General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

difference between VTI and EX engines?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pinoyexposed is an unknown quantity at this point
difference between VTI and EX engines?

Ive got a question guys. On my manual my engine's displacement is 1.6 L and Ex engines got 1.7 L could it be that our camshafts are different too? and I can use the Ex's camsshaft to improve my engines hp?[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
like for ex. using type r camshafts to b16 engines. What are the specs of the ex's camshaft? Ty for your help guys.
Old 12-28-2002
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
errr....so u have a b-series engine, d16, or d17 engine? that would help if u included that.

as for the b 16 camshafts....not in a d-series engine. gotta use the same series engine parts, but the d16 and d17 are the exception...totally different.
Old 12-28-2002
Registered!!

Sori man, what i mean is I have also a d17 but my displacement is 1.6 L (VTI model in the Phil.) and as I understand that your Ex model in the US has 1.7 L also a d17 engine. My question is can I use an Ex's camshaft on my 1.6 L engine to improve my HP? or do they have same specs? What are the specs of the ex's camshaft? tnks
Old 12-29-2002
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
i don't think a 1.6 liter motor would be designated as a D17. check the engine code on your block, itll say something else, and i'm interested in what it says.
Old 12-29-2002
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
er.. I think you're confused about how things work..

if you're so sure you have a 1.6L, then you dont have a D17 engine. Honda doesn't designate a 1.6 liter engine as a D17.

as dragoon said, check ur engien block and see the engine code.. if it says D17 then you have a 1.7 liter engine.

if you really do have a 1.6 liter engine, than you have a D16.. and the D17's camshaft profile probably doesn't work well with the D16, nor do I think there are any benefit in using the D17's camshaft.

Old 12-29-2002
Registered!!

Sori guys but my manual says its a 1.6 L but as u can see on my readers ride we both have identical engines hmmm. Where can I see my engine code and where is it placed on my engine block? tnks for your help guys[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-29-2002
Registered!!

Here are my cars specs according to www.hondaphil.com.ph

1.6 Vti MT

Type - Water-cooled, 4-stroke VTEC 3 16-valve
Fuel Supply System - Electronic fuel injection
Displacement - 1590
Bore & stroke - 75.0 X 90.0
Compression ratio - 9.4
Max. power - 130 / 6600
Max. torque - 14.9 / 5000

ENGINE
Honda proves that an engine can be extremely powerful and fuel efficient at the same time --
all it takes is innovative technology like Honda VTEC 3 (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control)

The Civic powerplant is available in 3 variations that deliver class-leading performance by way of precedent- setting features. Honda's powerful 1.6-liter engine generates quick acceleration via VTEC 3 ( 3 - stage VTEC ) -- the breakthrough technology that boosts power and fuel efficiency by varying the behavior of the intake valves to match the needs of the engine.
Old 12-29-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
same block..but your engine has a 4mm shorter stroke..and your car produces more power and alot more low end tirque due to your 3 stage vtec system..the EX models only have 2 stage vtec...
Old 12-29-2002
Registered!!

Ey mowhawkboom what about the cam specs of the ex models? Are they desame? Can i use them to increase hp to my engine because as far as I know u have a higher dispalcement engine. . . [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-29-2002
Escaped Convict

[hr]Originally posted by: Pinoyexposed
Sori guys but my manual says its a 1.6 L but as u can see on my readers ride we both have identical engines hmmm. Where can I see my engine code and where is it placed on my engine block? tnks for your help guys[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][hr]
actually I dont see any pictures of engine bay in ur members ride page... the engine code is on the front of the engine.. er... that didn't help huh? look around the portion near the header... left of the header... should be around that area... right below the valve cover... I think.

hmm. from the looks of it you have a better engine. lower compression with more hp(or at least, a higher hp rating) but should be better fuel economy... shorter stroke so overall a smaller displacement engine.. but the difference is like 77 cc so it really isn't that much... we probably make only a bit more torque and hp through the powerband...

just because we have a higher displacement engine doesn't mean our camshaft will yield more hp when used on ur car... in fact, its not even confirmed if we have a 3 stage vtec engine, so if you use it... then the cam profile might not work right with the 3 stage vtec you got there.

