General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Tips, Tactics, Strategies, Secret Codes, and Combos for AUTOMATIC Transmission Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kenji4861 is an unknown quantity at this point
Tips, Tactics, Strategies, Secret Codes, and Combos for AUTOMATIC Transmission Drivers

So our automatic transmissions have 6 options (at least on mine) and people look at me like a retard when I try to make use of all of these. Most or .. all automatic drivers I've seen only use, {P,R,D}

So I got some questions and some strategies ... Correct me if I'm wrong
SHARE US YOUR TECHNIQUES OR USAGE

--Automatic Transmission Moves--
P - parking brake. Put this on when you want your computer to stay at halt. Also can be used when your brakes don't work and when you want to stop. Using parking brake while you're still moving causes a bad sound and probably damaging some gears. If your brakes fail, try the Emergency Brakes first.

R - Reverse - Used to simply go backwords.

N - Neutral - When your car dies on you, set it to neutral and push it out of the way. Can we also put it to neutral everytime we slow down and come to a stop? Does that reduce gas?

D - Drive - my car comes with 4 speeds. Setting it on D will automatically switch among the 4. Used on higher speeds.

D3 - Drive (up to 3rd gear) - Used for stop and go traffics (according to manual). Why? I use this on regular traffic that's around 25mph.. Does it save gas? Also can be used when you are going too fast on D and you want to slow down.

D2 - Drive (up to 2nd gear) - Used when going up hill or down hill (according to manual). Definitely helps when you are going down hills. Won't speed up. Why does it help when going up hill?

--Secret Codes-- (not resposible if you actually try out the following)
Red Lining - Turn on your Cruise Control and set it to neutral. Your car will red line no problem.

Engine Blowup? - One time a guy said he can race a stick driver by... first at stop set it to neutral and rev your engine up to 4k rpm or so and switch your gear to D. Supposedly you get a head start. Again, go back to neutral and put up the RPM and set it back to D. Don't know how this works, but people say it'll blow your engine. The guy says, you can win a stick driver this way.

180 Degree Turn - Put the car in reverse and floor it. Turn the steering wheel 90degrees around as you simultaneously drop the transmission into D. Once the car turns, you can start driving like normal.

How to jump out of your moving car - Open the car door and jump out at an angle that you are sure the car won't hit you. Tuck in your head and arms and legs. Roll when you hit the ground. Try to jump out when there's either a soft ground and no poles or anything.

--Rumors--
Drive Automatic like Stick - Some people believe an automatic transmission can be driven like a Stick if you, set it to D, then to D2, then to D3, then to D... no no.. D2 is not actually the 2nd gear, it's just 1st and 2nd. Same goes for D3.

Women like Men with Automatics - .. Still under research.

Automatic is more expensive than an Stick - This is actually true when you buy the car, but owning a stick may mean replacing the clutch once in a while. This is again.. not too sure. I'm sure Automatics will be a lot of $$ if it ever fails as well.
Old 09-29-2002
Registered!!

2k2civicRAY is an unknown quantity at this point
[QUOTE]Quote
[hr][i]Originally posted by: kenji4861[/i--Secret Codes-- (not resposible if you actually try out the following)
Red Lining - Turn on your Cruise Control and set it to neutral. Your car will red line no problem.q]

So what? You put your car in neutral and then set the cruise control?? Then when you are driving normally you turn on the cruise control and floor it and it will redline higher/quicker?? I dont get it.
Old 09-29-2002
Eee Tee Too (Ess DoubleU)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Strebor is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: kenji4861

D2 - Drive (up to 2nd gear) - Used when going up hill or down hill (according to manual). Definitely helps when you are going down hills. Won't speed up. Why does it help when going up hill?

--Rumors--
Drive Automatic like Stick - Some people believe an automatic transmission can be driven like a Stick if you, set it to D, then to D2, then to D3, then to D... no no.. D2 is not actually the 2nd gear, it's just 1st and 2nd. Same goes for D3.
[hr]
Nope. D2 (at least in the 'Vic) is 2nd gear only, not 1st and 2nd.

Old 09-29-2002
Registered!!

bottlefed is an unknown quantity at this point
i agree with Strebor
Old 09-29-2002
Mex
Registered!!

