General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

I keep blowing them up ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002
Sometimes, I can see right through myself ...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
taz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud of
I keep blowing them up ...

I don't know what my problem is. I keep blowing up all the aftermarket bulbs I put in. I've gone through 4 sets of them in 6 months - 1 set of KMax bulbs (cheapo ones; little bro got them for me for xmas), 1 set of Hipers (3 days old!) and 2 sets of Nokyas. I keep blowing them up! I don't know wtf I'm doing wrong either. I actually wear gloves when I put the bulbs in, so I know I'm not touching them. They are 55/60W bulbs too, so I know they're not putting any stress on the wiring harness. I've had the OEM bulbs in and out I dunno how many times, and I never have a problem. Any clue as to what I could be doing wrong with these things? I hate just tossing this money out the window. I'm so pissed that I might actually just say eff it and get a HID kit.
Old 09-04-2002
Registered!!

zero is an unknown quantity at this point
you shouldn't really even touch the glass with anything. Handle it by the metal parts. That may be the cause for it to blow so quickly.
Old 09-04-2002

taz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud of
Yeah, I don't touch the glass at all. Or, not on purpose anyway. The reason I wear the gloves (medical style) is for that just-in-case I do touch the bulbs. I'm not touching the bulbs at all, yet they still blow. I can't figure it out. I've actually touched the OEM bulbs and they're still running fine. I'm tired of wasting my money on these things, but yet I want ther aftermarket bulbs, not because they look good, but because they actually light up the road better. I may just take my chances with PIAAs next time this happens.
Old 09-04-2002
ak
Retired Mod

ak can only hope to improve
someone suggested cleaning the light bulb with windex and a good paper towel before installation.
Old 09-04-2002
Registered!!

TwilightX is an unknown quantity at this point
They light up better at night on a clear night, but I find that they do jack in the rain...OEM is the way to go for most things IMO - I read somewhere a comparison between OEM and aftermarkets, and OEM won hands down...

Wanna stay with the same company that makes OEM lights in Japan, AND get that clear light? I heard Raybrig is the way to go...

But that's only what I heard...from personal expeience, I had a pair of cool blues (not with the blue output, just clear white), and they blew almost at the same time...I put in my stockies, and they've been fine ever since...Visibility at night during the rain with the cool blues was horrid, and with the OEM's it's not terrible.

I need foglights! they're so hard to find cheap for my year...dang 97 DX &*%&^$&^$&^%$R
Old 09-04-2002
Registered!!

LikeWEEEEEEEEEE is an unknown quantity at this point
its phillips hid kit or nothing. those aftermarket bulbs are less powerful than stock headlights
Old 09-04-2002
The Standard One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
eh, maybe its the company, i got 'import showoff'(not sure if thats the actual company) bulbs and its been fine for about 6 months now
Old 09-04-2002

Well, I've thought about the Raybring bulbs. I've heard pretty good stuff about them. I just don't know where to find them to begin with, and what would be good to go with. If someone could hit me up with a good link to research these Raybrig bulbs, I'd apprciate it.

As for the PIAAs, I've thought about the Super Plasma and the Super Plasma GTs. They're both 5000K for the low beam, almost the same brightness as a HID kit.
Old 09-04-2002
Registered!!

Mokushi is an unknown quantity at this point
Raybrig bulbs are made by the same company that makes PIAA. Personally, I would just get real HID and screw the cheapos. I've burned my fair share of bulbs too. The ones I have now are some cheapos from ebay that I got for $10. They are labeled as 170W/155W, but they work just fine in my car. Have had them for about 8 months now. All my others (KMax, Nokya, etc) have burned out in less than a month...
Old 09-04-2002
Registered!!

TwilightX is an unknown quantity at this point
Raybrig aint cheap if you get the real deal...24.00 for a pair...you should see the foggies...they go for mucho money, like 180.00+
Old 09-04-2002

[hr]Originally posted by: Mokushi
Raybrig bulbs are made by the same company that makes PIAA. Personally, I would just get real HID and screw the cheapos. I've burned my fair share of bulbs too. The ones I have now are some cheapos from ebay that I got for $10. They are labeled as 170W/155W, but they work just fine in my car. Have had them for about 8 months now. All my others (KMax, Nokya, etc) have burned out in less than a month...[hr]
HID kit you say? Great idea! You wanna give me the ~$600 to buy this? [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

HIDs are truly a great idea, but not really at the same time. See, where I come from, *anything and everything* you could do to your car is illegal. It sucks living in VA. I've also heard that VA is trying to outlaw HIDs, even on cars from the factory. Also, it'd be hell having to disconnect the kit and put in regular bulbs when it comes inspection time. So, for the most part, a HID kit isn't an option.
Old 09-04-2002
Registered!!

showoff is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't cry over your burnt bulbs at least you didn't lose a real HID bulb like I did! . This osram d2s bulb is gonna cost me well over 100 bucks to replace not to mention an addition 200 bucks for a new harness/ ballast that fried when my drivers side headlight condensed after a hot to cold sudden thunderstorm. Pointer for all those who think its easy to seal a conversion! Use silicone sealant and lots of it! Also plasti dip all connecting wires and ballasts to ensure your kits weather seal 2 fold. Don't end up falling in love with your HID headlights just to find out they're just as easy to break. Its been almost two years I've had this kit and by the time they blew they were a gorgeous baby blue, but now thats all a memory and i've got no pictures to reminisce by .
Old 09-04-2002
Registered!!

netcbc is an unknown quantity at this point
same thing happened to me, i went out and got an HID kit
Old 09-04-2002
Registered!!

philliesblunt420 is an unknown quantity at this point
Use 91% rubbing alcohol to clean bulbs
Old 09-04-2002
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
i got genetic xenon from target, 55w used about 1 year, no problem at all it was only 14.99 too LOL
Old 09-04-2002

[hr]Originally posted by: philliesblunt420
Use 91% rubbing alcohol to clean bulbs[hr]
But how is this going to help me *after* the bulb has burnt out? [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] Like I said, I had a set of Hipers in there for like 3 days, and it burnt out on me. Got the slightest little bubble in it, and *poof!* Thankfully I had a set of Nokya's I had bought in the glovebox.
Old 10-11-2003
Registered!!