you keep focusing on the camshaft... are you getting a thought that camshaft affects displacement? because it doesn't... the size of the bore and stroke of an engine does...

anyhow it'll be cool if u can find out ur engine code.. like to know which D16 that is..
Old 12-29-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Ey mowhawkboom what about the cam specs of the ex models? Are they desame? Can i use them to increase hp to my engine because as far as I know u have a higher dispalcement engine. . . [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][hr]
They are not the same..your engine has a slightly more agressive VTEC cam profile..and the US engines have a longer stroke (94mm) which is why they have more displacement
Old 12-29-2002
Registered!!

thaicivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Pinoy,

Its thaicivic from thailand. Wow! that is one strange D17 you got there, I also have a VTI here in Thailand and I thought they were supposed to be the same engines as in the Philipines, as far as I know, a couple of honda models are exported to the Philippines from Thailand. I will check if the current civic sedan is an export from Thailand. As far as I know all D17A&B engine should all be over 1600 cc, the specs of my D17A here is 1668 cc displacement which is close to 1.7, bore and stroke 75x94.4, compression 9.9 : 1, 130 hp/6300 rpm and torque at 15.8/4800 rpm. Guess there are quite a number of variations in this D17 engine.
Old 12-29-2002
I wish I was asian

guys, honda names its engine on a system...

Block series (D,B,K,F,H, etc) Displacement(1.6L, 1.7L, 1.8L, 2.0 L, etc.) Head type(A, B, C, etc.)

Number at the end determines if its jdm or usdm i believe

so thus,
a D17A2 is a d series block with 1.7L with a A (vtec) head thats a usdm engine.
a b16a is a b series block with 1.6L that has a A (vtec) head and the engine is jdm.
(there is also a usdm b16a known as the b16a2)
a H22a is a h series block with 2.2L and a A head.

get the point?

so if u really have a 1.6L D17 then u got ur engines mixed up. it would be impossible to have a 1.6L D17 because the engine comes as a 1.7L from Honda. this is unless someone messed with ur engine, but who the hell would make a block smaller?

Edit: black99vtec would....with his destroking and all....

pS: d17a <----7th gen civic b16a <----6th gen SI/ del sol vtec H22a <----prelude
Old 12-30-2002
Registered!!

Got my engine code peeps - PSJDO under it theres a series of numbers 1091474
Old 12-30-2002
Registered!!

Capyoda heres the pic of my enginebay[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

Attachments:
[IMG]/forums/themes/orbitz/paperclip.gif[/IMG] pinaliit engine.jpg (27 Kb)
Old 12-30-2002
Registered!!

I think my engine is different from yours[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] Hmm..... strange, why did honda made a different engine here in the Philippines? I did a research on my manual and there are 8 different D17 engines it says that there is a D17A1,D17A2,D17Z1,D17Z2,D17Z3,D17Z4,D17Z5,D17A5 coming from other countries.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] I hope you could help me guys determine if I have a D16 type or a D17, Tnks a lot[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-30-2002
an0therpin0y

HCCriminal is an unknown quantity at this point
Capyoda heres the pic of my enginebay[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][hr]
hahahahahhahaha... i'm sorry pinoy .. u named u'r pic pinaliit na engine ... lol .. i miss da philippines .. i'm gonna be going back there soon .. prolly around april .. !! i'll be visiting my cousins .. !! forget the d17 .. import a k20a2 from japan mang ... be the first one in the republic ob da pilipinesss.. lol .. !!

Old 12-30-2002
Escaped Convict

hmm. interesting. looks the same, but there seems to be some differences...

here's your engine:

here's mine:

check out the yellow circle.. that thing doesn't seem to be in ur engine...

and this is where my engine code: D17A2 is located.. the 2nd yellow circle near the header.

btw, neat ram air thing you got there... is there a filter there somewhere at all? or just a open ram air?

and what kind of header are u using? stock with header wrap?
Old 12-30-2002
Registered!!

txtadik is an unknown quantity at this point
i'm pretty sure you have a D16 engine of some sort... i used to drive a Civic EK VTI and it was a 1 stage vtec D16, but yours is 3 stage

just wondering, for those in the philippines, what type of engine does the EK SiR sedan have? is it a B18? and what does the EK SiR coupe here in N. America have?

