General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Function, Looks, or Comfort? POST YOUR OPINION!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003
DIY King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Function, Looks, or Comfort? POST YOUR OPINION!

Allright, some people go for all out performance. They strip the interior, weld in a roll cage, swap the engine, and turbocharge the !@#$ out of it. What you get is a fast car that handles poorly in the corners. It's allright to drive on the streets, but it's probably loud and annoying and uses up too much gas. Drag strip only.

Some people go for all out suspension modifications. They put in all sorts of stiffening bars. They upgrade their wheels and their tires. They upgrade their sway bars. They might even weld in a full roll cage for extra stiffness. They lower their cars and install really stiff springs. What you get is a beast of a car that weighs a little more than stock, but handles like it's on rails in the corners. The stiffness is bone jarring though and you don't have the power like a drag car in the straightaways.

You can merge the two above into something that's a little heavier than stock, but that's mean in the corners and on the strip. Although there are trade-offs. With the upgraded engine you get more weight up front along with the power. You have to tweak all of the suspension components to try to get rid of the understeer that's induced by the heavier front end.

Then there's the totally ridiculous approach (IMO) of rice. Lower it until you scrape. It's not low enough until you start to scrape. LOL Add on all sorts of pretty much useless accessories. The point is to get noticed. Underbody and interior neon, new headlights and taillights, huge aluminum wings, grotesque bodykits, bulging hoods, huge chrome wheels, strobes, ridiculously expensive and powerful stereo systems. What you have is something that gets noticed and gets ripped off or vandalized.

Then you have a totally different approach that I see few people fo for. Comfort. You make the ride as comfortable as possible. Modify it to consume less gas (it's possible). Modify it to survive bumps and scrapes from bumping into things (usually has to do with using rubber strips on the bumpers). Buy headlight bulbs that actually illuminate the road better than stock. LOL Buy some dynamat (or similiar product) and sound proof the interior from road noise. Upgrade your suspension to be more comfortable than stock (it's possible with softer spring rates and softer stocks). Raise your ride height to clear bumps and dips (meatier tires help too). What you have is something that looks stock or slightly better or worse (depending on what your style is) and it's driveable, it's economic, it's bland. It sucks!

I kinda mix and match all of these things into my own idea of what a Civic should be. First off, I'm a suspension nut. I want my car to corner like it's on rails, but I don't want to sacrifice ride quality too much. That's why I favor bigger anti-roll bars than stiffer springs. I also don't want to scrape. That's why I'm not lowered. In fact, my tires raise me about 1/8" higher than stock. I like it to be quiet. That's why I did a lot of sound proofing (and more to come). I didn't modify the engine (yet); I want to be able to afford gas money.

I don't have a loud stereo system, but the quality of the sound is much better than stock. I don't have altezza's or aftermarket headlights (no need if the stock ones work IMO). I don't have lightweight 15's or 14's, but somewhat lightwweight 17's. I wanted my ride to look a little nicer than stock and I wanted a stiff sidewall for cornering. I bought a K&N filter and I modified the throttle body. Slight performance increase, but nothing to be even mentioning. LOL I still get very good gas mileage (about 35mpg with 50/50 highway and city driving).

My future plans include lightening the car (without taking away any of it's comforts or stiffness). I want a more powerful engine, but ideally to have the powerband be linear so that the engine is not jumpy for cornering. I want to get more comfortable seats for cornering and a roll cage for that extra stiffness. I want to continue modifying my suspension, but I'll focus on getting rid of the creaks and squeeks and making it a little more comfortable. I'll probably switch out my 17's to light weight 16's for increased performance and to withstand potholes and dips better.

Anyway, that's me. So what will your approach be to modifying your ride?
Old 05-29-2003
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
My approach is a merge of all but less of a "notice me" approach. I want my Civic to look good and turn heads but only from the people who know what looks good and functions well at the same time.I would rather have functionality over apperance. Ill put on a nice kit something not too drastic but enough to change the look from all the other stock looking Civics. Im a suspension fan myself and love the car to handle well, i dont want to sacrifice drivablity, i want some comfort as well so i dropped it enough to notice better handling but not low enough too scrape. I also love the power that 4 cylinders can obtain while still being street legal. The D17 is out of the picture soon and the K20A will be residing in the bay but im not stripping the comfortable hugging aftermarket seats i put in or the OEM stereo that sounds good to me or anything else that i bought the car with. My steps will be done with perfection and creativity but without sacrificing the quality, reliablity or the comfort the car has or can become.
Old 05-29-2003
Wicked Moderatuh
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

fraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of light
I am going for the comfort/looks part. This isn't a sports car so I'm not gonna kid myself and waste a **** load of money on performance mods that will do little to nothing. I use this as a daily driver, so I'm planning on getting 16's, the OEM Bodykit and customizing what came with the car. I am actually going for a modified stock look. I've just painted my taililights, kinda like Andyman and have already blacked out my headlights. Sure it doesn't do anything, but it makes my car look different. That's what I'm bascially saying. I'll modify my car just enough to seperate it from other Civics, but not to the point where people can't help but notice by double decker wing, huge bodykit, graphics, and loud *** exhaust.
Old 05-29-2003
Samoan<^>(-_-)<^>Power

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
krayziebonet4l is an unknown quantity at this point
Im basically going for a clean smooth JDM-style look. I've got a nice system, basically kenwoods all around, sony xplod amp with sony xplod 12s. tinted windows for a touch of classiness. aero sides with type-b front lip for a clean yet different look. most fixed up 7thgens in my area have huge bodykits like octane or bc or r33. i got a set of 17inch semi-lightweight (17 lbs) black arospeed chaos for that spoon look. my suspension is a set of goldlines with a neuspeed upper front strut bar. i dont have a wing and dont plan on getting one as well as a loud exhaust.
Old 05-29-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
I'm an autocross nut. And I run in a fairly limited prep class (STS). So extensive engine mods and interior striping are out of the question, Suspension however is Pretty open (as long as you dont cut metal or change the geomitry of the suspension). So right now Suspension/handling is my thing. (Hp dosnt really mean much in autocross anyway). Ride quality really has taken a back seat as of recently. The biggest issue right now is that my stock Struts/shock absorbers are pretty much blown, so Im in the market for a set of either Tein Flex or Jic Suspension systems, Possibly with Higher Spring rates then normal. So far Tires have given the Biggest single Increace in handling. On the track I run a Set of Flaken Azenis sports 205/50R15's. I am more and more impressed with these tires each time i go out with them. On the Street, Falken 512's 205/40ZR17. Decent tires, and I know how hard I can push them (I autocrossed whith them before I got the Azenis) So I can keep my self out of trouble. every thing else is stock 01 EX trim except for the small sub and Amp (Those come out when I race). Like I said, If it dosnt make me go faster or turn better it isn't going on the car.

oh ya, if any one says that our cars are slow, then they have never autocrossed.

Straights are booring, the fun is in the Curves.

Autocross: Out here we race with our steering wheels.
Old 05-29-2003
I sure wish my car was newer

white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
I just like nice cars. My style is to have the car look noticeably different than stock, but in a way most people couldn't put their finger on. It'll eventually be lowered 1.25-1.5", tint, 17" rims with decent profile tires, that type of stuff. I don't want a loud exhaust, but I might get a little something. I'm a clean freak, too. There is never a spot on/in my car, and if there is, I clean it right away.

I basically go for comfort, but not from the aspect of feeling like I'm driving a lazy-boy. I want to be comfortable and proud driving my car. I want people to think my car looks nice, but not crazy. No "That's like a TFATF car!"
Old 05-29-2003

alienmeatsack has a spectacular aura aboutalienmeatsack has a spectacular aura about
Straights are booring, the fun is in the Curves.
I've been saying that for a while, it's more fun to autoX or open track it than any drag race. period. And in autoX and open tracking, the best mod you can do is to upgrade your driving skills.
Old 05-29-2003
You boost, I-VTEC

Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
i don't like stupid looking, huge body kits so i wont have those (i might get the oem lip kit but thats about it). I cleared my headlights because i hate amber reflectors. I got my k20 because i want the car to be faster (and my motor died). I put the RSX leather in my car for comfort. Once the swap is done i plan on doin suspension work, cause i want to drive my car in AutoX and open track. I plan on goin NA with my k20 because i want it to be as reliable as it can be, while being powerful (i really could care less about gas milage).

So you tell me where i stand, cause i have no idea.
Old 05-29-2003
Registered!!

AntDeezy is on a distinguished road
My goal is to win at a car show. So as you could guess I am doing a-lot of "hey look at me" things
Old 05-29-2003
Registered!!

orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice
my idea will be comfort and jdm/euro clean look.

I have white sedan now so I get white ADR 215/15/47 wheels. Exactly as Lexus Is300 wheel size. I have comfort and safely oriented firestone road king tires.

