General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

how long to rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003
Banned by Admin
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Master should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trusted
how long to rebuild?

My friend has a 89 toyota celica. He just called and said he bent a rod, and the shop said he will have to have the engine rebuilt. He wants to do it himself to save money, so he called me to ask him to help. How long would it take to rebuild the motor. I have helped with a rebuild for a 90 supra. I wouldn't say I know everything about old toyota engines but I know enough to do this rebuild. How long would you say it should take for us to do this givin my knowledge on the toyota engines?
Old 05-13-2003
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
a week to a month?
Old 05-13-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
It depends on if there is any damage that woud need a machine shop. With a bent rod there may be other damage that would need to be fixed/machined. For that I would give the shop alone a at least a week maybe more. if there isnt any other damage, you could probably pull it off in a weekend, if you didnt do any thing else. it really depends on what you end up needing to do to the engine. and you wont konw untill you tear down the engine. Personally I would say a week, to two weeks if there isnt any other damage. You dont really want to do an engine rebuild in a weekend, going fast just makes you forget to do things that make the engine go Boom later. Better to take it slow and make shure every thing is done right.
Old 05-13-2003
Banned by Admin

Master should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trusted
yeah I told him, to try and find a ride to his work for a while cause it will take alot longer for me to do it than the shop. Oh well I guess thats the price you gotta pay to save some money.