Canada East Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland

Who wants to do some networking for me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
Who wants to do some networking for me?

Hello all,

I require a bit of help in completing a project that Ive been meaning to do around the house for quite sometime. Since my car alarm and cordless phones make WiFi service undependable I need to do a clean wiring job from my basement to a room on the upper level. This project may include networking a few other rooms in the house however that can be done on the same day or broken over a few projects. This project will not involve any network setup or any computer experince. Simply running the cables and making it look good.

I can provide all the neccassary tools with the exception of whatever tool terminates the ethernet cable. Drills (including the drill bit for drilling through bricks) varous sized ladders. I can purchase any minor materials that are required to finish the job properly.

What I expect?

-Someone with networking and cable fishing experince
-Someone who can do a clean job, I want those ethernet plates on my wall.
-Can work after 5pm weekdays or on weekends.

I am willing to pay someone a resonable wage for the "contract", if you want to call it that. I will also buy lunch or cook up some Fillet Mingon on the BBQ for the person who takes the contract. Ask Telly im an easy guy to work for

This wont be a very big job, so if you could e-mail me with a rough price (wont hold you to it until you actually see my house and the amount of work involved) but more importantly what experince or skills you have that would qualify you for the job. email is aggressiveadam at telus dot blackberry dot net

Last edited by AggressiveAdam; 05-07-2006 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-20-2006
Registered!!

dragon208 is an unknown quantity at this point
you must know your house top to bottom to run all those wires.. usually i think u can try to follow your electrical wires around the house to get to the basemenet and vice versa... this requires more then just 1 person to do the job btw.... cause u need someone to fish the ethernet wire down the wall and then another person at the other end to find the cable and tug on it slowly.. can be done by 1 person, but just takes a bit more time since you have to run around the house! lol..

So what kind of Wifi were u using before? Wireless G or B? was it placed in the middle of the house to level out the signal quality around the house? Depending on the age of the house and the complexity of the floor plans are for the house, I think you should move your Wifi around until you find a better place with good reception. rather then running ethernet wires. Or if you want a less complex job, try to run the wires around the house on the floor and above the doors but very close to the wall...
Old 05-26-2006
Registered!!

AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by dragon208
you must know your house top to bottom to run all those wires.. usually i think u can try to follow your electrical wires around the house to get to the basemenet and vice versa... this requires more then just 1 person to do the job btw.... cause u need someone to fish the ethernet wire down the wall and then another person at the other end to find the cable and tug on it slowly.. can be done by 1 person, but just takes a bit more time since you have to run around the house! lol..

So what kind of Wifi were u using before? Wireless G or B? was it placed in the middle of the house to level out the signal quality around the house? Depending on the age of the house and the complexity of the floor plans are for the house, I think you should move your Wifi around until you find a better place with good reception. rather then running ethernet wires. Or if you want a less complex job, try to run the wires around the house on the floor and above the doors but very close to the wall...
Good advice, I have a G connection and am unable nore do I want to locate it to the main floor. We need a reliable conncetion in multiple rooms and hard wiring is the way to go.

The house is a pertty big and 32 years old. I can give a hand fishing the wires a long with my brother. If fishing was too hard I am not opposed to drilling through the brick (i have the drill + bit) and running it outside.

I now have the crimpers to terminate the ends of the cables.

Anyone intrested?
Old 05-26-2006
Registered!!

dragon208 is an unknown quantity at this point
well since i can get some help doing this, i dun't think it'll be too hard for me to help u guys out.. but since the house is so old.. my opinion.. i think runnign the wires through the top of the ceiling int he small corner or something rather then fishing it and drilling holes.. just cause of the age of the house.. just run it as neat looking as u can..

Make sure u buy brand new good quality wires, cause u dun' want to regret it after that everything is hooked up and there not any good then ur goin to run them all over again! lol..

Make sure on the corners, or around corners, not to twist and turn the wires more then 90 degrees.. they have a limited turning capacity..

Whereis ur place located... maybe it's nearby i can help out if ur realli having trouble...