General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

My review of the Honda Element (pics) and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003
O RLY
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
My review of the Honda Element (pics) and discussion

I got to drive the new element today, as well as take several pics. To start, it's very spacious and has tons of room on the inside. It looks like a big shoe box. When you get in, you feel like you're in a big shoe box. When you drive, the way the car is shaped inside, you think you are driving a big shoe box. However, it does NOT drive like a big shoe box. It drives like a sport compact. In fact, I didn't feel a whole lot higher off the road than when I was in my civic. (a bit higher but not much) It corners pretty good to be honest, and does not have massive body roll like most SUV's. I never felt like it would tip or fall over, and it's steering was responsive.

Someone had asked about safety with the doors, since they are suicide doors. There is a beam in the door that locks in with the frame, to provide stability and safety. The doors are heavy as hell, and feel very solid. The car got the highest rating for side, frontal, rear, and offset crashes, as has every honda currently on the market. (including the sporty S2000)

It's not that quick, but it has enough power in 1st gear to give you a little torque steer. As with any VTEC engine, I imagine power will only increase after and beyond break in. 2nd gear somewhat falls on its face, but it's hard to tell since it's not broken in. The interior is almost a little too big for short people. The controls are easy to reach, but it's quite a stretch to try to reach the visor. It's way up there for a guy who's short like me! (i'm only 5'6") This is in part, due to the boxy interior. The windsheild comes almost straight down from the ceiling, and the interior holds true in shape to the way it looks outside.

There is so much storage you won't even know what to do with it. Cupholders galore, and plenty of little pockets for things. Even a shelf in front of the front passenger seat, great for holding those french fries and burger you just bought. The gauges look kinda cool and are pretty easy to read. The back seats fold up, and the entire floor is liquid/spill proof. It's made entirely of a rubber/vinyl kinda material. The seats, cloth or leather, are also water/spill proof. However, this is where one of the negative remarks comes from. The seats are set in such a way, it's almost like stadium seating. ie, the floor in the back and seats are slightly higher than the floor and seats in front. Since the floors are water proof, any liquid or rain or snow or soda that gets spilled, likes to pool up front under the driver and passenger's feet. It doesn't immediately happen, but after while, the liquid will work it's way up front. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG] The sound system was pretty nice and the sub is ok for being an OEM installed subwoofer.

That's really the only negative thing I have to say, other than the boxy look. I think the demographic for this car will not be 20 somethin college students on a budget, but rather active and outdoorsy types who need the storage and practicality. The Honda dealer said they have sold a few, but only one was actually to someone younger. The rest have been to more middle aged adults. It also seems they are selling fairly well on the west coast. The engine is the 2.4 liter DOHC VTEC and sits kinda funny in the engine bay. The intake manifold is on the FRONT of the engine, parallel with the bumper, and the throttle body is angled upward to a very funky looking air box. (see pics)

Here is a pic of the engine and the funky way it's in the car.

Here is the size compared to my 4 door civic. It's actually shorter, which is amazing, considering the amount of room in the Element.

Here is the floor. You can see the back is higher than the front.

Here are the rest of the pics.

Old 02-01-2003
YoUnG N SuXsExFul

guamcivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
nice pics and review! you should work for a car mag or something!
Old 02-01-2003
O RLY

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
[hr]Originally posted by: guamcivic2k1
nice pics and review! you should work for a car mag or something![hr]
I would if I could. But i'm not that good at writing. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-01-2003
Registered!!

Friedrice is an unknown quantity at this point
If the thing wasn't so damn ugly I could actually see myself driving it... kinda reminds me of my old Samurai.... a box on wheels.... but then it reminds me of the Azteck, too much plastic.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-01-2003
Registered!!

loquito is an unknown quantity at this point
i like it...looks clean but the stock steelies are[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG]
interior gets a big

and yea it does look like my sammy too...

overall it gets a
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-01-2003
Registered!!

XxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really nice
word. Awesome pics. Mini hummer anyone? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-01-2003
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
I really dont like the boxed look, but the interior gets a
Old 02-01-2003
Registered!!

illusion is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't care for the two-tone silver/blue exterior. They have an all-black one at the dealer near me that looks pretty nice actually.

Good review.

Old 02-01-2003
Jeremy's Iron

CivicRookie is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice review. It looks alright, but I prefer cars. And yeah, I was suprised too at the way the engine sits in the engine bay..

I wonder how well it'll sell. I haven't seen any on the streets yet..
Old 02-01-2003
Registered!!

hankscorpio is an unknown quantity at this point
I think an all black one like you said would look pretty good, but i haven't seen one yet. If it wasn't for all the gray plastic on the sides, i would like it better. Like the back too, the plastic goes up way too high. I'd like to see one in all black.
Old 02-01-2003
LEVA

KeNsHiN is an unknown quantity at this point
II mean it's cool on the inside but i can't stand the unpainted "body kit" look Cut the gary and paint it then i would test drive it. Just my $0.02[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-01-2003
Registered!!

InanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enoughInanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enough
I like it too, but those grey body panels have got to go.
Old 02-02-2003
Registered!!

born2xLr8 will become famous soon enough
I don't think that car is "cool" for a bachelor but it looks like a nice family car/van/suv....whatever it is
Old 02-02-2003
Registered!!

VTECTypeR is an unknown quantity at this point
whatever it is its ugly and probably the worst thing honda has made
Old 02-02-2003
Registered!!

SLAMMED01CIV is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: VTECTypeR
whatever it is its ugly and probably the worst thing honda has made[hr]
I agree 100%. That thing is absolutely disgusting. On the other hand, it is roomy.
Old 02-02-2003
Registered!!

Baghead is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: SLAMMED01CIV
I agree 100%. That thing is absolutely disgusting. On the other hand, it is roomy.[hr]
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-02-2003
Registered!!

BlackWidCiv is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: SLAMMED01CIV
I agree 100%. That thing is absolutely disgusting. On the other hand, it is roomy.[hr]
Ditto [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-nono.gif[/IMG] Interior is pretty nice imo, but they should have made more of an effort to make the exterior more pleasing to the eye...cuz right now it is...[IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG] ugly
Old 02-03-2003
Registered!!

SatansEnemy is an unknown quantity at this point
if you had the extra money just to buy it, looks like it would be an awesome vehical for road trips, 4 people comfy. and a 2.4 liter engine, i wonder if that would fit, in a civic coupe i would drive it if someone gave it to me[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-04-2003
AR
e-married to daydreamer

AR will become famous soon enough
i agree with you on the shoebox thing. but i think the car would look good with some 20"s.

excellent review.
Old 02-04-2003
Registered!!

NeoMagus is an unknown quantity at this point

It looks like in this pic it has a double din block off? Excellent hard to get piece, would be nice if they made more of those
Old 02-04-2003
O RLY

Yes, the radio is the double DIN, so that could make it easier for larger decks and LCD's and the like.
Old 02-06-2003
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
I saw one on the road today, and it was a lil boxier then I expected....but I still think they are kinda cool. I think the Toyota Scion will be a better car...both looks and performance wise (atleast the stereo system [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG])
Old 02-06-2003
Registered!!

hondah1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I finally saw the Honda Element in person today, in a dark green. Actually these things are pretty cool! It does look like a minature version of the Hummer. The interior is really cool. It's definately a unique little ride, although I don't think I would drive one myself. I don't think it falls into the Aztek category at all, those Azteks are hideous![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG] Anyway, overall, this thing looks much better in person.

Honda Element
Old 02-10-2003
Banned

Alabamaownzu is an unknown quantity at this point
Butt-@ss ugly if you ask me. I would'nt drive it unless someone paid me.
Old 02-10-2003
Registered!!

iluvbritney is an unknown quantity at this point
i like it
Old 02-10-2003
Registered!!

SaiyanMatador is an unknown quantity at this point
oh geeze[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-nono.gif[/IMG], the so called god speaks again
eric
Old 02-10-2003
O RLY

[hr]Originally posted by: SaiyanMatador
oh geeze[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-nono.gif[/IMG], the so called god speaks again
eric[hr]
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] What?? Explain what the heck ur talkin about?
Old 02-11-2003
Registered!!

illusion is an unknown quantity at this point
I test drive the black one on the weekend. I liked the plastic/rubber floor, the lack of B-pillar, and how easily the back seats moved around. The styling is either love it or hate it, and I can't decide which camp i fit in yet. It seemed a little underpowered (at least compared to the CRV which i drove right before it).

There are a few design oddities, like if you try to open the back door, when someone is in front with a seatbelt, you strangle them to death, because the seatbelt hooks onto the back door.

The view from the driver's seat was great, the side windows stretch forward, so it's almost like you're in a gunship or something. There did seem to be a lot of wind noise (again compared to the CRV) on the highway, possibly as a result of this design.

The spill-proof fabric was kinda neat, felt kinda like GoreTex, not the most comfortable though.

The stock audio system was better than average, you could tell there was a sub, but still didn't compare even to a low-end aftermarket setup.

I think this thing would be great if you were hardcore sport-type person, always arrying bikes or snowboards, or whatever. Don't think I'd care for it as a daily driver though.

Anyways, those are my rambling thoughts after driving it.

Old 02-11-2003

GOTSPRINGROLLS is an unknown quantity at this point
from my personal view....i think the element and the pilot are both ugly.....but thats from my view.....why you must say? because of the shape and the whimmpy look to it. plus, the unpainted plastic shown on the outside of the suv.....it makes it look cheap...
Old 02-13-2003
Registered!!

3rdcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I just started looking into the Element and am actually pretty impressed with the StudioE concept vehicle. Does anyone know if there is aftermarket support for this vehicle yet? It would actually suit my needs quite well as I snowboard, camp, need a vehicle to tow my quad, etc. I'd like to figure out how I could configure this vehicle to be more unique/capable. Of course, maybe it's not even worth it.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Terry

Quick Reply: My review of the Honda Element (pics) and discussion