General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

I want Proof!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
silverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of light
I want Proof!

Ok, if I've heard this once I've heard it a million times: ppl say you can't put an older engine in your car because it's illegal. Well, I WANT PROOF! Somebody give me a law I can look up and read. If I can't read it in black and white then I won't believe it.

I don't want to hear "I heard it from my baby's momma's cousin Tamiqua who knows the brother of a hairstylist who cut a lawyers hair. And he said he has a client who was best friend with a butcher who cut meat for this prostitute who slept with this guy who read the law!" That won't fly!
Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

DarkCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I've never heard that before.
Old 08-27-2002
em2

sspem2 has a spectacular aura aboutsspem2 has a spectacular aura about
[hr]Originally posted by: silverdevil
Ok,
I don't want to hear "I heard it from my baby's momma's cousin Tamiqua who knows the brother of a hairstylist who cut a lawyers hair. And he said he has a client who was best friend with a butcher who cut meat for this prostitute who slept with this guy who read the law!" That won't fly![hr]

[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] that was funny. i cant help you out man. i dont know either.
Old 08-27-2002
00 Hatchback Owner

Gryphin is an unknown quantity at this point
i never heard that????? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
man of the law here and i have nothing stating it illegal to my knowledge
Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
also check out your local codes annoited book to see. or call your local dmv and they can hook u up with one, but as far as i know its not illegal.
Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

silverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of light
I hear it every time someone posts about an engine swap and mention a B series or something. Ppl always come out with that statement. Well, I don't believe it. You can put whatever engine you want in your car. As long as it passes you local inspections like smog and you bought it legally and have the proof then why would it be illegal?
Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

lordryan is an unknown quantity at this point
I think its less a matter of the law and more a matter of how to do it, or else someone would have done a b series swap by now.
Old 08-27-2002
ak
Retired Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

ak can only hope to improve
It's not illegal until you get caught. [IMG]i/expressions/demon.gif[/IMG]
Old 08-27-2002
The Fallen Angel . . .

Vizyun is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: lordryan
I think its less a matter of the law and more a matter of how to do it, or else someone would have done a b series swap by now.[hr]
Um, a b-series swap has been done . . .

Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: ak
It's not illegal until you get caught. [IMG]i/expressions/demon.gif[/IMG][hr]
How do you know? Are you just repeating what you heard like a parrot? I want to know where it says I can't legally put an older engine in my car!

Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

NoowGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
too lazy to look
Old 08-27-2002
ak
Retired Mod

[hr]Originally posted by: ak
It's not illegal until you get caught. [IMG]i/expressions/demon.gif[/IMG][hr]
How do you know? Are you just repeating what you heard like a parrot? I want to know where it says I can't legally put an older engine in my car![hr]
Yes, i am a parrot.... yet another useless reply. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

[hr][i]Originally posted by: ak

Yes, i am a parrot.... yet another useless reply. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG][hr]
Dude, I didn't mean you are a parrot or you post uselessly. I'm just tired of ppl talking out their ***** and making up shiit!

Old 08-27-2002
ak
Retired Mod

[hr][i]Originally posted by: ak

Yes, i am a parrot.... yet another useless reply. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG][hr]
Dude, I didn't mean you are a parrot or you post uselessly. I'm just tired of ppl talking out their ***** and making up shiit![hr]
oh... ok. Well, why not visit your state's DMV website? or have you already tried that? good luck
Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

I tried surfing the Wa State site but I found nothing. I searched under Engine and Motor.
Old 08-27-2002

hmm i wonder where quick is on this one. hahahahaha [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

Collective is an unknown quantity at this point
No.. its not illegle to swap motors !!
Are you talking about T.M.U. (True Miles Unknown) ? That a DMV thing... Thats when a motor is changed in a vehicle and the odometer doe's not match the motor.... Hence, TMU... This also happens when the odometer has been tampered with... Now the title is stamped TMU by the DMV so all of the following owners are aware that the miles are not true ! This protects the consumers, but pisses off the the person selling the car. Go ask the used car manager about this... (not the salesman) The manager who appraises the car's when traded in... or your local DMV.

Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

Silver2k1Dood is an unknown quantity at this point
Here

Do a search on the web and you can dig up similar information, as well as laws/regulations specific to your state:

[hr]TECHNICAL CORNER
Engine Swaps Made Easier

By Frank Bohanan, SEMA Technical Consultant

Hobbyists frequently ask us about the rules governing engine switching in project vehicles. First of all, those engaged in engine switching activities are bound by specific state laws that may vary from state to state. Having said that, there are some general guidelines one may consider. This article will cover the rules for switching the engine in production-type vehicles. Specially constructed vehicles, street rods, kit cars and the like will have different rules which will be discussed at another time.

The basic rule of engine switching (as opposed to installing a "replacement" engine) is that the change must do no harm. This means that the engine being installed must theoretically be at least as "clean" as the one taken out. Several requirements may define "clean" for the purposes of engine switching:

Model Year: The engine to be installed must be the same age or newer than the one being replaced. Crate engines can be used if they are configured to resemble an engine that was certified by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and/or the California Air Resources Board. This essentially means that the required emissions parts must be present on the engine.

