General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

dealer offered $15K trade on civic....

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002
that little dude
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slick will become famous soon enoughslick will become famous soon enough
dealer offered $15K trade on civic....

ok, i went to the dealer again to have the drivers door lock latch replaced. anyways, i started talking with the sales person i bought the civic from. he asked if i wanted to check out the new 2k3 accord coupe, so i did, test drove a 4 cyl auto and the v6 auto. afterwards, just for fun, i asked him if they can determine the trade in price for my civic. its a 2k2 ex coupe auto with 6600 miles. he came back and told me that they can offer me $15K for it. i almost crapped in my pants, i thought it would be more like $12K or something.
i came home and told my dad, he was impressed to, and like me, he is pissed off about the problems with the civic. my dad is thinking about trading up to a 2k3 lx coupe 4 cyl. yea, i know, its the base accord, less than $20K MSRP, but hell, it was nicer than the civic. IF the dealership is really going to offer $15K, we are going to end up paying roughly $4K for the accord, and then tax, so i would guess over $5K, and insurance will probably go up some to. what do you guys think, good deal? i dont think i'm getting it, but i can always hope, my dad is trying to justify the extra $5K for the accord right now.
how many of you guys would do it, just wondering.

btw, the v6 is sweet, smooth engine and ride, powerful. the 4 cyl is not bad either, feels like there is more pickup than the civic, its a great car.
Old 12-10-2002
Registered!!

Nuts is an unknown quantity at this point
HOLY ****, i didn't even buy my civic for 15K. i bought mine for about 12300!!! so i could drive it a little then tade it in and actually make money off the car?????? whats the dealership name and where?
Old 12-10-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
If you like it, get it. What else is there to say?
Old 12-10-2002

player will become famous soon enoughplayer will become famous soon enough
the new generation accords are really nice, i would go for it, but also u forgot to mention the fact that u wukk have to pay more for gas, but it is worth it, hope your dad agrees

but i still love civics[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-10-2002
Registered!!

trevor is an unknown quantity at this point
well 15,000 sounds great....how much did you pay for it???......6,600 mi. isn't very many mi.
but yea, for the accord.......I'd do it. I can't stand auto's though....but you already have one......
I say go for it.....I love the new body style for the accord coupes......classy......[IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-10-2002
that little dude

lol...i paid $15K for the car BEFORE the trade in, traded in 1992 mazda 929, pretty bad condition, so we got $1000 for it, so at the end we paid $14K for the car. i just thought about it, and it seems that we are going to make a profit on the car, thats funny.
i like that new accord, but its still $5K that we will end up paying after the trade. i'm praying that something else goes wrong with the civic, that would put it over the top, and my dad will most likely trade it in.
anyone else drive the 2k3 accord?
Old 12-10-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
i am wanting to sell my civic for an Si. i wish i could get 15,000 for my car.

INJEN
Old 12-10-2002
Registered!!

PESTLNC is an unknown quantity at this point
Keep in mind, the 03 Accord may very well have just as many problems as our Civics. Especially since it's the first of a new generation.
Old 12-10-2002
Registered!!

LOWBOY is an unknown quantity at this point
They are highballing you for your Civic to try and get you to buy the Accord. They arent going to wheel and deal w/ you on the Accord if they give you that much for it you should know. Although I think it's a good deal, don't expect too much from them in the end. After all, these are car sales people we are talking about here.
Old 12-10-2002
that little dude

[hr]Originally posted by: LOWBOY
They are highballing you for your Civic to try and get you to buy the Accord. They arent going to wheel and deal w/ you on the Accord if they give you that much for it you should know. Although I think it's a good deal, don't expect too much from them in the end. After all, these are car sales people we are talking about here.[hr]
yea, i was thinking that to since the guy knew that i wasn't going to buy the car right then and there.
but this is exactly what he told me, $20,500 for base accord - $1500 discount - $15,000 for civic trade in = $4000. if we do go to the dealer to pursue this further, and the difference in price goes higher than $4000 ( lets say to $5000 ) we are out the door, we are only going to do this if what the guy told me holds true. for comparison, i'm going to a other dealers ( nissan, toyota, mazda ) to see what they would give me for a trade in.
btw, what are qoutes some of you guys got for trade ins on your civics?
Old 12-10-2002
Registered!!

LOWBOY is an unknown quantity at this point
When I traded in my 2k1 EX manual w/ 11,000 miles, Toyota gave me $13,200 on the GT-S I bought.
But, they were going to give me $14,900 if I were going to buy a MR2 Spyder. It all comes back to what kind of car your going to buy from them and how much the new car costs to them.
Old 12-10-2002
Registered!!

SoFlaCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I bet that after the calculation that you showed, the dealer will add the DESTINATION CHARGE, which is a valid charge, but is already included in the price of the car...so no need to add it again (they will). This will be around $450.

Also, there will probably be a 'dealer prep' or 'paperwork' charge that amounts to somewhere near $500.

Try it....that's about another $1k more. They will nickel & dime you to death. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

Yes, dealers do have to make a profit, but they sure rip some people off. That's not right. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-10-2002
Registered!!

slowasscivic is an unknown quantity at this point
i dont know...i think the new accord is fugly but i might be convinced otherwise with the oem kit and big rims
Old 12-10-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
ROFLMAO! [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

Yea, they'll give you $15k for the civic because you're going to pay sticker on the accord. LOLOLOLOL

They'll sell you the accord $12k but only give you 3K for the civic..>LOLOLOL

WTF!!!!