Mex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the rough
it's true, the Civic has P R N D D3 2. if it only lists a number, then the car will only be in that gear. if there's a D infront of the number, it means the car will act the same as if it were in D, only it will not go any higher than the gear next to it.
Old 09-29-2002
Registered!!

kenji4861 is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Mex
it's true, the Civic has P R N D D3 2. if it only lists a number, then the car will only be in that gear. if there's a D infront of the number, it means the car will act the same as if it were in D, only it will not go any higher than the gear next to it.[hr]
Does this mean, you can actually put it to "2" yourself and at least control the part that goes from 1st to 2nd gear?
Old 09-29-2002
Eee Tee Too (Ess DoubleU)

Strebor is an unknown quantity at this point
Only if you want to shift into 2nd before the transmission would. But you could leave it in 2nd all day long and shift to 3rd by putting it in D3, and same with 4th gear.
Old 09-29-2002
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
"Engine Blowup? - One time a guy said he can race a stick driver by... first at stop set it to neutral and rev your engine up to 4k rpm or so and switch your gear to D. Supposedly you get a head start. Again, go back to neutral and put up the RPM and set it back to D. Don't know how this works, but people say it'll blow your engine. The guy says, you can win a stick driver this way"
-thats called neutral dropping.. badd for your tranny more then the engine.
"D2 - Drive (up to 2nd gear) - Used when going up hill or down hill (according to manual). Definitely helps when you are going down hills. Won't speed up. Why does it help when going up hill?"
-so you dont roll back, also prevents the wheels from spinning too fast on dirty/mud
"D3 - Drive (up to 3rd gear) - Used for stop and go traffics (according to manual). Why? I use this on regular traffic that's around 25mph.. Does it save gas? Also can be used when you are going too fast on D and you want to slow down."
-around 30-45 miles the car likes to shift between 3rd and 4th gear, d3 simply keeps it in 3rd. i guess it saves gas... also you shouldnt use it to slow down when your going too fast... your going to blow your engine like that. you do use it to slow down during hills tho.

something new.. brake torquing... hold your brake and push the gas, let go and floor it to get a better launch.... i think its badd for the torque converter tho.
Old 09-29-2002
Registered!!

SLeePeR012 is an unknown quantity at this point
No Brake torqing isnt bad for the torque convertor, think about it? HOW can it? Maybe bad for the brakes, cuz they are the ones that are taking in all the stress.
Now you neutral drop it, thas bad for the torque convertor, so is red-lining it. Automatic convertors can't put out as much power at shifts, thas why we don't chirp, our convertors on our civics I think shouldn't pass 6.6 or else theres a small strain on it, manual trannies...much different.
And that's the bottom line folks
Old 09-29-2002
7thgen guh chee

JohnnyLee is an unknown quantity at this point
I make sure to pass this on
Old 09-29-2002
Registered!!

LikeWEEEEEEEEEE is an unknown quantity at this point
tips for auto drivers? hmm dont race in an automatic road car.
Old 09-29-2002
Registered!!

htowncivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Tips, Tactics, Strategies, Secret Codes, and Combos for automatic trannies? How about the FIERCE FIERCE DRAGON PUNCH neutral transmission drop combo? Takes away 25% of your tranny's energy if you perform the combo successfully. Be sure to make a deep hit or the combo won't connect.

[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-29-2002
Registered!!

white97ex is an unknown quantity at this point
silly silly automatic drivers
Old 09-29-2002
Registered!!

Shawn02 is an unknown quantity at this point
htown civic...thats hilarious man.....kenji that was the crappiest thread ever. Thanks for absolutely nothing. Unlike you, i did not get the automatic transmission to race. My civic couldn't succeed in most races with either transmission. I just wanted an auto for easier city driving and because i used to have a stick so i wanted something different. May God have mercy on your soul, kenji. And good luck with those hardcore races in your tricked out automatic w/ its secret codes and tips that don't mean crap and are mostly based on common sense. A few of those fall under the category "how to rip apart your automatic transmission."
Old 09-29-2002
Registered!!

white97ex is an unknown quantity at this point
oh this was for real...i thought it was a joke...lol.
Old 09-29-2002
Registered!!

brill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nice
an auto tranny increases the total cost of the car by roughly $1000CDN... Even a 10 yr old car with an auto tranny is still worth $500-700 more with the automatic tranny... and provided you DONT LISTEN TO THIS THREAD and drive your car in a sensible fashion... in an approx. 10 year time span, your transmission should only cost you the $300-500 of depreciation.

and Kenji, if you ever complain about your car needing lots of work (warranty or otherwise) i hope no one feels sorry for you.
Old 09-29-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
i tried the neutrual/cruise combo, but it simply disable my cruise control[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-29-2002
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
to me honestly racing with our civics now is a joke. i mean unless if you have some type of fi or motorswap, its a joke. someone please prove me wrong. and i dont think anyone plans on actually racing with an auto. i mean auto drivers like everyone else have that time when the person next to us in a ford or whatever revs. how can you not turn it down, of course we're going to race even if we have an auto. i personally dont expect to win but i just like to see how far i could get. like everyone said, i didn't get this car to race but there are still going to be those few times when i do. so dont flame us auto drivers.
i wonder how much faster an auto vs manual is anyways...
Old 09-29-2002
Registered!!

Ducatti is an unknown quantity at this point

Good job posting a piece of junk thread, Hitler thanks you for keeping Nazism alive!
Old 09-29-2002
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Red Lining - Turn on your Cruise Control and set it to neutral. Your car will red line no problem.

How do you set cruise control to neutral? Neutral isn't a speed.

IronFist