General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

4 cars and not a clue as to which one to get *I did my test drives today*

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know why everyone says the rsx's interior is so cheap. I love that interior and love the whole car.

It depends on what you want.

Reliability = Acura, hands down
Quality = Acura, hands down
Resale = Acura
Performance = depends on what you like

The rsx is plenty fast enough and doesn't need to be modded and will be very satisfying in stock form. Ever driven a honda engine that revs that high? It's totally different than the other cars.

VW is very nice with a very nice interior. Although, plagued with reliability issues no matter which way you slice the pie. Plus, if you mod it, reliability is going to go down more...Plus, does kinda have a pillow-biter look to it..IMO

BMW, sweet status car. Reliability is questionable, expensive to maintain and insure, definately not practical but if you are single it could very well be practical

Civic Si, interior is nice but I just don't like hatches....not much more performance than ex model = not worth it
Old 11-14-2002
TUCKIN 19s

2k2EXCOUPE will become famous soon enough
[hr]Originally posted by: Mbow
I don't know why everyone says the rsx's interior is so cheap. I love that interior and love the whole car.

Resale = Acura

BMW, sweet status car. Reliability is questionable, expensive to maintain and insure, definately not practical but if you are single it could very well be practical
[hr]
Bmw has one of the highest reliability rates...we have a 1995 BMW 325i and 2001 Z3 3.0 and they both have had zero problems (a faulty brake sensor in the computer one time, thats it though, fixed for $10 on the 325i). Resale value is exceptional too. They are incredibly expensive to maintain and insure though. But the car is definately worth it.
Old 11-14-2002
Registered!!

Dagooseisloose is an unknown quantity at this point
Id go with the Z3 and a warrenty.
Old 11-14-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: 2k2EXCOUPE
[hr]Originally posted by: Mbow

Resale = Acura

[hr]
Bmw has one of the highest reliability rates...we have a 1995 BMW 325i and 2001 Z3 3.0 and they both have had zero problems (a faulty brake sensor in the computer one time, thats it though, fixed for $10 on the 325i). Resale value is exceptional too. They are incredibly expensive to maintain and insure though. But the car is definately worth it.[hr]
BMW is no where near honda nor toyota in reliability.

Old 11-14-2002
Registered!!

neeedforspeeeeed is an unknown quantity at this point
BMW. btw, what color is it? if u want more info on it or such ask the people at www.dtmpower.net
Old 11-14-2002
Registered!!

delacampos is an unknown quantity at this point
GTi 1.8T. love mine. wouldn't trade it for the rsx anyday. no reliability issues at all. runs like a champ. 14.8 with Carbonio intake and Forge DV.
Old 11-14-2002
I sure wish my car was newer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
Whats this stuff about the reliability problems on VWs? I've heard no more bad things about VW than about Honda. The only bad connotation is when people hear VW and automatically think of a burnt-out hippie in a Euro-van or a loser in an old Beetle. Oh, and fewer people will scream "Rice!" at you, instead they'll scream "Sauerkraut!"
Old 11-14-2002
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
i've heard of tons of bad things about VW's, and have seen them firsthand. i know one beetle owner that's been to the dealer 4 times in the first year she owned her car, another beetle turbo owner in my neighborhood whose engine died on him within the first month(!), and another friend who has a '99 jetta with almost 200k miles, and it's still running strong, but with a few irritating, though minor problems in the electrical system. so in conclusion, every brand has its imperfect cars coming out of the factory, but it just seems like more VW's come out with problems than hondas.
Old 11-14-2002
Registered!!

WesDLuke is an unknown quantity at this point

Very interesting experience.

The Z3 Coupe was no where to be found. I had planned on it being the bases for the other test drives, but no one had one.

I drove the RSX first, as it was the first Dealer I came to. Just the first 'sit' in the car was the best; the overall how I fit in with the interior. First thing off the bat was how short the clutch is. It only goes 2 or 3 inches in. Once on the road first things first - i-VTEC. Kinda’ hard with the speed limit, but the salesman said punch it. It was actually difficult to get it to ~6K. Granted I am used to driving a civic with only 5 gears, but going so fast in second and third didn’t seem right. Once there, i-VTEC was a blast - a lot more exciting than the ride I got in a 90's porch 911. Despite i-VTEC being so far zero, it was fun just to drive up to 4K or 5K. I still have issues with the looks, but it is growing on me.

