General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Turbo DIY

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barney should not be trustedBarney should not be trustedBarney should not be trusted
Turbo DIY

Turbo DIY *** Will finish and have pics. ***

Before starting this project be sure to disconnect the negative battery terminal on you civic and make sure your engine has had time to cool down. Proper tools and environment help for a safer working area.

Tools required:
1.Full set of wrenches and/or sockets.
2.Saftey glasses
3.Silicone
4.Flat head screwdriver
5.Razor blade
6.Set of alan wrenches
7.Dremel tool
8.Drill and drill bits (optional)

Products required:
1..Turbo manifold
2..Turbonetics delta wastegate
3..T3/T4 hybrid turbo
4..Downpipe
5..Intake tubing
6..Forced induction tubing (to throttle body)
7..Silicone connectors(size depends on tubing)
8..Metal screw clamp (capable of 10 psi)
9..Oil line kit (for turbo and wastegate)
10.Vacuum lines (for blow off valve and wastgate)
11.Intercooler (liquid or air)
12.Intake filter
13.Custom exhaust (recommended but optional)
14.Blow off valve (any brand)
15.Blow off valve adapter
16.Manifold bracket (to hold weight of turbo)
17.Bigger injectors (320 cc)
18.Thermal wrap (optional, keeps intake air cooler)
19.New racing clutch (optional)
20.25 shot of nitrous (optional for low rpm turbo spooling)

STEP # 1 Disconnecting header/manifold:
Start by opening the hood. Evaluate the situation. Make sure the header/manifold is cool. Have tools ready and present. Start by disconnecting the O2 sensor from the header/manifold. Next, disconnect the header from the motor. There should be 2 bolts and 3 nuts. Next, disconnect the 2 bolts at the bottom of the header/manifold connected to the downpipe.

Step # 2 Cutting out the grill (for best performance)
Make sure you have your saftey glasses on and have on gloves. Start by cutting the black grill out of the front bumber. Make sure you cut only the black plastic grill. Next, clean away all scraps and sharp edges.

Step # 3 Installing the intercooler and tubing:
Mounting the air to air intercooler. Make sure the intercooler is clean of all sustances. Next, Slide the intercooler into the front bumper and mount firmly to the bumber brace with clamps that are supplied with the intercooler. Next, slide a silicone connector over each end of the intercooler.(make sure it is the right size) Next, screw the clamp down real tight. Slide the numbered tubing into the other ends of the silicone connectors. Next, slide connectors over the other end of the silicone connectors that have a clamp on them already and screw them tightly down. (finding area fot the tubing is a tricky step. My words to you are, just make it work. It will work) Next, add more tubing to both ends of the tubing already on the intercooler and silicone connectors with clamps as previously stated. Next, use a silicone connector and clamp to connect one end of the tubing to the turbo itself. Make sure all clamp are very tight and have a good seal. Next, to connect the tubing to the throttle body see step # 4.

Step # 4 Installing intake filter
This step is the easiest. First connect tubing to intake on turbo. Next, slide silicone connector over the tubing, use clamp and tighten. Slide intake filter and clamp over other end and tighten. Make sure the filter is not touching anything to damage it. Lets move on.

Step # 5 Connecting tubing to throttle body: (and sensors)
Disconnect stock air box. (see installing intake DIY) If aftermarket intake is used, then just connect tubing from intercooler to blowoff connector to the aftermarket intake using silicone connectors and clamps. Once again, make sure clamps are tightend.

Step # 6 Installing turbo manifold:
Like previous and further steps always make sure each part is free of any substances.(you dont want to damage the exhaust blades) Next, use the old gasket from the header/manifold and bolt the turbo manifold on. Next, Mount the manifold steady with the manifold bracket. Next, bolt on the wastegate using a new gasket supplied with wastgate. Next, bolt the downpipe to the turbo manifold and the stock or custom exhaust piping using the new gasket supplied with downpipe. Make sure everything is tight and lets move on.

Step # 7 Oil lines
This will probably be one of the most difficult procedures in installing a turbo. First drain the oil out of the motor. (read oil change DIY) Next, drill a hole towards the top of the oil pan. (make sure the hole is the same size as the supplied fitting) Clean surface as best as possible. Next, smear sealent around the hole and the fitting. Next, screw the fitting into the drilled hole. (make sure to not overtighten, or you will cause stripping and loss of seal) Next, allow sealent to dry for 48 hours for best seal. Next, smear sealent on one end of the line and connect to the fitting just placed into the oil pan. Next, smear sealent onto the other end of the line and connect to turbo. Next, smear sealent onto the next oil line and connect to other turbo fitting. Next, smear sealent on the other end of the line and connect to wastegate. Make sure all lines are tightend properly and lets move on.

Step # 8 Connecting vacuum lines:
Now we need vacuum to here that ppppsssssaaaaaaaaawwwwww from under the hood. First slide some hose over the fitting on the wastgate. Next, slide the other end of the hose over the t-fitting supplied with the hose. Next, take another piece of hose and slide it on the fitting on the blow off valve. Next, slide the other end of the hose from the blow off valve over the t-fitting. Next, slide hose over the only other available space over the t-fitting. Next, slide the last hose from the t-fitting to the two way fitting. Next, cut a small hole in the vacuum line from the intake to the valvecover. Next, slide the two way fitting into that hole.

Step # 9 Testing the system for leaks or not working properly:
First, reconnect the negative battery terminal. Next, have a friend start the car. Next, while the car is running look for leaks of oil. Next, feel around all the silicone connectors to make sure there is no leaks. If there are any leaks or the motor is not running properly then contact me for help.