tangina i miss sisig with san miguel beer!!!! saraaaap! [IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-30-2002
an0therpin0y

HCCriminal is an unknown quantity at this point
here yah go
with matching
Old 12-30-2002
Registered!!

txtadik is an unknown quantity at this point
woohoo!

holy crap i'm drooling right now!!!! even better, sisiloooog!!!! [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] wanna tell the other forumers what's in that heavenly hash on the hotplate? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-30-2002
Registered!!

otep12 is an unknown quantity at this point
hahahah...D16 talk turned to sisig and sanmig pale! tsalap! [IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-30-2002
Registered!!

Heylerds is an unknown quantity at this point
Yep, you can heat up your Sisig in your D16/D17 engine bay! And cool your San Mig with the A/C!

Peace!

*hik* *hik* *hik*
Old 12-30-2002
Escaped Convict

eh that loooks pretty good...

I havne't eat that in awhile too... and probably not too authentic ones... only tried it when I was at taiwan...

on another note, I accidentaly deleted the attached files.

too lazy to upload it so u guys can use ur imagination.
Old 12-30-2002
I wish I was asian

I think my engine is different from yours[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] Hmm..... strange, why did honda made a different engine here in the Philippines? I did a research on my manual and there are 8 different D17 engines it says that there is a D17A1,D17A2,D17Z1,D17Z2,D17Z3,D17Z4,D17Z5,D17A5 coming from other countries.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] I hope you could help me guys determine if I have a D16 type or a D17, Tnks a lot[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG][hr]
regardless....if it was a 1.6L i dont think its code would be D17. different liter size wouldnt be the changes in the D17 series. looks like Honda jus put a different head type on the other engine and that number on the end would designate the country[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

if it truly is a 1.6L then i would have to say u got urself a D16. no D17.
think about my previous post about engine code designations...
(block type) (liter size) (head type) (country designation)
D 17 A/Z 1,2,3,4,5
Old 12-30-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
well, it looks like a D17, it could simply be a d17block with some modifications honda did at the factory, but it's still the same block. it could be possible that honda used a 1.7 litre engine, but put those things in it and bore it down to a 1.6, but it's still a engine that was design to handle 1.7 litre....
Old 12-30-2002
Registered!!

Haha dami pala Pinoys dito sa forum [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG] Guys punta na kayo dito sa Pinas para maginuman na tayo!!! Bring ur parts here in the Phil. like your headlights,grills and other parts so we could trade stuffs[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Tapos, Ill bring you guys sa places na may street racing sa Pinas in Libis, Cavite, Laguna and Marcos Highway or if you want to see legal races I could bring you to Manila Harbor Center Go to www.dragracingpinoy.com to see the pics of the cars And regarding my engine, I think its a D16 of sometype.
Old 12-30-2002
Registered!!

To Capyoda, I have a customize Ram air and it sucks a lot of cold air outside, giving me more throttle response and an extra hp Almost all racers here in the Phil. make use of Ram airs because it gives you an advantage compared to standard air filters and intakes beacuse it sucks more cold air. As u can see i made use of a black rubberthing as an extension on my existing filter tube and i have already put a metal screen inside it to prevent bugs and other stuff from going inside my engine Regarding my headers, thats a customize 4-2-1 header wrapped in thermowrap by thermothec
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-30-2002
I wish I was asian

[hr]Originally posted by: Voiceofid
well, it looks like a D17, it could simply be a d17block with some modifications honda did at the factory, but it's still the same block. it could be possible that honda used a 1.7 litre engine, but put those things in it and bore it down to a 1.6, but it's still a engine that was design to handle 1.7 litre....[hr]
thats true......
Old 12-31-2002
Registered!!

Pinoy3LeR is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah to all pinoy here,i agree with pinoyexposed
if some of u guys are planning to visit the philippines again maybe we could swap headlights,cause as u can see our headlights are clear because it came stock,and we wanted those jDM ones

FILIPINOSTYLe

Quick Reply: difference between VTI and EX engines?