I also get OEM kit but I have 2000 accord type-R style spoiler. I have a feeling that the 2001 civic sedan shape was actually inspired by euro 2000 accord type R. I love accord type R so I get its spoiler. I also got the actual grill of a civic Ferio, so the front has closed chrome trim instead of a chrome lip. (see my black civic ferio)

Inside, I get customised seat skin (black and red) with lumbar support. It is from wet okole and many memeber here got it and like it too! It is made of Neoprene, very comfortable.

I didn't like the Gray interior so I will paint the interior plastics glossy black (black leather feel), just like stoke "civic ferio excit 2.0" in asia.

I want people to notice my car in a way that they know it is not a teenager who drive it. In a way that other civic driver will think:"wow, I didn't know civic can actually look so classic and high class." Therefore, I have to stay OEM look while different. I also inspired a lot from the look of an Accord type R.
Old 05-29-2003
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
the civic: not necessarly on rail, but good enought to be able to take the corners at a speed faster than say.. 45... sway bar, strut bars, struts, but not out of hand (roll cage, etc..) it'll be my daily driving car, it should be good enough for those things. plus, i am already getting too much notice now with the exhaust.. i need to swap back to the stock again... i am trying to keep it not too out ragous (a lady at a gas station thought my car was some sort of special edition car)

the 2: same kind of suspension mods (and i think it will handle better in the corners), but this time, a 320 horse power 3sgte instead of a whimpy d17 powerplant for the straight away, should put some of the local "integra type-r", "civic si" and "civic sir" in their place no problem. a clean jdm kit and a crazy hood (1450 dollars!) will do just fine. my weltall and weltal2 lol
Old 05-29-2003
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
I was going for all out speed. However, I got tired and didn't like the image my car portrayed, so I sold everything but the wheels.

Now, I just feel silly with a fartcan exhaust, lowered car, and an econo car that I am trying to make it to something it's not. I have just grown out of it for the most part.

Plus, I feel it's a complete waste to dump several grand in such a cheap car. For all that money on mods you could have an rsx or you fill in the blank.

Personally, my civic will stay stock and I will drive it for what it is and put my money into more important things (to me).
Old 05-29-2003
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bellz has a spectacular aura aboutBellz has a spectacular aura about
I agree with Grey's approach and with krayziebonet4l's JDM-style comments. Since I have the DX, I'm slowly adding a few things to get it closer to the lx/ex level and a few customizing hints to make it different. I like the type-r look, with clean lines and a sporty look. No ricey, gawdy body kits, 17/18/19 inch rims, or steel 747 wings. And OMG people, quit lighting everything up with LEDs and neon. It's old already, and just doesn't look cool unless you're 14.

OEM or rs type body kits are clean and wouldn't take away from the look or value of the car. I think the civic is a little plain from the factory, since there's no coupe Si. I think the FP model was pretty slick and basically did what most people want out of the civic. Sporty looks and great handling.
Old 05-29-2003
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
dx with functionality. alarm with door locks, power windows, trunk springs and remote trunk release, remote start, etc. ..adding electrical components here and there..then a little bit of looks.
Old 05-29-2003

edicivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I want function and comfort. I got a sedan ex, i mean...

I want to maintain the height, but i want KYB 'GR2' or 'AGX' all around, so i am waiting for them to come out this summer. i want a smooth ride, one that wont beat me on the highway because i love to take road trips. So if anyone has a comment on GR2 or AGX i am interested--will they lower the car and how do they compare to each other, etc.? I used to have the Gas-Adjust kyb, and i LOVED them. Ok, so i got a neuspeed upper front strut bar installed, and i bought an upper rear strut bar from a 7thgener, and i bought a lower rear tie from a 7thgener, but both have not arrived yet. i bought from Adamosu and civicvtec1ps.

When i get the suspension updated, i will probably look for some other kind of mods to do. I will leave the engine alone. i want to clear the lights, or just replace them on the front. i wont do new wheels, but i will get better tires, maybe some slightly wider. I got a hitch on it, can you believe that? i just use it for a bike rack, the manual says if you tow you void the warranty.

Das about it.
Old 05-29-2003
Registered!!

ASuave is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Function, Looks, or Comfort? POST YOUR OPINION!

Originally posted by Grey
I kinda mix and match all of these things into my own idea of what a Civic should be. First off, I'm a suspension nut. I want my car to corner like it's on rails, but I don't want to sacrifice ride quality too much. That's why I favor bigger anti-roll bars than stiffer springs. I also don't want to scrape.
your wording covered me pretty much