Mid Atlantic Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia

Hurricane Post And Updates

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicdude will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Hurricane Post And Updates

POST ALL YOUR HURRICANE UPDATES HERE!!!!

As of now I hear that the Hurricane is going to hit Wednesday or Thursday of this week. It is supposed to have a rating of a two or a three, which is not good at all.

remember Hurricane Gloria from 1985?? I believe that had a rating of 1 for strength.
http://www.geocities.com/hurricanene...canegloria.htm
and here is facts from the really bad hurricane of 1938
http://www2.sunysuffolk.edu/mandias/38hurricane/
Old 09-15-2003
Premium Member

This was posted on www.weather.com

Preparing for Isabel
9/15/2003 5:29 A.M.
Matt Newman, Meteorologist, The Weather Channel

Hurricane Isabel is packing sustained winds over 150 mph, slightly weaker than the peak intensity of a few days ago. Regardless, Isabel remains a category four storm and a major hurricane. Where Isabel will have an impact is the big question. It is still too early to pinpoint a location of landfall, but Isabel will likely have a significant impact on the East Coast by the middle of the week. While the hurricane is expected to weaken somewhat by Wednesday/Thursday, there is a good chance it will be a major hurricane with winds over 110 mph at landfall. Residents form the Carolinas to Long Island should already be making preparations for the potential impacts from Isabel. These preparations would include knowing the location of evacuation routes and local shelters, and stocking up on batteries, food, and potable water in the event of power outages.
In the eastern Pacific, Tropical Storm Linda continues to gain strength. Maximum sustained winds are up to 60 mph and some further strengthening is likely over the next 24-36 hours. While Linda may approach hurricane status, it is expected to stay well away from any land.
Old 09-15-2003
Registered!!

ssmshortie will become famous soon enough
yea it's supposd to hit my area
Old 09-15-2003
Sometimes, I can see right through myself ...

taz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud of
I guess living in Virginia Beach, right near the North Carolina line, is definately gonna be a bad idea later this week, huh?
Old 09-15-2003
Premium Member

Yeah I would think so....I really hope it doesnt hit you....or if it does, its not that bad
Old 09-15-2003
Registered!!

ya thats one possible area taz buddy and its lookin like it wil come right up the coast i live right near the potomac and chesepeake water ways uggg hey maybe the winds or wutever will total my car lol or ill get blown away
Old 09-15-2003
Premium Member

hahaha you want your car to get totalled. I just got my car, and I actually like it. If I had the civic still i would prolly feel the same as you do...
Old 09-15-2003
Registered!!

thanx, its to expensive grr
Old 09-15-2003

taz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud of
Originally posted by civicdude
Yeah I would think so....I really hope it doesnt hit you....or if it does, its not that bad
We're all hoping it doesn't hit anywhere, but VA is notorious for getting hit with hurricanes. I remember getting hit with Gloria back in 1985. It knocked down a huge willow tree that was in the middle of my back yard and totaled my swingset. Being 5 years old and having that happen really crushes you. Hopefully it's here and gone like they're predicting because I'm leaving for Nawlins (or New Orleans for you northerns) for a few days on Sunday. imp: Hopefully when it gets up north, it's nothing more than a bit of wind and rain for you guys.
Old 09-15-2003
Registered!!

yea gloria was scary enough when bein 5 years old whens ur birthday taz? mines march 1st 1980
Old 09-15-2003
Registered!!

silverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of light
Well, take it from someone who's actaully lived through 4 hurricanes, they're not that bad. I was in Puerto Rico for Hugo, Luis, Marilyn, and Georges. In each one I went out during the storm and had a ball. During the last two I actually went out driving during the storm, just to see how things were on the street.

The worse thing about it is the prep work, moving everything away from the windows so they don't get all soaked and ruined. The other bad thing is the time spent with no water or electricity. You have to shower with little buckets, hehe. Buy some chubbs guys...you'll need them.

I guess it would suck for me since I'm on a 12th floor and would have to go up and down the stairs when there is no power. Other than that I'm not too concerned.

Edit: Remember to stock up on beer a few days before, you don't want to get stuck without the necessities.
Old 09-15-2003
Registered!!

whats ur opinion on lil short/skinny me? will i get blown away if i go to work on thursday u think??
Old 09-15-2003
Premium Member

I remember Gloria...I was 14 years old. A huge tree fell down a block from my house and went through the roof of this old womans house....It also took down all the power lines near my house....
Old 09-15-2003
Registered!!

ya it was pretty bad
Old 09-15-2003
Premium Member

http://www.drudgereport.com/
WTNT33 KNHC 151429
TCPAT3
BULLETIN
HURRICANE ISABEL ADVISORY NUMBER 38
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
11 AM AST MON SEP 15 2003

...ISABEL SLOWS AND WEAKENS SLIGHTLY...

AT 11 AM AST...1500Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE ISABEL WAS LOCATED
NEAR LATITUDE 25.2 NORTH... LONGITUDE 69.4 WEST OR ABOUT 780 MILES
SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA. THIS POSITION IS
ALSO ABOUT 505 MILES...815 KM...EAST OF NASSAU.

