General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

swapping a k20 is easier now?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civichx81 is an unknown quantity at this point
swapping a k20 is easier now?

i was reading in the latest honda tuning mag and they said that all we need to do is use the rsx subframe and stuff. does that mean no custom motor mounts needed?maybe htown's civic had to get the rsx subframe too? i dunno...
Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
well i got a question about this topic i have been wanting to ask...
how much money would i be looking at if i did a swap for my 2k1coupe?
Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

about 10,000 bucks or more i think.
Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

SOHCScreamer is an unknown quantity at this point
10 friggin grand?? why not just buy an RSX-S. i think that is one stupid swap.

i'd rather wait to see if the b-series is a possibility.
Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

LikeWEEEEEEEEEE is an unknown quantity at this point
id love to be running a crv-tec
Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
[hr]Originally posted by: civichx81
about 10,000 bucks or more i think.[hr]
uhhh i dont think so, if i wanted that engine bad enough i would trade in my car. rofl
Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

well think about it, the k20a2 costs 8000 bux and up. plus getting that installed......
Old 08-27-2002
00 Hatchback Owner

Gryphin is an unknown quantity at this point
engine swaping is usally done to KEEP the car you have but improve the power, so htown got the best of both worlds
Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

well i dont know but it just seems alittle high on price but thanks! i pmed ak about it
Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

silverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of light
That's why you find a totaled RSX-s and take the engine.
Old 08-27-2002
ak
Retired Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

ak can only hope to improve
i was reading in the latest honda tuning mag and they said that all we need to do is use the rsx subframe and stuff. does that mean no custom motor mounts needed?maybe htown's civic had to get the rsx subframe too? i dunno...[hr]
I was there, import builders said that it would've been A LOT easier if they used the RSX subframe. However, after calling 25+ junkyards looking for an RSX subframe or car... they gave up on it... no one had it. Htown had custom motor mounts, that's one of the reason why it took a long time to get the swap done.

edit:
I think htown got the K20a2 for $6000 from ebay
$2000 worth of parts from the dealer
and the remaining $2000 went to other aftermarket parts and labor.
Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

about 10,000 bucks or more i think.[hr]
well he was right!!! heres what ak told me it would cost

ak
Diamond Member Date Posted: Tuesday August 27, 2002 7:29:33 PM

"do you know how much it cost to get the k20 swap for htown?? i am fixin to do this to mine, the second 2k1!!!! "

yeah, estimate was around $10k... including the engine, parts, labor...etc.

Old 08-27-2002
The Fallen Angel . . .

Vizyun is an unknown quantity at this point
If I'm not mistaken, the B-series swap has already been proven possible. I'm considering the B18C5 over the k20A . . .
Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

would it be more inexpensive to get a bseries and drop it in our civics?
Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
I couldn't really see any reason to justify a swap. I don't know, maybe if you love your car to death or something. Otherwise, it's just cheaper to buy the engine wrapped in the car it was put in at the factory.

For 6-8 grand, I could be sitting in an rsx-s. I'd have a nicer car and a ba engine.
Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Mbow
I couldn't really see any reason to justify a swap. I don't know, maybe if you love your car to death or something. Otherwise, it's just cheaper to buy the engine wrapped in the car it was put in at the factory.

For 6-8 grand, I could be sitting in an rsx-s. I'd have a nicer car and a ba engine.[hr]
AGREED!!! i think i will trade cars now hehe!!
Old 08-27-2002
Its a celebration bitches!

HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
just make sure that the engine is made the same year as your car or it is illegal
Old 08-27-2002
HISPAnIC CAUSIn PAnIC

sadboy916 is an unknown quantity at this point
even h22 is possible with money
Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

htowncivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
would it be more inexpensive to get a bseries and drop it in our civics?[hr]
A B18C1 or B18C5 will run you about $5-6k, more or less the same price as a used K20A2. Plus it will probably have a whole lot more mileage and wear than a RSX-S motor. You would still have to make subframe modifications to get the thing to fit, but according to IB you should be able to use the existing motor mounts.

The B-series motor is also physically larger than the D17A2 or K20A2, so you'll be looking at a VERY cramped engine bay. Not sure if there's room for a decent sized turbo in that setup.
Old 08-27-2002
Registered!!

i was reading in the latest honda tuning mag and they said that all we need to do is use the rsx subframe and stuff. does that mean no custom motor mounts needed?maybe htown's civic had to get the rsx subframe too? i dunno...[hr]
You're going to have to use different motor mounts for sure, your stock mounts will not fit a K20A2. This means making your own mounts, or waiting for HASport's kit to be released.
Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

Just to set the record straight - I keep seeing people throw around the number $10k like it's written in stone or something. Keep in mind that we were forced to buy several brand new Honda OEM parts (radiator, axle, crossmember, etc.) which cost A LOT. The axle alone set us back $600. Someone with access to used RSX parts should be able to do this swap for considerably cheaper.

Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

NBPCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: htowncivicEX
A B18C1 or B18C5 will run you about $5-6k, more or less the same price as a used K20A2. Plus it will probably have a whole lot more mileage and wear than a RSX-S motor. You would still have to make subframe modifications to get the thing to fit, but according to IB you should be able to use the existing motor mounts.