Certification Level: The engine to be installed must come from a vehicle certified to meet the same or more stringent emissions standards than the one replaced.

Vehicle Class: An engine from a vehicle class such as a motor home, medium-duty truck or marine application must not be used since these engines were certified to different types of emissions standards, using different tests.

System/Equipment: When swapping in a newer engine from a later-model vehicle, all of the relevant emissions control equipment must be transferred as well. This includes the carbon canister, the catalytic converter(s) and even parts of the on-board diagnostic (OBD) system. Some states have exceptions to this requirement, but the general rule is that as much of the donor vehicle's emissions system as possible should be transferred. The vehicle will likely run more efficiently with a full transfer of the system and shouldn't cause any undue heartache.

Of course, engine switching can be much more complex than described here, but these are good general rules to follow and should keep engine switchers out of trouble in most cases.[hr]
Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

civicpride is an unknown quantity at this point
that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard
Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

NeoMagus is an unknown quantity at this point
thats one of the rules of doing a hybrid man! I saw it on Honda tech cant remember what # it was but

"Never swap an older engine into a newer chassis"
Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

FiresVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
ok, now that that has been established. what would the penalties be for putting an older engine in a newer chassis? and will a police officer actually tell you to pop the hood....never in my experience, but i have never had an older engine in a newer car. i figure with so many performance parts out there for imports that the added sound of a higher performance engine could just be attributed to a performance exhaust of some kind to the layperson. and i personally think that if you have the money to throw down on a swap, then you should have the money to pay a fine if it comes down to that, unless they impound your car until its changed back to normal. If it's an emissions thing, then you should just "find a guy" i've known a lot of cool police officers that would be impressed with someone who took the initiative to have something like that done and to appreciate the individuality of the matter. however, i guess all it takes is one cop that doesn't think how i do. anyone else have an opinion?

Fire
Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRiceBoi is an unknown quantity at this point
Silver I remember you posting that question before after one of my replies and I searched and specifically told you that it has to do with EPA regulations and sent you some links, I do not feel like searching for it now, but it's illegal to put an engine which isn't up to the Cleanliness Standards set by the EPA in that year, so you might be able to put in an older engine as long as it conforms to the same Standards as an engine of year 2001, 2002, etc.

AN engine is also not quite as simple, most people wont put their jobs and place of employments/business at risk to pass your *** on some emissions test. Its easy to switch out a straight pipe in your exhaust for a cat every year befor eyou go in for inspection, however switching your motor back to original isnt quite as simple, if you can still go to a bunked out palce like jiffy lube for inspection they're too stupid to notice anything, but around here it's hard because they have placed more stringent emissions and safety testing in my county, so I gotta be really careful on hwo I go about modifying hte engine.
Old 08-28-2002
Second Place is the First Loser

Hefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the rough
And on that note... Why can't you pass emissions tests with aftermarket headers, high flow cat, and exhaust???

I mean... you still do have a cat on the car??
Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRiceBoi is an unknown quantity at this point
oh no you can i was tlaking about no cats whatsoever, because they be killing your performance alot as soon as they heat up.
Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: civicpride
that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard[hr]
Agreed!

It states all states are different. Well, that helps. I searched on the Wa. DMV page and the Vehicle Code and found nothing. I can see the TMU thing and the passing emissions. Everything else is dumb.
Old 08-29-2002
Registered!!

Dagooseisloose is an unknown quantity at this point
MAybe in Cali cause they got laws against all car stuff.
Old 08-29-2002
The Greatest

Fern is an unknown quantity at this point
if you want an answer for your specific state then haul your *** down to an inspection station and ask. its all about emissions so they would know. its not about some cop pulling you over and popping your hood, its the fact that when you go for inspection, you wont pass. thus, youll never be able to get an inspection and your car wont be road legal.
Old 08-29-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: WhiteRiceBoi
Silver I remember you posting that question before after one of my replies and I searched and specifically told you that it has to do with EPA regulations and sent you some links, I do not feel like searching for it now, but it's illegal to put an engine which isn't up to the Cleanliness Standards set by the EPA in that year, so you might be able to put in an older engine as long as it conforms to the same Standards as an engine of year 2001, 2002, etc. [hr]
Actually, now that you mention it I remember. I remember telling you about my friend swapping an engine in his car that was older. It was the same model, tho. He owned a 1989 Turbo II and blew his engine and they installed a 10th aniversary 1988 Turbo II engine in there. It was less power but it was cheaper so he went with it. This was in Cali and nobody said anything about it. I never even thought it was illegal until I got to this forum.

Maybe since it was the same body style and all it was ok, I don't know. All I know is it was an older engine.
Old 08-29-2002
RE
Registered!!

RE is an unknown quantity at this point
Aren't the engine components in the 88 13BT and the 89's pretty much identical? Did he swap all the components including the fuel and emissions or was he able to bolt on the 89 peripherals on to the 88 engine.

Quick Reply: I want Proof!