Canada East Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland

help me decide...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
infinite is an unknown quantity at this point
help me decide...

i have an offer for $17,000 for my car and everything i've listed below. should i keep the civic or sell it? i really like my civic since it's the first car i've bought...however, i'll be purchasing a 2005 WRX STI this April. i don't really need the $17,000 to put towards the new car since i have money saved up. if i did sell the car i'd use the money to upgrade my WRX but it would be nice to have two cars. what should i do?

here are my cars current specs:

2002 Civic LX-G *nitehawk black* (41,000 kms)

-automatic
-power steering
-power mirrors
-heated mirrors
-power locks/windows
-keyless entry
-air conditioning
-cd player

MODS:

-full magnaflow catback exhaust system
-neuspeed sport lowering springs
-ingalls camber kit (all around)
-tokico hp shocks (blues)
-tyc projector headlights
-tyc altezza taillights
-18" konig rims w/parada spec 2

i'm also including my OEM shocks, springs, headlights, taillights, exhaust system, rear control arms, and winter steelies w/honda covers.
Old 01-16-2005
Lost in the Matrix

Transformer_Guy is on a distinguished road
I'd say sell it and put the money toward the STi. What would you need 2 cars for unless you plan on parking your STi away for the winter
Old 01-16-2005
<--That really is ME

vicLX is an unknown quantity at this point
the STI can be driven all year around so no worries about winter.. In my opinion sell the civic and use some of the money for SUSPENSION upgrades since the STI lacks that... and better BRAKES... those are the only 2 things the makes the EVO VIII a bit better NOT better a BIT better i still love the STI more... and the rest of the money you can put towards other fun stuff like beer and chicks!!! OHHH also buy more rims and wheels... keep the STI stock RIMS with winters TIRES , buy LIGHT WEIGHT rims for speed with great tires and a nice SHOW rims with avg. tires..

dont forget.. SUSPENSION and BRAKES!!!

good luck with the STI buddy

Last edited by vicLX; 01-16-2005 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-16-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by vicLX
the STI can be driven all year around so no worries about winter.. In my opinion sell the civic and use some of the money for SUSPENSION upgrades since the STI lacks that... and better BRAKES... those are the only 2 things the makes the EVO VIII a bit better NOT better a BIT better i still love the STI more... and the rest of the money you can put towards other fun stuff like beer and chicks!!! OHHH also buy more rims and wheels... keep the STI stock RIMS with winters TIRES , buy LIGHT WEIGHT rims for speed with great tires and a nice SHOW rims with avg. tires..

dont forget.. SUSPENSION and BRAKES!!!

good luck with the STI buddy

what's wrong with the stock sti suspension? isn't it designed and tuned by the same guys that designed the sti rally car suspension? i don't see anything wrong with the stock ventilated, piston caliper, brembo brakes. what suspension and brake setup would you upgrade too?

the only things i'm looking to add to the sti are some 19" shoes, a greddy exhaust system and a booming audio system. i don't really want to touch the stock suspension because i feel it's more than enough to handle the way i drive.(which btw is not hard at all) the only problem i can see with the suspension is that it's a bit high off the ground but then again, the entire concept of the car was borrowed from a rally car. hopefully 19's will fill the gap up a bit.
Old 01-16-2005
Registered!!

Blkcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Humm i dun think stock STI suspension is all that bad for daily driving, aftermarket suspension without the right settings might be even worst then stock suspension..... don't know how good the new factory STIs are, i was refering about the older versions STI in japan, so don't quote me on nething

Last edited by Blkcivic; 01-16-2005 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-17-2005
<--That really is ME

I was mistaken its the EVO VIII with the bad brakes.. i didnt say there was anything wrong with the STi suspension.. i just read it could be better..
Old 01-17-2005
Registered!!

