General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Should I trade up from LX to EX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roosbok is an unknown quantity at this point
Should I trade up from LX to EX?

I currently have an '01 LX Sedan. I am thinking of going to an '03 EX Sedan. I like the sedan because it is easier to carry cargo in the back seat. It seems that most EX owners seem to be more satisfied with their Civics than DX and LX owners. Does anyone know if the EX is a better made car than the LX, less rickety maybe? Then there is the Corolla, and where I am thinking sedan, that might be a way to go. The thing there is though that I really don't want to be part of the group identity of being a Corolla owner. What I really want is to go back to driving a midsize, like an Accord, because I really don't like all the bouncing around in the Civic, but with my small parking space and with gas prices being what they are I do like the Civic for its economy. Plus, I really don't want to invest a lot in a car, because it is such a pain when people hit them in parking lots and things like that, you can easily lose a lot of the value of an expensive car when they are damaged.
Old 04-05-2003
Registered!!

Corolla Dude is an unknown quantity at this point
id go with the Corolla, its a little more expensive initially, but has higher resale value, it also has the largest trunk sapce in its class, good gas millage and is a very smooth ride

but im bias, i own a corolla
Old 04-05-2003
Registered!!

2k1civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Keep the LX, The cars are the same except for the couple extra hp you get from the vtec which IMO isnt worth the extra cash. I have a LX coupe and I LOVE IT. Never had any problems out of it. Unless you want the sunroof and vtech its not worth gettin the EX they are the same cars. Plus for me I'd rather have the LX if there ever is a good turbo the lower compression will be better so i hear.

my 2 cents.
Old 04-05-2003
Registered!!

sc1golfr is an unknown quantity at this point
id go LX to RSX-S
Old 04-05-2003
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
I would keep the lx if I was you. I can't see spending a few grand to just get an ex civic.

I peronally don't like the corolla. Numb steering, numb ride, numb everything...I can't stand not feeling any connection to the road whatsoever. I remember driving my mom's camry several years ago. You talk about no driving excitement whatsoever...most boring car I have ever drivin. If resale value is better than the civic, which is VERY unlikely, it would only be by a $1.

It just depends on what you like. Objectively, both are pretty much the same. It's the subjective part that makes the decision. Just go drive the corolla and you'll understand the numbness I am talking about. You just might like it.

I just wouldn't trade up for an ex.
Old 04-05-2003
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
Originally posted by sc1golfr
id go LX to RSX-S
Old 04-05-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
I would go lx 2 s2000!!!!

Injen
Old 04-05-2003

Boosted2k2 should not be trustedBoosted2k2 should not be trusted
Originally posted by 2k1civic
Keep the LX, The cars are the same except for the couple extra hp you get from the vtec which IMO isnt worth the extra cash. I have a LX coupe and I LOVE IT. Never had any problems out of it. Unless you want the sunroof and vtech its not worth gettin the EX they are the same cars. Plus for me I'd rather have the LX if there ever is a good turbo the lower compression will be better so i hear.

my 2 cents.
agreed.
Old 04-05-2003
Registered!!

Civicly02 will become famous soon enoughCivicly02 will become famous soon enough
if your not going to put money into the car then it is better for you to just keep your lx because the only difference is the vtec and also the suroof. Since your not going to do much to your car just keep it. just my .02
Old 04-05-2003
Prowlin' with a Purpose

WannaBFast will become famous soon enoughWannaBFast will become famous soon enough
well all i can say is its ur money... but i really like the 03 gauges cause it looks cool, the actual armrest.. not the poor excuse for one in my 01... and its got better fabric but like the others said... the ex isnt worth the extra money... you can get away with the 03 lx
Old 04-05-2003
Registered!!

NitehawkVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
why not Si? haha, they're cheap. ugly, but still a better quality car. unlike the american made EX.
Old 04-05-2003
Registered!!

n00dleboy is an unknown quantity at this point
It's silly trading in a civic for a civic. Always go up.
Old 04-05-2003
Registered!!

R3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to all
agreed, my next car is NOT going to be a civic, ill promise you that. what will be my next car you ask?...rsx mabey? we'll see.
Old 04-06-2003
EEN
Registered!!

EEN is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by sc1golfr
id go LX to RSX-S
the tl-S is pretty nice.
Old 04-06-2003
anti rice

spoon will become famous soon enough
LX to seR
Old 04-06-2003
Registered!!

txtadik is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm thinking about the RSX, but isn't it a little cramped for the passengers in the back? I don't always just pick up petite asian girls like i usually do hehe...

I'm also thinking about trading up (selling my LX-G to my lil bro )...

RSX S droools... I'd even settle for an RSX Premium
Old 04-06-2003
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
For me it would depend on how much the difference would be to trade up. If its a small amount to pay, then it might be a good thing down the road when it comes to resale value. The EX has ABS, sunroof, 6 speaker CD, mathing mirrors and door handles, keyless entry, sway bars, VTEC, larger wheels, and probably few other things I'm forgetting. Again this is only thinking about resale value later..
Old 04-08-2003
Registered!!