ISABEL IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 8 MPH
...13 KM/HR...AND A TURN TO THE NORTHWEST IS EXPECTED OVER THE NEXT
24 HOURS.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 140 MPH...220 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. ALTHOUGH FLUCTUATIONS IN INTENSITY ARE COMMON IN MAJOR
HURRICANES...LITTLE OVERALL CHANGE IN STRENGTH IS FORECAST DURING
THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 115 MILES...185 KM...
FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
TO 205 MILES...335 KM.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 945 MB...27.91 INCHES.

LARGE OCEAN SWELLS AND DANGEROUS SURF CONDITIONS ARE LIKELY OVER
PORTIONS OF THE GREATER AND LESSER ANTILLES...THE TURKS AND CAICOS
ISLANDS...AND THE ISLANDS OF THE BAHAMAS OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS.
THESE DANGEROUS SURF CONDITIONS WILL ALSO AFFECT PORTIONS OF THE
SOUTHEASTERN U.S. COAST DURING THE NEXT FEW DAYS.

REPEATING THE 11 AM AST POSITION...25.2 N... 69.4 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 8 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED
WINDS...140 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE... 945 MB.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL
HURRICANE CENTER AT 5 PM AST.

FORECASTER FRANKLIN
Old 09-15-2003
Premium Member

Here is one more site:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
Old 09-15-2003

[B]
You see where they're predicting the hurricane to come over the NC/VA border? That's right where I live! It'll come right over and through Virginia Beach. I think I'm gonna be going to a few hurricane parties. I think it's time to get the pontoons out and see if the good ole Pimpmobile will float.
Old 09-15-2003
Premium Member

I think its time to evacute where you live
Old 09-15-2003
Banned

sexcivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
i'm scared *WHEEPING*

WHERES MY MOMMY
Old 09-15-2003

I think its time to evacute where you live
Naw. Only pussies run. Only place to really go is west, and I don't think you'll be able to go far enough, quick enough. I've been hearing reports of the interstates (264, 64) being pretty slammed and a few accidents. So, noone is going anywhere anytime soon. So, who's coming down for a hurricane party? imp:
Old 09-15-2003
Registered!!

silverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of light
Yeah, let's have a 'cane party!

Scott, you won't get blown over. I weighed 95 lbs when Hugo hit PR and I was out with my brother trying to play basketball in the 90 MPH winds...hehe.

As for the projected trajectory, I don't buy it. First off, there is a big throgh over the NOVA area, that means that as soon as an area of low pressure comes close they will combine and accelerate. Secondly, when a hurricane makes land fall it tends to turn in a geometric angle, meaning it kind of bounces off the land, so expect it to hit land and turn back out towards the ocean, especially with the jet stream pushing it away from land. Once it's out of the western trade winds below the capricorn equinox, they will be at the mercy of the north winds, not the trade winds.

Just my opinion...hehe.
Old 09-15-2003

Um, looking at the projected path, it's coming in over the Outer Banks of North Carolina. There's *nothing* out there to stop it when it makes landfall. It'll continue inland for awhile. This is a *very big* storm, so it'll take a lot to stop it. All we can do is just and wait for right now.
Old 09-15-2003
Ms. Moderator

SimplySLB is a name known to allSimplySLB is a name known to allSimplySLB is a name known to allSimplySLB is a name known to allSimplySLB is a name known to allSimplySLB is a name known to allSimplySLB is a name known to allSimplySLB is a name known to allSimplySLB is a name known to all
Looks like fun for people going to Nopi this weekend too huh? I mean, I have no idea how far off the coast this is gonna hit, or how far off the people driving down will be....but either way....no fun!
Old 09-15-2003

Originally posted by SimplySLB
Looks like fun for people going to Nopi this weekend too huh? I mean, I have no idea how far off the coast this is gonna hit, or how far off the people driving down will be....but either way....no fun!
Well, if you're driving down from the north, it's not going to be too much fun. Supposedly the hurricane will be up in Canada by Saturday, but that's when NOPI starts. If you're going, you might want to get a jump on the storm now and hopefully be down around that area by Wednesday. If you can get past VA/NC, I think you'll be alright.
Old 09-15-2003
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
I'm keeping my vic in the garage all week (unless hurricane comes over my house and blows it away )
Old 09-15-2003
Registered!!

XxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really nice
I think my area's seeing some effects already. It freaking rained out of nowhere for 5 minutes, and since then it's been drizzling on and off. Oh well. Maybe after this storm, mother nature's pms will be over and hopefully give us good weather for the rest of the fall.

I remember last fall was so nice. My dad and I didn't close up the pool until late october, the weather was so good.
Old 09-15-2003
Registered!!

Actually, no. You're not feeling anything yet. As a matter of fact, tomorrow should be very nice in anticipation of the storm hitting on Th. morning. There is always a nice calm before a big storm.
Old 09-15-2003
Registered!!

XxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really nice
lol duh. it's probably not even gonna get up here til wednesday

I'm just sayin. the bad weather's already lingering around
Old 09-15-2003
Raceway Park Track Tech.

LazyDog01 will become famous soon enoughLazyDog01 will become famous soon enough
yea i dont want it to hit anywhere but kinda fun being out in the rain wind
Old 09-15-2003
Registered!!

o gee i dont like that radar thing its gona go right over woodbridge