General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Window tint!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cheesy9999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Window tint!

What is the darkest legal %?

Should I just get the rolls of stuff at PepBoys or whatever?

I know nothing about tint. What do I need to put with stuff on? How do I do it? Anything else I should know?

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2002
Registered!!

wh3nw0rdsesc4pe is an unknown quantity at this point
It differs from state to state, in my member's pics they are at 5% really illegal, have tickets to prove it
Old 09-11-2002
7thgen guh chee

JohnnyLee is an unknown quantity at this point
Go to a couple of different stores and ask around.
Old 09-11-2002
Registered!!

Toad is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: cheesy9999

Should I just get the rolls of stuff at PepBoys or whatever?

Thanks![hr]
uhh... that stuff at Pep Boys is really cheap for a reason

get it done right the first time [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-11-2002
Mex
Registered!!

Mex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the rough
now wait, isn't it just illegal to tint the driver and passenger side window beyond the legal limit? correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe the rear windows can be dark dark.. some cars (trucks, vans, etc) don't even have rear windows on em.
Old 09-11-2002
00 Hatchback Owner

Gryphin is an unknown quantity at this point
hmmm theres a link that tells you your states tint % limithere
Old 09-11-2002
Registered!!

StraightEdgeCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
just lets the pros do it....i drop my car off on friday morning for 20% all the way around. $180 for a sedan...plus a strip in the front
Old 09-11-2002
Registered!!

LuZi0n is an unknown quantity at this point
the pros can do it, but they cant write a receipt or they could get in some shlt
Old 09-11-2002
Registered!!

cheesy9999 is an unknown quantity at this point
It looks liek the darkest legal tint is 70% in Cali...what can we get away with? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-11-2002
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
in cali the rears could be pitch black, the front however cant be tinted at all unless if its from factory.. but who cares its just a fix it ticket anyways... well worth it if you ask me.. had mine for a year now still havnt gotten caught...
Old 09-11-2002
Registered!!

Mekenna is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]It looks liek the darkest legal tint is 70% in Cali...what can we get away with? [hr]
You couldn't even see 70%.. if you're talking about legal on the front windows then I guess you could get away with that because it would look like nothing is there at all. I have 50% on my fronts and I wonder why I even bothered, you can hardly tell. You can have as dark as you want on any of the windows besides the front two and the windshield. That thing says you can have a strip on the windshield but I thought you couldn't have anything *shrug* same thing with the two front.. I know you can't have anything on those either, and that thing says 70% is okay, but like I said you wouldn't be able to see that anyhow.

Anyways, some people get away with tint on their front windows for a long time and you can't even see through it.. and then I know someone who got a ticket for 50% like I have.. it is just the chance you want to take, or how much you want to put up with getting the stuff stripped off.
Old 09-11-2002
Registered!!

SatansEnemy is an unknown quantity at this point
as of right now i have 5%,2.6 with a reading from a cop's measuring device, with a ticket to boot,he told me in ala. 32.5 all-around in a car is the limit, so later tonight my car will be factory again[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]cops in cullman city are all [IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG]i guess im gonna getyellow all-around,on my black civic. good luck with the tint. P.S. cops[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-11-2002
Registered!!

BlueFlame is an unknown quantity at this point
It depends entirely on where you live, however most (MOST) cops really look at the front windows, and don't care too much about the rear ones. Just check your local laws, and have it done by the pros!! I see too many cars that have been self-tinted, and they're all peeling, or bubbling up, or just plain look like sh¡t!
So spend some cash, and maintain the coolness of your car. Also, if you want tint darker than what the legal limit is where you live, you can go to a neighboring state and have someone there do it darker, and then have them put it on the title, so when you go back home the cops can't say anything. It works something like that, it might not be that simple though. But it's an option if you REALLY want ..

yellow tint? I actually saw a yellow neon today that had yellow mirror tint all around, it looked surprisingly good, I mean for a neon ..
heh heh ..
Old 09-11-2002
Registered!!

StraightEdgeCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
i dont think that would work bluflame....unless ur car was registered in another state...
Old 09-11-2002
Registered!!

VTECTypeR is an unknown quantity at this point
Im getting a tint for real cheap. 50 bucks for a tint.Tell me if u can beat that.
Old 09-11-2002
Registered!!