1llmatic will become famous soon enough
STI suspension is good. If you are going to upgrade make sure you get the good stuff.

if money isn't an issue then just keep the civic.
Old 01-17-2005
The Wierdest and Funniest Mofo 7th Gen Has Ever Seen As Voted

_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
Well listen up...Sell the VIC buy your dream car and keep about 1500 or 2000 for a winter car...The STI can take on winters for sure but why would you want to put a super nice car like that through winter..Plus your STI will stay High as for resale...The STI doesnt need brakes man 4 piston calipers all round..And the rims are fine as they are ...Maybe a stereo upgrade a blow off vlave and other small parts ...
Old 01-17-2005
Back from the dead

Liro is an unknown quantity at this point
it sounds like you have very mild plans for the STI anyways so you might as well keep it....
Old 01-17-2005
Registered!!

nitehawk is an unknown quantity at this point
I say you keep the civic and tell the guy to buy mine for $17,000 so I can get a WRX too....serious.
Old 01-17-2005
Lost in the Matrix

Dont go with a Greddy exhaust system. Spend the extra cash on the HKS carbon-ti exhaust. My friend has been doin some research for his STi and is gonna go with that
Old 01-17-2005
up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-b-a-b-a-start

R1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of light
Sell the Civic and buy a WRX and not the STi. Here's why:

WRX = $34,495
STi = $47,995

You save yourself $13,500.

With the STi, you're paying almost 14grand more for 17's, bigger hood scoop, spoiler, and a little more power. Not worth it.
Also the STi get's the 2.5 litre engine compared to the 2.0 litre that's in the WRX. Sure you get more desplacement but in acutalitly, the 2.0 is a way better engine then the 2.5. In Japan, the STi comes with the 2.0 and makes the same amount of power. Only in North America do the STi's come with the 2.5 only because they couldn't get the 2.0 to pass emisions.

With that kinda money you save by getting the WRX, plus the $17,000 you get for your Civic, you can make it look, handle, and be faster then an STi.

just my 2 cents
Old 01-17-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by R1Style
Sell the Civic and buy a WRX and not the STi. Here's why:

WRX = $34,495
STi = $47,995

You save yourself $13,500.

With the STi, you're paying almost 14grand more for 17's, bigger hood scoop, spoiler, and a little more power. Not worth it.
Also the STi get's the 2.5 litre engine compared to the 2.0 litre that's in the WRX. Sure you get more desplacement but in acutalitly, the 2.0 is a way better engine then the 2.5. In Japan, the STi comes with the 2.0 and makes the same amount of power. Only in North America do the STi's come with the 2.5 only because they couldn't get the 2.0 to pass emisions.

With that kinda money you save by getting the WRX, plus the $17,000 you get for your Civic, you can make it look, handle, and be faster then an STi.

just my 2 cents

the bumpers on the STI are different from the WRX. the STI looks better. the brakes and suspension are better on the STI and i really like the STI wing. as far as upgrading my engine goes i'm not really into racing...maybe a few random races at the lights just to test the acceleration but nothing more, so i don't really care to upgrade besides at 300HP is it really necessary to upgrade?
Old 01-17-2005
Back from the dead

you really have no reason to keep the civic in that case...what are you going to do with 2 daily drivers?
Old 01-17-2005
Registered!!

well, i guess once i've sold the civic i have no reason to be visiting this site. got to find a canadian wrx site.
Old 01-17-2005
up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-b-a-b-a-start

R1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by infinite
the bumpers on the STI are different from the WRX. the STI looks better. the brakes and suspension are better on the STI and i really like the STI wing. as far as upgrading my engine goes i'm not really into racing...maybe a few random races at the lights just to test the acceleration but nothing more, so i don't really care to upgrade besides at 300HP is it really necessary to upgrade?
With the money you save getting a WRX, you could buy an STi Bumper, brembo brakes, the spoiler and still have a huge amount of money in your pocket.
Old 01-17-2005
Back from the dead

our you could look for say...cusco?

sweet....
Old 01-17-2005
Lost in the Matrix

www.toronto-subaru-club.com
Old 01-18-2005
Registered!!

1llmatic will become famous soon enough
yes the STI is expensive. But you are paying for a car that subaru rates at 300hp 300tq.

Its like choosing between a regular civic and a mugen civic with factory warranty.
Old 01-18-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Transformer_Guy

thanks for the link man.
Old 01-18-2005
<--That really is ME

you can get the new infinity G35 with 290+ Hp...
Old 01-18-2005
Lost in the Matrix

The STi is still cheaper and faster
Old 01-19-2005
<--That really is ME

but the G35's PIMP factor is sweet