General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

long shot....

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
neospite is an unknown quantity at this point
long shot....

can the dealer make a key based on the vin number?? maybe they have a database of all the key shapes? because i mis placed my key lol

Old 12-25-2002
Honda > Nissan

xian is on a distinguished road
Actually, the dealer will not go by the vin number, but rather the key id that is on file when you purchased it.
Get ready for fort over big $$$ though. ~$60-$80 from what I hear...

Edit: If you need a spare (in your wallet) just to get into the car incase your are locked out, just go to Canadian Tire and get them to make a new one off of a blank. It will work to get the trunk and car doors opened.
Old 12-25-2002
00 Hatchback Owner

Gryphin is an unknown quantity at this point
i think he lost his keys so he needs new ones[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-25-2002
Registered!!

lump is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Gryphin
i think he lost his keys so he needs new ones[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][hr]
yep thats what i thought he said too! i couldn t lock my keys in my car if i wanted to some sort of safety thing can only lock the drivers side from outside. oh and yes it is like 70 bucks to have the dealer cut you a knew key.
Old 12-25-2002
Registered!!

would my record be on the national computer system or only on the dealer system i bought the car at??
Old 12-25-2002
Honda > Nissan

[hr]Originally posted by: lump
i think he lost his keys so he needs new ones[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][hr]
yep thats what i thought he said too! i couldn t lock my keys in my car if i wanted to some sort of safety thing can only lock the drivers side from outside. oh and yes it is like 70 bucks to have the dealer cut you a knew key.[hr]
Yes, I do realize he lost his keys, read my original post. The "edit" was a suggestion.

I think the "safety thing" you're thinking of only occurs if the keys are still in the ignition. What happens if you left it on the car seat? Getting a spare is a good thing to do. You may or may not agree with me, but thats okay. Just make sure when you do leave you keys in your locked car you don't create a new thread "HELP ASAP: I LOCKED MY KEYS IN THE CAR".

Regardless if you go to another Honda/Acura dealership I don't see a problem occuring. Worse case scenario is the service advisor calls the dealership that sold you the car to get the id.

As for money wise I've been in there and sometimes they give a copy of the key for free. Then again, they were all older ladies in their forties...
Old 12-25-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: xian
[hr]Originally posted by: lump
yep thats what i thought he said too! i couldn t lock my keys in my car if i wanted to some sort of safety thing can only lock the drivers side from outside. oh and yes it is like 70 bucks to have the dealer cut you a knew key.[hr]
Yes, I do realize he lost his keys, read my original post. The "edit" was a suggestion.

I think the "safety thing" you're thinking of only occurs if the keys are still in the ignition. What happens if you left it on the car seat? Getting a spare is a good thing to do. You may or may not agree with me, but thats okay. Just make sure when you do leave you keys in your locked car you don't create a new thread "HELP ASAP: I LOCKED MY KEYS IN THE CAR".

Regardless if you go to another Honda/Acura dealership I don't see a problem occuring. Worse case scenario is the service advisor calls the dealership that sold you the car to get the id.

As for money wise I've been in there and sometimes they give a copy of the key for free. Then again, they were all older ladies in their forties...[hr]

i have a spare.... seem to misplace that too....
Old 12-25-2002
Honda > Nissan

ouch...even the valet key??? Man, hope your having a better Christmas!
Old 12-26-2002
AR
e-married to daydreamer

AR will become famous soon enough
i couldnt fit my vallet key into my wallet even if i tried. i dont have one of thsoe flat ones.