JCiv03 is on a distinguished road
i went to target today, and walked through the automotive section. and to my suprise, i found some (i think generic?) Xenon White Lite Glow bulbs. i got them for 13 bucks. just installed them today
Old 10-11-2003
Registered!!

Ha0sVtecEX is an unknown quantity at this point
i got no clue with those aftermarket bulbs , i can see same people buy them every fricking 2 weeks , i got this friend in a bmw he burns them out every month or something , i guess the hid is the way to go they last much longer ,
Old 10-11-2003
Registered!!

JayFReaZy will become famous soon enough
Yea, I have mtec h1's and they blow out like every 2-4 months. Its fcukin annoying. I plan on buying some PIAA's in the future. I know a lot of people say theres no difference or they're as crappy as the next bulb, but hey, they gotta have something good about them if they got sponsors all over the place. Anyone with the PIAA's 30% up? 60/55w>135/125, how do you like them?
Old 10-11-2003
Registered!!

SeThisBlaze is an unknown quantity at this point
man this sh*t is happing to me too.....i'm on my 2nd set of cuzo bulbs...my first set only lasted 1 month....but what really gets my mad is that my sister has some APC bulbs and its been in her car for over 1 year.......
Old 10-11-2003
Video Game & Movie Whore!

SlvrLx26 will become famous soon enough
I bought these bulbs from Euro Dezigns and taken them on and off and they've lasted a long time. Just put them back on yesterday and still shine. Bought them at an import show for $20 and and best thing is that they come with a lifetime warranty. But you gotta send the bulbs send $5.99 and they'll replace them. I recommend them but you should buy two pairs for back ups just in case.

Last edited by SlvrLx26; 10-12-2003 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-12-2003
Registered!!

Huh_Oh Sh*t! is an unknown quantity at this point
SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR GENUINE H.I.D.'s!!!
Old 10-12-2003
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
it'll happen with high wattage bulbs. my piaa super plasmas on my old civic went out 4 times or so in a year
Old 10-12-2003
Banned

ImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trusted
Originally posted by showoff
Don't cry over your burnt bulbs at least you didn't lose a real HID bulb like I did! . This osram d2s bulb is gonna cost me well over 100 bucks to replace not to mention an addition 200 bucks for a new harness/ ballast that fried when my drivers side headlight condensed after a hot to cold sudden thunderstorm. Pointer for all those who think its easy to seal a conversion! Use silicone sealant and lots of it! Also plasti dip all connecting wires and ballasts to ensure your kits weather seal 2 fold. Don't end up falling in love with your HID headlights just to find out they're just as easy to break. Its been almost two years I've had this kit and by the time they blew they were a gorgeous baby blue, but now thats all a memory and i've got no pictures to reminisce by .
Same thing happend to me... But, I only had it on my car for a month. :x

I have them underwarranty from UBrightlights, So i will be getting bulbs back for free (I have to pay shipping).

Honestly... There are aftermarket bulbs that cost 80$-90$ PIAA 20$ more and you get 2 HID bulbs lease: HID is the way to go... I miss mine
Old 10-12-2003
Registered!!

01civicboi is an unknown quantity at this point
Maybe it's a sign to stick with stock bulbs. The only worthwhile alternative would be HID
Old 10-12-2003
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,159 Likes on 807 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
i have the target lite glow ones in mine also. they work great. although i havent gotten the chance to drive them in the rain yet... but its a good bulb for 13 bucks
Old 10-12-2003

gotti will become famous soon enoughgotti will become famous soon enough
The APC bulbs owned.

I installed them and had them in my car for 6 months before my accident and they never blew.
Old 10-12-2003
Registered!!

meth is an unknown quantity at this point
i've had my Nokya's headlight bulbs for a year or a lil more now, and they're still glowing strong man. I have no idea why yours are blowing out.
Old 10-12-2003
Ricerus Maximus

clownprince will become famous soon enoughclownprince will become famous soon enough
I had a set of Nokya's in my car for a year until one of them took a crap and the high beam burned out. Nothing major but still needed to replace it. I replaced them with APC's and they lasted over a year and a half. When I cleared my headlights I accidentaly touched one of them and it blew that night. The APC bulbs OWN. When I bought a set of cleared headlights off ebay to paint black (and still have a clear set that could be made stock again) they came with a set of PIAA's in them. They are a great bulb and provide great visibility. They are almost the same as the APC, just a little bit better as far as the tint of the light. I keep a cheap set of Hyper H4's in the glove box just in case I blow a bulb. I would say get the PIAA's but the APC's are good too. Just clean the bulb with alcohol and do not touch ANY part of the bulb. Handle it by the metal and it should be fine.
Old 10-12-2003
Registered!!

audioefx3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the mtec bulbs and no problems so far(2 months).

Quick Reply: I keep blowing them up ...