General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Brand New RSX or Used Type S?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002
Phi Gamma Delta - Univ. of Toledo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2k1CivEX will become famous soon enough
Brand New RSX or Used Type S?

Well...its a long story but my mom is keeping the civic. so I'm going to get a new car in the near future.
I"m pretty set on the RSX, but should I buy a New base model, and know whats been done to it, or get the used Type S and practically know that whoever owned it most likley beat on it...? But obviosley the Type S is a better Car....

So which would you do? whats the smart choise here?

Or get something else in that price range? if so, What?

Eric
Old 12-22-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Base RSX...then add turbo
Old 12-22-2002
Registered!!

Nuts is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: mohawkboom
Base RSX...then add turbo [hr]
agreed, base model = lower compression = TURBO. with the moeny difference between the 2 add a turbo!

Old 12-22-2002
LEVA

KeNsHiN is an unknown quantity at this point
I would go with the brand new car, cause like you said "Type S and practically know that whoever owned it most likley beat on it" thats the same way that i feel anyways
Old 12-22-2002
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
How many miles does the S have on it? I would still love to have that power over the base model. Is the S still under warrantee?
Old 12-22-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd buy the s model myself. You would probably have a hard time finding one owned by a granny. However, it is an acura and you shouldn't have any worries unless someone has run nitrous through the thing or something. Plus, if you are going to get it, get the bad boy. Kinda like why buy a v6 mustang. If you get a stang you get the gt. Same thing with the rsx. That's MY point of view anyway.

You could go base + turbo route but will you really ever dump $5k into a turbo for the car? Most people say they will but most actually never do it.
Old 12-22-2002
ak
Retired Mod

ak can only hope to improve
In my case, since i'm poor i'd go with the S.

I beat the hell out of my civic and it still runs good. Acuras is even more realible(according to nobody), so i wouldn't be afraid.
Old 12-22-2002
Phi Gamma Delta - Univ. of Toledo

2k1CivEX will become famous soon enough
You all make really good points.....I mean there are good points to both.....

I doubt I'll find a granny selling a Type S...and not to mention some jackass could have misshifted numerous times and stuff...

Still undecided....I'm leaning towards base model though
Old 12-22-2002
Registered!!

Flash31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just a quick question, I know the RSX has a sport shifter. It's a 5 speed automatic, but if you put it into the left gate, it works like a manuel. It up shifts when you nudge it forward and downshifts when you nudge it downward. I was wondering if those types of transmissions are more likely to break down? Because I am considering getting my son one, I know it's a pain to drive stick all the time, so it might be better for him to have both "stick" and a automatic feature.

Any opinions?
Old 12-22-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
If you buy the s from an acura dealer, it won't have any worries. Get an acura certified one. Also, it should still be under warranty to begine with. I doubt you'll find one that has so many miles that the warranty has expired.

Acura comes with a 50k or 60k mile warranty. I can't remember exactly. You should be fine.
Old 12-22-2002
Registered!!

OmegaBlue2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
You should just gor for an end of model year base rsx, youll get a better deal even still, and you know that its a new car (technically) then youll even have a BIGGER price gap from teh base year old model and teh used type s, you could go ALL OUT with a turbo system on that. even make up for all the internal work to make sure your engine stays safe.
Old 12-22-2002
Registered!!

OmegaBlue2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Flash31
Just a quick question, I know the RSX has a sport shifter. It's a 5 speed automatic, but if you put it into the left gate, it works like a manuel. It up shifts when you nudge it forward and downshifts when you nudge it downward. I was wondering if those types of transmissions are more likely to break down? Because I am considering getting my son one, I know it's a pain to drive stick all the time, so it might be better for him to have both "stick" and a automatic feature.

Any opinions?[hr]
I got that type of tranny on my 350z, personally i LOVE it already after a week, hardest part of it for people who think of it as a manual tranny, that when you shift, you would have a tendency to let off the gas pedal. This actually works against the mechanics of this type of shifter. You need to keep your foot ON the pedal as you use the manual mode shifter, but yes, it does replicate the feel of a manual without a clutch. I dont know about the RSX, but mine shifts very fast and clean, and has safety features to prevent shifting into unsafe gears at certain speeds.

In a car like the RSX i would assume that the REAL manual would be faster, for straight line runs, but its probably debatable which would be better for track or road use. IF its a daily driver, why torture yourself in rush hour traffic with a manual tranny that your not able to use to its full potential? Go with the auto with manual mode and you have the freedom to use both but sacrifice the use of a clutch pedal.

Also, probably everyone would aggree, if you plan on adding nitrous, turbo, supercharger(is there one for the k20?) that you would be safer with an automatic due to a computer controlling your shift points and preventing you from doing permanent damage to your engine in possible cases of mis-shifting, or over-revving your engine. Yes, i know that there are safety features for all these things, but we should look at things as a whole. get the bigger picture.
Old 12-22-2002
Registered!!

Riva is an unknown quantity at this point
RSX, fo' sho' . . . . [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-22-2002
Registered!!

BlackSI is an unknown quantity at this point
shop around and get a good deal on a new type s
Old 12-22-2002
ak
Retired Mod

ak can only hope to improve
carsdirect.com is your friend
Old 12-22-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way
HondaGuru is an unknown quantity at this point
You would have to be retarded to buy a base RSX just to turbo it when you can get a quality used 2000 GSR (which owns the 5 Spd RSX in every way immaginable) for even less. WTF is wrong with you?
Old 12-22-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way
HondaGuru is an unknown quantity at this point
BTW, used WRX > used type S
Old 12-22-2002
Registered!!

NeoMagus is an unknown quantity at this point
Between the two id say get the Type S. If there was any "beating on" that took place on the car im sure that you will probably replicate the same kind of beating on it during your ownership, and with it being fairly new you will have warrenty, and the first owner will have taken the huge hit in depreciation.

As for the base SS, which I own, I am at 7200 miles and have had no problems with it. People on CRSX which I have talked to also have had no problems with their trannys, i believe only the early model Preludes had the problem with their SS transmissions.
Old 12-22-2002
Registered!!

newshus is an unknown quantity at this point
The base RSX does NOT have a fuel return line where as the type S does. I read in Honda Tuning a few months back about the K20 engine and a lot of companies are having problems blowing up the engine with nitrous and turbo applications. The engine can't supply enough fuel to support boost over 8 psi. The K20A2 does have a fuel return line and companies have reported no problems with added horsepower. Go with the type S. You won't regret it. I don't have the magazine in front of me but to the best of my knowledge that is what the article was talking about.