The Honda dealership was right next door. After sitting in the RSX, the Si was very different. You noticeably sit higher up in the car. It was a bit difficult to get the seat in a comfortable position. For the shifter to be in the right place I seemed to be too close to the steering wheel and my legs were scrunched up, or the steering wheel and legs were fine, but the shifter was too far away. Then you throw the seat back position into the mix and it really gets complicated. I spent a bit of time readjusting. Anyway, the drive was similar to the RSX, but just not the same. It was fun, but it just didn’t have that little extra that the RSX has. It seems like a cooler car to me, but I think the RSX wins over the Si. (If I could only get my hands on a Si Type-R...)

VW only had one GTI 1.8T and it was an automatic - bummer. It was at a different lot a block or two away. It still had that white shrink wrap stuff on it, and it had little crappy windshield wipers on it, and the seats still has the plastic on them; the only time it was driven, was off the truck – kind of interesting how they package cars. It did have step tronic, so I drove it anyway. Wow - it was like night and day; it and the RSX are very different. The “Torque vs. Horsepower” debate came to mind. I honestly don’t know much about that debate, but I now have experienced it. The only way I can put it is that the VW ‘pulled’ and the RSX ‘pushed’? Don’t quote me on that. I really wasn’t expecting to enjoy it. I love looks, but wasn’t too jazzed about the interior. It was nice and all, but it felt like I was sitting in a box. Everything was cut flat and horizontal and vertical; hardly any angles. The guy is going to call me when he gets a manual in, so it’s not over yet. (I can only image what it will be like when I chip it)

In Summary:
RSX in the lead.
GTI at a very close second.

Wish I could test drive a Type-R.
Wish I could find a Z3 Coupe.

Old 11-15-2002
Registered!!

TorqueMonster is an unknown quantity at this point
Personally, I can't stand the looks of the new SI.

In all honesty, if you are only choosing from those three, I'd go with a Z3. It's not much of a performer, but technically none of the vehicles you've listed are. However, you get the prestige and build quality of BMW (whoever said BMW made crap is obviously high...I know a great deal of satisfied people with 3-5-7 and M series cars, including a close friend with a M3). **** happens to all cars from all companies, but BMW definitley makes quality.

Plus I must say it looks very nice. The Z4 looks nicer IMO, but Z3 is a cool roadster.
Old 11-15-2002
Registered!!

n00dleboy is an unknown quantity at this point
If you're into a status thing, when someone sees you driving a Z3, they'll be more impressed than if you drove up in a Golf or a Acura, i mean.. It's like comparing Walmart to Holt Renfrew. I mean, Ya, you find good sh|t at both, but price range is different, and Walmart has better refund policies. You get my drift?

I hate VW's for the fact that you pay so much for them they can't even make the little things right. For example, i was checking out the new cabrio's awhile ago for my gf, and for 30 f**king Thousand Canadian dollars, you gotta turn these little f**king round ***** on the side of the chair to make it go down. What a f**king pain in the ***. Honda/Acura/Mazda and other econo sub 20k cars all you gotta do is Lift up a little plastic lever and woosh your seat goes down, up and down up and down up and down to your liking.

VW's dash setup is ugly. Just one big flat piece. No design.

Fast cars?yes. Good reliability? questionable... but f**king overpriced.
Old 11-15-2002
Registered!!

civicpride is an unknown quantity at this point
here, little car lots sell them for 22,000
Old 11-15-2002
Registered!!

Sounds like you are doing your homework. A+

I'd still to get the rsx. You can't loose. Top-notch reliability (only thing on par is toyota), quality, resell, and will undoubtedly be the best in the long-run.

VW is a nice car but no where near the acura in reliability. Don't get me wrong. I almost bought a golf gti and like the car a lot. If VW can bring its reliability up, I just might cross the street one day...Well, I'd probably walk over to acura but you get my point.