Elite is an unknown quantity at this point
hey guys guess what front windows eg. passanger and drivers side have to be 5% tint its like no tint at all thats cali law I know for a fact, reason: 3 cops in the past year got shot in the face because the tint was too dark and couldn't see. BTW u got yur tint for 50 bucks guess what I got mine for 220 chome tint plus its really worth it cuz its a lifetime warranty difference between at 50 buck tint is u get purp tint and it will start bubbling up. I have already got my a ticket for my ticket for my tints and they said my tints were at least 60% all six windows the front windshield is like 3 inches long thats most legal u can do, I know for a fact. Just make sure yur 18 after u get yur tints because the cops will harrass u, thats why im getting everything in my car carb legal and ish. Basically in cali u can't get pulled over for suspicion it is illegal plus u just give them a reason to search yur car or stop u. I can't wait till next week I will be doing everything carb legal. As far as I know is that u can basically have any kind of % tint on yur back windows u can prolly paint them I think, im not sure. But anyways next week I will roll down my front windows on my coupe cruise around with a loudass exhaust which is carb legal and get my dcsports also carb legal and my injen CAI everything will be cool, then I can harrass the cop [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/demon.gif[/IMG] can't wait omfg. This will be so funny, u can actually sue them for them pulling u over. Say i don't give a damn im going to court, from my past experience and my drivers school from ticket, I basically know U can do this. 5% tint = no tint at all, how sad is that. BTW im looking for a manual tranny used. I heard u can buy one for $700 sooo, if u can find less I live in Orange County, CA. Help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-11-2002
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
dogg are you drunk? if your not sorry but it just seems like that...
5% is limo tint.. 95% is nothing. you got it the other way around...
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

quicksilver is an unknown quantity at this point
in texas 35% is the darkest... yeah 5% is limo.... you crazy.....
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

Taffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant future
I tinted my 1st integra with 5% limo, It Was SOO Dark that you could barely see out of it at night, I had roll down my windows just to drive around. As for Daytime, you could not see into the car in broad daylight, I guess that's good for security reasons, but overall for 5% it's not practical
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

Mekenna is an unknown quantity at this point
Elite.....

You are just a little backwards... here let's make it easy, the SMALLER the percentage number the DARKER the tint is..
Old 09-12-2002
ak
Retired Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

ak can only hope to improve
Tinting Law Chart for every state
Old 09-21-2002
Registered!!

windowtint is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: VTECTypeR
Im getting a tint for real cheap. 50 bucks for a tint.Tell me if u can beat that.[hr]
$50 huh....

and you're bragging about that????[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

that's like saying "I'M A CHEAP BASTARD AND I GET MY FAKE NIKES FROM THE DOLLAR STORE, CNA YOU BEAT THAT!?"

$50 is NOT something to brag about... that is a humiliating mark of dishonor on YOU.

Well... you'll see.. you get what you paid for... I bet you a full refund on the tint if I got to see it I could write a 5 page list of all the things wrong with it ~ things you get when you spend $50.

If someone were to come into 99% of all the PROFESSIONAL tint shops and asked about a $50 tint job... the tinter would probably be arrested for shoving the customers corpse in the floor drain.

~~Is there ANY gap on the roll-down windows? ANY AT ALL!? ~ shouldn't be if it's worth half a crap...

~~Back window in one peice? ~It'd better be.

~~is your windsheild visor curved with the glass or does it look like crap? i.e. ~ wide on the ends, narrow in the middle.

~~ Coupe? Are the dots at teh top of the window 100% adhered? ~NO(!!!) air under the film, NO(!!!) whitish apearence on the top 2" of rear window glass.

~~Tint BEHIND the brake light and not cut around it? Any tinter worth half a crap will tint behind the 3rd brake light no matter how much trouble it is.

~~99% dust free? It'd better... but for $50 I doubt it

~~NO GAPS ANYWHERE! (??) ~ can you see the edge of the film ANYWHERE, from the inside OR out!? I bet on yours you can.

~~IMPORTANT! On the doors, is the film tucked behind the door panel AT LEAST 3-4"??!!? Civic's have a double dust seal and you must get the tint past BOTH or the film will eventually peel! I bet for $50 it's tucked about 1/2", if at all.

I could go on... but I don't feel it's neccessary to post the 5 pages of problems in a $50 tint job. (only a fool would let someone tint their car for $50.....)
Old 09-21-2002
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
HEHE yeah I payed 175 for all windows w/ window strip and no brake cut out. But then I hate legal on the front 2 windows so I went to 22% then I hated that and had %6 limo to match the rest of the car and can't complain. Its dark but I love it and a lot of people have limo around here so who knows

But I would never pay $50 for tint unless u knew the guy and the work he does, also what kind of film they are using

Nick