General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Break-in added $2,000 to insurance premium

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
klam is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Break-in added $2,000 to insurance premium

Apr. 12, 2003. 01:00 AM

Break-in added $2,000 to insurance premium
Firm claimed my Acura is `street racer'

Don't apply term to all Asians with Asian cars

I'm a 41-year-old Asian male who drives an Acura Integra Type R. I only got stopped once because my muffler was too loud, which was not true.

My problem is with insurance.

My Acura was broken into last December and was repaired by my insurance company.

Two weeks later, my policy was cancelled because my car was a "highly modified street racer," according to the company.

My driving record is perfect — no tickets, no accidents. I do not street-race.

Because of the break-in, my annual rate has gone from $1,900 to $3,900.

Please do not group all Asians with Asian autos as street racers.

Source: Toronto Star
Old 04-13-2003
Registered!!

SatansEnemy is an unknown quantity at this point
i hate how if you do anything to your import, you are automaticly a street racer. that is BS
Old 04-14-2003
Prowlin' with a Purpose

WannaBFast will become famous soon enoughWannaBFast will become famous soon enough
i smell lawsuit
Old 04-14-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

speedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the rough
mm integ type r
yeah thats total bs. id take the comapny to court. maybe get free insurance for life? haha
Old 04-14-2003
Registered!!

XxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really nice
oh don't forget, you're driving an import, and that automatically qualifies you as ricer in the eyes of many.
Old 04-14-2003
Registered!!

XxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really nice
Some day I'm gonna get myself a tough car (Cobra or Camaro, someday) and go around calling white kids in their imports ricers and see how they react hearing it from an Asian-American with a domestic. Let's see how they feel about that.

just venting. Honda = Asian, yes. Asian = Rice, no NO NONno!

Last edited by XxSoVeReiGNxX; 04-14-2003 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-14-2003
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by XxSoVeReiGNxX
Some day I'm gonna get myself a tough car (Cobra or Camaro, someday) and go around calling white kids in their imports ricers and see how they react hearing it from an Asian-American with a domestic. Let's see how they feel about that.

just venting. Honda = Asian, yes. Asian = Rice, no NO NONno!
werd
Old 04-15-2003
Registered!!

artychris is an unknown quantity at this point
a 41 year old with a Type-R?
Doesn't that sound a little weird? That's like mini-van age. Ha ha ha!
Old 04-15-2003
Better Then God

dirtEsanchez is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by artychris
a 41 year old with a Type-R?
Doesn't that sound a little weird? That's like mini-van age. Ha ha ha!
Means he's got good taste.
Old 04-15-2003
Registered!!

Kung is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Break-in added $2,000 to insurance premium

Originally posted by klam
Apr. 12, 2003. 01:00 AM

Two weeks later, my policy was cancelled because my car was a "highly modified street racer," according to the company.

Source: Toronto Star
I have to ask. Since you do have an ITR you must have some mods. I'm just wondering if you notified your insurance of any type of major mod. For instance if you turbo your car and then you get jacked, then the insurance wont cover that.

According to the the fine print on most insurance policies, you are supposed to notify them about any type of modification to your car. Yes, this means intakes, exhausts, and your common bolt-ons. If you dont notify your insurance of all these minor mods, and something happens to your car and they find out about your "light mods" they have the right to cancel your insurance. It's all in that little fine print that no one reads. So according to that fine print, if you do something like put different light bulbs in your car you have to notify them. It's just a way for insurance companies to get out of their supposed obligations to you as a customer.

So unless the insurance knew about every mod you did to your car, I can see how they could cancel your insurance after a single incident. I know it might not sound fair, but you signed the papers with the small print that no one reads, so you're supposed to be responsible for that fine print.

Don't take them to court. They will win with the fine print on the contract that you put your signiture on. Plus they have almost unlimited funds and can tie it up in court for years. You just have to take it and move on.

This is a dirty world we live in and insurance is the biggest and most crooked way of making money. And they are still called "legit", go figure!
Old 04-15-2003
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

03Eclipse should not be trusted03Eclipse should not be trusted03Eclipse should not be trusted
Re: Re: Break-in added $2,000 to insurance premium

Originally posted by Kung
I have to ask. Since you do have an ITR you must have some mods. I'm just wondering if you notified your insurance of any type of major mod. For instance if you turbo your car and then you get jacked, then the insurance wont cover that.

According to the the fine print on most insurance policies, you are supposed to notify them about any type of modification to your car. Yes, this means intakes, exhausts, and your common bolt-ons. If you dont notify your insurance of all these minor mods, and something happens to your car and they find out about your "light mods" they have the right to cancel your insurance. It's all in that little fine print that no one reads. So according to that fine print, if you do something like put different light bulbs in your car you have to notify them. It's just a way for insurance companies to get out of their supposed obligations to you as a customer.

So unless the insurance knew about every mod you did to your car, I can see how they could cancel your insurance after a single incident. I know it might not sound fair, but you signed the papers with the small print that no one reads, so you're supposed to be responsible for that fine print.

Don't take them to court. They will win with the fine print on the contract that you put your signiture on. Plus they have almost unlimited funds and can tie it up in court for years. You just have to take it and move on.

This is a dirty world we live in and insurance is the biggest and most crooked way of making money. And they are still called "legit", go figure!
I work in the Insurance industry and that has to be about the dumbest statement know to man ........ If you don't know anything about the topic, please don't post crap like this ..... Get a clue and respond .....what "fine print" are you referring to, you mean the actual words in the policy which no one reads because their to damn lazy ......