Step # 10 Having fun
If everything is running properly then what are you doing reading this? Go have some funnnnnnn ppppppssssssaaaaaaawwwwwwhhhhh biatch!!!!! Aw finally. Here are some [IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG] for me and whoever does this.

This is a real and working kit.
I can get this whole kit shipped for $3000. PM me for questions.
Or call my cell phone at 321-403-7833
My name is Phil

ALL PARTS ARE FROM WWW.TURBO-PERFORMANCE.COM I CAN GET EVERYTHING FOR MUCH CHEAPER
Old 08-30-2002
Registered!!

silverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of light
Sweet. I'm sure Grey will likey![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 08-30-2002
ak
Retired Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

ak can only hope to improve
I thought the title was a question.... NUMBERoneHONDA, Nice DIY!!!
Old 08-30-2002
Registered!!

MagicRacing18 will become famous soon enoughMagicRacing18 will become famous soon enough
Sounds like a great winter project for me But where did you get a trubo manifold that will fit our cars?? At least one that is close.. but what mods need to be made to it. Keep up the good work man, I'm sure come December I will be PMing you for help on this *****.

~nick~
Old 08-30-2002
Registered!!

emmagatorone is an unknown quantity at this point
waiting for pics and dyno run [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 08-30-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Jeez.. I'm gonna need to see some pics to figure it all out, but COOL! How long did it take? You deserve a nice tall [IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG] for that.
Old 08-30-2002
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
me like turbo.

sure the mpg goes outta the window... but vroooooooommmmmm psssssttttttt.

I drove a friend's 13-14 sec 11psi greddy turbo civic... geez. 220+ wheel hp.
Old 08-30-2002
Registered!!

Ducatti is an unknown quantity at this point
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hardcore!
Old 08-30-2002
Registered!!

BLUENVY01 is an unknown quantity at this point
yah, i understand how to install it, but where/who made the exhaust manifold for you? and how much?
Old 08-30-2002
Registered!!

Toad is an unknown quantity at this point
NICE! i wonder who will actually try this...? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 08-30-2002
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Now:

After pics are put up: [IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]

After I install:

IronFist
Old 08-30-2002
Jefe de Jefes

big20ugly is an unknown quantity at this point
cool! lets see who will do it now!
Old 08-30-2002
Registered!!

silverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of light
Obviously you have stock internals. What boost are you running? I see you have an Ex so I'm kinda curious. Nice ride!
Old 08-30-2002
Registered!!

R3DF0G is an unknown quantity at this point
damn you damn you damn you damn you damn you damn you[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
oh well, I guess I'll get to see it in person in a coupe weeks.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Team se7en president(numberonehonda) ownz all of j00!
-Tim

Old 08-30-2002
2k1civic.com O. G.

AzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enoughAzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enough
who's gonna be first to get their wings any fly?
Old 08-30-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: AzNmiKex215
who's gonna be first to get their wings any fly?[hr]
Lead the way, bubba
Old 08-30-2002
BAD MON

Booohahaha is an unknown quantity at this point
wow thats pretty sweet
does that thing work on a auto? or will i have to save up and convert over to a standard???
Old 08-30-2002
Registered!!

XxJDMCivicxX is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice job, btw the auto to manual conversion you know how much it is boo?
Old 08-30-2002
Registered!!

enzymes is an unknown quantity at this point
I think you'd be better off getting the k20a2 swap to a 6speed instead of just the automatic to manual civic swap. It'd be much more worthwhile, and from what I hear, not a huge price gap.

I need to bookmark this thread for every newbie turbo question.
Old 08-30-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
Team Se7eN
Phill!!

now, i need to ride your car to see is it worth my while! i want it!
Old 08-30-2002
BAD MON

Booohahaha is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: XxJDMCivicxX
Nice job, btw the auto to manual conversion you know how much it is boo?[hr]
it shouldnt be too much if u go to the junkyard and rip it out of a car hahaha
should fairly affordable now!
hehehe
Old 08-30-2002

nice phil nice
Old 08-31-2002
Registered!!

inca is an unknown quantity at this point
there are 4570 members on this forum registered...if we all donated a dollar through paypal, that'd be a nice birthday present for derek. (or me )...free turbo

now i need a credit card with a limit of 3000 dollars
Old 08-31-2002
Registered!!

inca is an unknown quantity at this point
NUMBERoneHONDA: how much of the products required list does the kit include??
Old 08-31-2002
Registered!!

Penaloza is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: incamustard
there are 4570 members on this forum registered...if we all donated a dollar through paypal, that'd be a nice birthday present for derek. (or me )...free turbo

now i need a credit card with a limit of 3000 dollars [hr]
yea to platnium mastercard (too bad i don't have enough in the bank to survive that bill if i did charge )
Old 08-31-2002
Registered!!

nbpEMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
This is kind of a generic DIY, and the big question ,what about the fuel system? (besides the larger injectors, which are not mentioned at all in the insturctions)
Old 08-31-2002
Registered!!

JMan50 is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Phillippe01
This is kind of a generic DIY, and the big question ,what about the fuel system? (besides the larger injectors, which are not mentioned at all in the insturctions)[hr]
Phillippe,
Line #17 had the bigger injectors. I think he said 320?

Sounds cool to me, just wish I had the 3G to get it!!
Old 09-02-2002
Su Mo

RSXtypeIvtec is on a distinguished road
Numberonehonda...do you have pics yet?
Old 09-02-2002
Registered!!

nbpEMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry, did not see that part. Still alot of questions though.
Old 09-02-2002
Registered!!

jsmove is an unknown quantity at this point
I won't say anything bad or good until I see the pic.s

Quick Reply: Turbo DIY