Old 12-10-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: PESTLNC
Keep in mind, the 03 Accord may very well have just as many problems as our Civics. Especially since it's the first of a new generation.[hr]
Possible...but chances are slim to none......
Old 12-10-2002
Registered!!

mattskav is an unknown quantity at this point
I went to buy an accord sedan ex-l navi 5-speed today, the f'ers offered me 9k for my 2002 EX....
Old 12-10-2002
Registered!!

BlackSI is an unknown quantity at this point
salesmen will say anything to bait you to deal. be careful cuz that 15k might change to 11k once its all said and done on paper[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-10-2002
Registered!!

$9k is very discouraging. I have been seriously considering trading my sedan for a si. The prices are so low right now. I know the si is selling for 15900 in my area at the moment. If I could just find the 14995. I was thinking that they would give me 13k for my sedan but it doesn't sound good.
Old 12-10-2002
Registered!!

Roosbok is an unknown quantity at this point
Financially it sounds like a good deal. $15k seems like a good price for the EX Civic, even if it were a private party sale. As for the Accord, since it is brand new I think most of the ones being sold right now are being sold close to sticker, because there just aren't that many produced yet, and you said you are getting a $1,500 discount. If you pay sales tax, that shouldn't be too bad because it should only be on the net amount of $4,000. The only thing I would be wary of , and I think that someone mentioned here, is that you would be not only buying the first year of a redesign, but also from among the first batches of cars produced from the redesign. Isn't the 2k1 Civic considered the most problematic of the 7th Gens? And weren't the one or two recalls of the 2k1 from the earliest lots of Civics produced? However, to have had the use of your Civic for 6,600 miles plus the step up to the Accord, for $4k, it might be worth the chance. The dealer you are negotiating with may be trying to reach a December sales goal to close the month and year out on a good note, or something like that.
Old 12-10-2002
Registered!!

SoFlaCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
It's definitely more hassle, but you will get more $$ selling your car on your own.
Old 12-10-2002
that little dude

well, i dont think its going to happen. my dad spoke to a friend who just bought a 2k3 accord sedan from her daughter, she has a perfect driving record, is 20 years old just like me, and they use the same insurance company as us ( state farm ) and insurance for her is around $1800 a year.
my dad is going to call the insurance company tomorrow to see what the rates on the new 2k3 accords are, right now its less than $1000 a year for full coverage on my civic. more than likely, with the difference in price we will have to pay, the tax, and then the insurance, my dad probably wont want to bother. i'm a little upset, but at the same time, i'm not. the civic is a good car, and thanks to the great dealership, whenever i have a problem, they fix it, no questions asked. i guess i just got a little happy at the $15K offered for my civic.
i guess a pair of sparco seats, 17" gunmetals, and some fatmat installation, and i'll forget that the accord coupe exists, lol.

seriously, dont drive the new accord, cause you might want it afterwards.
Old 12-11-2002
Registered!!

mattskav is an unknown quantity at this point
I called to check on the ex-l navi that i was talking about, my insurance would go from $840/year to $866/year...
Old 12-11-2002
Registered!!

n00dleboy is an unknown quantity at this point
If he said roughly $15k, i seriously doubt you'll get that amount. The dealer needs to take your car for a spin, get the inspectors to check out every bit of your car first before they can give you an accurate amount. Otherwise if they didn't do this, then the salesman just pulled that figure out of his ***.
Old 12-11-2002
Have you seen Mike Hunt?

2002excpe will become famous soon enough
I have to trade in my 2k2, but for a cheaper car. I hope I get 15k, that would be sweet. Will they
wheel and deal with me on a used car at the dealership?
Old 12-11-2002
Registered!!

NeoMagus is an unknown quantity at this point
I got $14k for my 2001 Auto Civic when I went up to my RSX
Old 12-11-2002
Premium Member

civicdude will become famous soon enough
[hr]Originally posted by: 2002EXCpe
I have to trade in my 2k2, but for a cheaper car. I hope I get 15k, that would be sweet. Will they
wheel and deal with me on a used car at the dealership?[hr]
Dont buy a used car from a dealership. They will rip you off first of all. You will pay more money when buying used from a dealer then you would when buying used from a private seller. Most used cars at the dealer are either off leases or auction cars, or off lease cars that the dealer purchased from the auction....Sometime the dealer buys cars that were hit, fixes them and sells them....I would be wary from buying used at a dealer. I know this information because I worked for 3 and a half years at a ford dealer and one and a half years at a Porsche, VW, audi dealer.

Old 12-11-2002
Registered!!

PESTLNC is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Mbow
Keep in mind, the 03 Accord may very well have just as many problems as our Civics. Especially since it's the first of a new generation.[hr]
Possible...but chances are slim to none......[hr]
I bet that's what the 2001 Civic owners thought too.
Old 12-11-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Mbow
Possible...but chances are slim to none......[hr]
I bet that's what the 2001 Civic owners thought too.[hr]
Yea, and everyone keeps thinking that Ford is going to improve their reliability as well. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]