lights, etc are all illigal under HTA but they all sell it.

I swear half the **** in the HTA (Highway Traffic Act) is pointless. As if plate covers pose any threat to the public.

I should have been a firefighter!
Old 08-13-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AzimuthX is an unknown quantity at this point
Never been pulled over with smoked covers, however that statement can varied upon different vehicles. Along with "blue" license plate rear lights. These are easy to accumulate salt and dirt, thats a big ticket there for obstruction of licenese plate view, and to stay on topic, according to the HTA, there shall be no obstruction to view the plate. However if you were to get a ticket, take a picture of the plate with and without the cover and tell them it is clear.
Old 08-14-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dasica is an unknown quantity at this point
In London last summer I saw a cop hand these kids in a HB screwdriver and take it off right there. But I think since evrybody is getting them now(including my old man) cops will let them go, but I think they can give you a ticket. But I've seen the blue ones a MTO before so use that as a argument. I'm getting the smoked ones for my car, tell you guys how that goes.