Roosbok is an unknown quantity at this point
I wish I had gotten an EX in the first place.
Old 04-09-2003
Registered!!

dacivic is an unknown quantity at this point
How about the Madaz Protege or the better version MAZDASPEED Protege. I will pick the mazdaspeed becuase it has turbo, 17", sport suspension and more. I don't think it is worth it to trade your LX for EX because you will lose at least 5000+ dollars for a sunroof, abs and e-vtec.
Old 04-09-2003
Registered!!

7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice
Why are you going to get civic when you already have one...? Go get a LX to...whatevers, but not another civic.
Old 04-09-2003
Registered!!

Dr5D is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by flotsamm
For me it would depend on how much the difference would be to trade up. If its a small amount to pay, then it might be a good thing down the road when it comes to resale value. The EX has ABS, sunroof, 6 speaker CD, mathing mirrors and door handles, keyless entry, sway bars, VTEC, larger wheels, and probably few other things I'm forgetting. Again this is only thinking about resale value later..
the EX also has the rear cupholder and an armrest! oh and it has the orig factory honda gfx front bumper. and i think matching moldings... i know mine does, but maybe some other modles do to?

anyways - i love my EX cause it has the sunroof mainly. ever since my last car that had one i dont think i can live without one.
Old 04-09-2003
Registered!!

Dr5D is an unknown quantity at this point
oh and when i was looking for a car when i got this one i drove a corolla and it sucked big @s$. very small and cramped if you are very tall
Old 04-09-2003
Premium Member

civicdude will become famous soon enough
If you want cargo room, why dont you get a 2.5 impreza rs wagon or an awd matrix. If you are going to get another car, sell yours privately...You LX isnt worth that much to a dealer.
Old 04-09-2003
Registered!!

BenjiDXCoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
i would definetly look at the rsx, civic si. depending on financial situation maybe even the wrx or evo.
Old 04-09-2003
Registered!!

Intermezzo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Should I trade up from LX to EX?

Originally posted by Roosbok
The thing there is though that I really don't want to be part of the group identity of being a Corolla owner.
You can say that again....keep that damn corolla away from me! Hehe....not that being identified in a group consisting of Civic's all that much better. I don't really care though cuz the wifey drives an e46 (yes! purchased with MY money).

Originally posted by Roosbok
with gas prices being what they are I do like the Civic for its economy. Plus, I really don't want to invest a lot in a car, because it is such a pain when people hit them in parking lots and things like that, you can easily lose a lot of the value of an expensive car when they are damaged.
Those are good points, but for the same reasons you're avoiding the Accord, you should also avoid trading in your car so soon. Whenever you trade in a car that's only 2 years old, you're never doing yourself much of a favor financially. You can either continue driving this car and not pay any more than you normally would, or you can trade up to the current year, which except for a few amenities is pretty much the same car, and get hit for several thousand dollars. Not worth it, IMO.
Old 04-09-2003
Registered!!

MMILX is an unknown quantity at this point
Keep the LX, drive it a while, enjoy and sell it off in a few years time... the money you'd lose isn't worth the extras of an EX.

As an example, I bought a used 2001 LX coupe auto with 24k on it for 11k. The car had an MSRP of 16k, and it was truly immaculate. Taken care of by a car nut like me (oil change 3k w/mobil1, Zaino, etc). His wife drove the car. The kicker is that they bought it in 2/2002 so its only a year into its warranty. Lots of highway driving (70 miles roundtrip to work). They paid like 15500 for it and lost 4500 in one year. Thats a sizeable hit. Now imagine if you traded it in!

Its a perfect car for me at this point in my life. Its my "beater"... Drive it, park it where-ever, and enjoy the low cost of ownership.

And I agree, trade up next time... its less costly to get what you want the first time around.
Old 04-09-2003
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
They paid WAY too much for the lx. That is why they took such a big hit. I bought my 02 ex sedan for 15,900. Yes, we all know about the depreciation in the first few years.
Old 04-09-2003
Registered!!

astropunk is an unknown quantity at this point
why bother switching to EX?? get an entirely different car instead!! so many cars better than civic.. i surely know my next car ain't a civic...
but don't get me wrong, i love my car... civic coupes look nice... sedans on the other hand, no comment...
Old 04-09-2003
Registered!!

CiviKid is an unknown quantity at this point
yeaa. if ur gonna trade a civic for another civic..atleast get a coupe. thats why i plan on doing with my sedan..
Old 04-10-2003
Registered!!

MMILX is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree... actually, as far as pricing is concerned, it depends where you are located. Here in the NW, that stupid west coast mentality (can you tell I am not native?) takes place here. Cars have "additional dealer markups" so a Civic actually has a 1000 over MSRP... WTH?

Actually, the best deal I've seen on a Civic LX auto "new" back in January before I bought mine was a dealer advertising 2 at 13499. I figure I might have paid a bit much, but it was truly immaculate and the previous owner did have a Clifford Alarm and Alpine 6CD changer installed. Being that all my music is on MP3 CDs from my previous car, it was still a chore to listen to my tunes in the Civic, but atleast its still better than cassettes

BTW, I called on those Civics at 13499 and they were, of course, "sold"...

Originally posted by Mbow
They paid WAY too much for the lx. That is why they took such a big hit. I bought my 02 ex sedan for 15,900. Yes, we all know about the depreciation in the first few years.

Quick Reply: Should I trade up from LX to EX?