General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

The best bang for the buck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2002
DIY King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
The best bang for the buck?

Just wondering if you bought a civic because you wanted the best bang for the buck. I did. Maybe not bang as in power, but bang as in reliability/looks/gas mileage. Now I'm kinda modifying it with this mindset as well. I don't want to pay too much for my modifications, so I buy stuff that gives the best price to performance ratio. I guess I just don't like to see people with civics putting on 3-piece forged rims, $5,000 stereo systems, and who knows what else. It's only achievable by those with lots of money, and civic owners aren't exactly wealthy people (at least I'm not). Get what I'm saying? If you spend $10K on your 7th gen and you haven't really acheived anything, then you're a moron.

For example, an automatic sedan. Add 3-piece 18" forged rims and Pirellli's. $2,500 Add a 3,000 stereo system that weighs 300 pounds. Add a dual exhaust, an intake, and some headers. $1,500 Then you slap on some LCD's. $2,000 And hook that up to a PS2. $500 Then you do limo tint, maybe some neon's, some HID's. $1000 Then you could use a leather interior and some wood grain accents (maybe pedals and shift **** thrown in there too). $1,000 Can't forget the bodykit. $1,000 For a grand total of $9,500. The items listed aren't exactly ricey either, just expensive.

See what I mean though? All that money for what? Show? I don't think you'll win back your $10K that way. For sponsors? Would they be willing to sponsor your car when it's a mish-mash of expensive goods? No theme whatsoever? I don't think so.

Anyway, think before you buy is my motto.
Old 10-06-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

speedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the rough
what about car shows?
u can earn some of ur money back.
Old 10-06-2002
DIY King

How much though? Would you win with this kind of a combination? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-06-2002
Registered!!

aZnVoYCe has a spectacular aura aboutaZnVoYCe has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, not to mention popularity and represents yourself. My best bang for the buck is my Tiens' so far.
Old 10-06-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Best bang for the buck was my Injen CAI. Not so much for HP, but for the 4 MPG more than stock. It's slowly paying itself off. It's also the only performance mod I've done, so I have nothing else to go off of.
Old 10-06-2002
Registered!!

AceKicker is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Grey
See what I mean though? All that money for what? Show? I don't think you'll win back your $10K that way. For sponsors? Would they be willing to sponsor your car when it's a mish-mash of expensive goods? No theme whatsoever? I don't think so.[hr]
Well im going to say this I have gotten four sponsors with my car and I dont have no crazy theme. I have my graphics sponsor, my car parts sponsor, my rotor sponsor and my lighting sponsor. and im good to go. and a break in prices is good enough for me instead of paying full price. I alwasy take my car to shows and I might not always take First or even second but when peopel walk by my car and ask what I have done to it and what color is that or the best is MAN UR CAR LOOKS REALLY NICE that is all the pay back i need. I dont mind spending alot of money on my car that is what is called a hobby. But when I drive around and peopel stare at my car saying how nice it looks and how hot it is. then I know u used my money wisely. you dont alwasy win money at shows maybe a trophy but u know what that trophy is good enough for me to go home to and see that I put my money into something and it has been reconized. Grey this is not a flame jsut my opinion on the situation.
Old 10-06-2002
Registered!!

DogstyleEX is an unknown quantity at this point
i completely agree with grey on this one.. right now i'm focusing on suspension and handling.. and for power, later on down the road when REAL performance parts come out.. (if they actually do) like turbo kits or what not.. i don't know but if i were to spend like say 1000 bucks on something that doesn't even make a big difference in everyday driving.. then screw it.. as for kits, my motto is don't make your car look like something it's not. if you want to make it look fast, make it fast first.. of course this is only my plan of action. cause i'm **slowly** making the money for all this crap.
Old 10-06-2002
Registered!!

Nuts is an unknown quantity at this point
very well said. price to perfornace ratio sums it all up man.
Old 10-06-2002
Registered!!