The B-series motor is also physically larger than the D17A2 or K20A2, so you'll be looking at a VERY cramped engine bay. Not sure if there's room for a decent sized turbo in that setup.[hr]
Uhh....the B18C1 is 3300 plus shipping and the B18C5 is 4800 plus shipping at hondamotorsonline.com Not sure where you got your price quotes. I am only pointing this out due to the fact that it makes the B series swap much more appealing.
Old 08-28-2002
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
[hr]Originally posted by: HondaLuver
just make sure that the engine is made the same year as your car or it is illegal[hr]
I thought it was same year or more recent.

IronFist
Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

The prices at Hondamotorsonline.com seem really really low. I would check up on the mileage of these motors, because I have yet to see a B18C1 with less than 50,000 miles on it go for less than $4500 to $5k. A low mileage B18C5 is virtually always in the $5-6k range.
Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRiceBoi is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: NBPCivic

The B-series motor is also physically larger than the D17A2 or K20A2, so you'll be looking at a VERY cramped engine bay. Not sure if there's room for a decent sized turbo in that setup.[hr]
Uhh....the B18C1 is 3300 plus shipping and the B18C5 is 4800 plus shipping at hondamotorsonline.com Not sure where you got your price quotes. I am only pointing this out due to the fact that it makes the B series swap much more appealing.[hr]
Also at this point there is a slew of Japanese and American aftermarket perfomance parts for the B18 series motor, while the market is still much or less barren for the K20 engines, maybe ina few years it'll catch up to the B engine, so for now it is much easier to get ponies out fo a B series motor, I did a virtual tune for the civic, to make it a hardcore racing machine with full engine upgrades, suspension, transmission, turbo, etc and it ended up being baout 34,000 with labor, thats quite a big chunk of change, but I'm sure for just a swap of the stock B18C motor and tranny would be close to 9-10k with labor and parts.
Old 08-28-2002
BAD MON

Booohahaha is an unknown quantity at this point
You're going to have to use different motor mounts for sure, your stock mounts will not fit a K20A2. This means making your own mounts, or waiting for HASport's kit to be released.[hr]
heh..im waiting for hasport mounts ... wonder how much they will run!!
Old 08-28-2002
Eee Tee Too (Ess DoubleU)

Strebor is an unknown quantity at this point
How about a C32B swap?

Haha, I'm so funny.
Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: WhiteRiceBoi
[hr]Originally posted by: NBPCivic

Uhh....the B18C1 is 3300 plus shipping and the B18C5 is 4800 plus shipping at hondamotorsonline.com Not sure where you got your price quotes. I am only pointing this out due to the fact that it makes the B series swap much more appealing.[hr]
Also at this point there is a slew of Japanese and American aftermarket perfomance parts for the B18 series motor, while the market is still much or less barren for the K20 engines, maybe ina few years it'll catch up to the B engine, so for now it is much easier to get ponies out fo a B series motor, I did a virtual tune for the civic, to make it a hardcore racing machine with full engine upgrades, suspension, transmission, turbo, etc and it ended up being baout 34,000 with labor, thats quite a big chunk of change, but I'm sure for just a swap of the stock B18C motor and tranny would be close to 9-10k with labor and parts.[hr]
Most of the K-series aftermarket right now is basically bolt-ons. However - TODA, Mugen, STR, Spoon, et al are coming out with a whole suite of N/A performance engine parts (cams, cam gears, high compression pistons, headers, etc.) for the K20A2 next year. HKS, Fmax, GReddy, Drag, and Revhard all have prototype turbochargers for the K20A2 in the works.

The K-series motor is the future. It will be everything the legendary B-series motor was, and much more.
Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

NBPCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
The prices at Hondamotorsonline.com seem really really low. I would check up on the mileage of these motors, because I have yet to see a B18C1 with less than 50,000 miles on it go for less than $4500 to $5k. A low mileage B18C5 is virtually always in the $5-6k range.[hr]
The B18C1's have less than 35K
and the B18C5's have around 17K
That is what they told me in email.
I have also read many quality reviews of that store and the product they sell both online and through people I know.

If anyone is looking for a swap that is the place to go.

I agree that the K series is the future but by the time it catches up to the support for the B series, my Civic will be long gone.
Old 08-29-2002
Registered!!

briang is an unknown quantity at this point
The Hasport kit will run around $650 and contain 3 mounts and two brackets. Here is a list of the other parts you will need. This parts list is preliminary and is most likely incomplete. It will give you a rough idea of what will be needed for the swap.
RSX ECU, tranny and engine with engine accessories and wiring harness
02 Civic Si axles (unless you plan on using RSX hubs)
RSX subframe
RSX lower control arms
RSX shifter and cables
RSX throttle cable
RSX heater hoses
RSX radiator with fans and hoses
If you want P/S, you will need the return lines, cooler and resevoir from the RSX the high pressure line will have to be made.
If you want AC, some of the lines will have to be made.

There will be another more complete list on our web site once the swap mounts are ready for sale.

brian g

Quick Reply: swapping a k20 is easier now?