Jhonda has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I baught my Focus SVT for the best bang for the buck. $18500 for 170HP and 145tq. Plus Jackson Racing's supercharger will be released in March of 2003 with 50 state legal lable on it. so that will put me at 200hp to the wheels and about 170tq to the wheels if not more for a total of but the $21000.
Old 10-06-2002
Registered!!

LikeWEEEEEEEEEE is an unknown quantity at this point
Just wondering if you bought a civic because you wanted the best bang for the buck. I did. Maybe not bang as in power, but bang as in reliability/looks/gas mileage. Now I'm kinda modifying it with this mindset as well. I don't want to pay too much for my modifications, so I buy stuff that gives the best price to performance ratio. I guess I just don't like to see people with civics putting on 3-piece forged rims, $5,000 stereo systems, and who knows what else. It's only achievable by those with lots of money, and civic owners aren't exactly wealthy people (at least I'm not). Get what I'm saying? If you spend $10K on your 7th gen and you haven't really acheived anything, then you're a moron.

For example, an automatic sedan. Add 3-piece 18" forged rims and Pirellli's. $2,500 Add a 3,000 stereo system that weighs 300 pounds. Add a dual exhaust, an intake, and some headers. $1,500 Then you slap on some LCD's. $2,000 And hook that up to a PS2. $500 Then you do limo tint, maybe some neon's, some HID's. $1000 Then you could use a leather interior and some wood grain accents (maybe pedals and shift **** thrown in there too). $1,000 Can't forget the bodykit. $1,000 For a grand total of $9,500. The items listed aren't exactly ricey either, just expensive.

See what I mean though? All that money for what? Show? I don't think you'll win back your $10K that way. For sponsors? Would they be willing to sponsor your car when it's a mish-mash of expensive goods? No theme whatsoever? I don't think so.

Anyway, think before you buy is my motto.[hr]
10 grand in strictly performance mods, hell my car would be pushing 300 hp! just wish i had 10 k. show mods never appealed to me.
Old 10-07-2002
Registered!!

n00dleboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Protege 5 best bang for the buck. Excellent reliability, Good gas mileage, awesome looks, awesome handling, fog lights, 4 wheel disc brakes, abs, power everything, 16" rims, excellent dunlop 5000 all seasons, plenty of room, remote keyless entry, comes with Window tinting and standard alarm and decent power/torque. (130/135)

all for $21K CAD ~ 16-17K USD.
Old 10-07-2002
DIY King

How much for all that? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-07-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought my civic because I liked the looks, the size, the interior, the gas mileage, and definately for the 5 star crash rating.

I looked at several other cars and after a month or so of intense, internal turmoil, I went with the civic because I trust the honda name.

I have spent some money on my car but not a whole lot. The thing is, I would spend the same amount on an rsx-s if I had one. My wife approved my idea to trade the vic for the new si or the rsx-s under one condition: I couldn't do any mods. This rule was part of the deal because no matter what car it is, I am going to spend a few grand modding it. So, I would just end up with a bigger payment tacked onto the cost of the same mods. Ultimately, I didn't trade up because one of the best things about my civic are my low payments and the fact that when she is paid off, I doubt she'll have accumulated 35k. So, I figure a paid for honda with 35,000miles has got to be something to smile about. Yea, I'll probably be driving it 4 years from now, but guess what, no car payment and plenty of money to save, go out to eat, buy my daughter stuff, you fill in the blank...

I love to ramble.

Bottom line for me: I love cars but they are nothing more than transportation when you get right down to it. The civic is cheap, reliable, you don't feel bad because you see tons of money going out the window as it gets older, excellent mpg, fun to drive, and what a honda is-oh so practical.
Old 10-07-2002
Registered!!

n00dleboy is an unknown quantity at this point
How much for all that? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][hr]
$21 CAD.. which is about 16-17 $ USD.
Old 10-08-2002
Registered!!

Nuts is an unknown quantity at this point
well i like the new the v6 manual accord. thats bang for you buck!!!!!!!