General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

1st 7th Gen. Civic to have a Succesful RSX Type-S Engine Swap (K20A2)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicSouldjaEX will become famous soon enoughCivicSouldjaEX will become famous soon enough
I want my B20, s#######iiiiieettt!!! I won't foget that night, I went back to work that night and was all excited, until today of course cuz I got laid off, [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]
Old 08-06-2002
Premium Member

CivicSouldjaEX will become famous soon enoughCivicSouldjaEX will become famous soon enough
Chacho - SSM 2002 Civic EX - Elite Crew member
Old 08-06-2002
Registered!!

silver02civic is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: htowncivicEX
[hr]Originally posted by: silver02civic
Hey Aaron how you like that i-vtec...... haa haaaa I told you it would sound like a boom and then wOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH]
Just remembering my type-s. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] be careful with the down shifting if you don’t pay attention you’ll hit 2nd instead of 4 Th. there isnt to many people that it has happend to, But it happend to my friend he wasnt paying attention he tryed to down shift from 5-4 and missed and hit 2 nd and BOOM (dont ask how I think he's a retard)
Just a heads up..... Now you’re going to have to join CLUBRSX.COM
Hope to see you and that Civic some time soon.
Hey and about that air intake I'll get you my friends email address As soon as I find it.[hr]
Hey what's up? Yeah if you could give me the name of your friend's e-mail address, I would appreciate it. I'm thinking I could probably convert your friend's AEM short ram intake into a cold air by making my own custom extension. Sorry I couldn't hang around and discuss things more with your friend and her b/f. Things were really hectic on Friday night and I just had to take off for Houston ASAP. I even left my digital camera and a bunch of car manuals over at IB, which they are going to ship over to Houston sometime.

I've already got an account on Club RSX (same userid - htowncivicEX). I haven't posted that much except on the recent Hondata thread. I try to keep up on most of the threads though, but lately I haven't visited the site that much. I should probably poke my head in the South forum, as I hear there's tons of Club RSX guys in the Houston area. I've already met Jeremy Kimble (or whatever his username is) at the racetrack near Austin - he's the black Type S that broke 13's (13.8 I think) with nitrous... very impressive.[hr]
NO prob. I'll get that email at the end of the day PM me your email
congrats on the swap.....
Old 08-06-2002

WD40 is an unknown quantity at this point
#3: (Aaron on the 91W freeway)

"I think he's trying to take a picture. I sure hope he knows what he's doing."

This was when WD40 was riding in his Civic alongside us, window down, and leaning over trying to take a picture of us while we were both still driving on the freeway! I was worried he was going to wreck or something, but he ended up getting the picture off (I saw the big flash) and all was good.[hr]
Yeah, I've taken pics while moving before. I basically just have to make sure I have a good buffer zone around me incase I stray a little bit. I was more worried about blinding you with the flash, which was why I was trying to stay a little bit behind you.

So yeah notice in those videos that I was careful not to take the car over 80 mph on the freeway. I also had to be careful with WD40 riding alongside us, because if a cop even thinks we were racing each other on the freeway, then I could get a ticket for that as well. [hr]
Hmm, I hadn't even thought of that. Since we weren't speeding excessively I guess the thought just didn't cross my mind. Sorry if I was freakin' you out at all.
Old 08-06-2002
ak
Retired Mod

ak can only hope to improve
[hr]Originally posted by: CivicSouldjaEX
I want my B20, s#######iiiiieettt!!! I won't foget that night, I went back to work that night and was all excited, until today of course cuz I got laid off, [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG][hr]
that sucks man. maybe a better job awaits you. About 81,000 people got laid off on July '02...

Htown- Dang,, you are insane! I can barely drive 2 hours straight and not fall asleep! I'm glad you made it back in one piece. Not much to say... keep us updated on your mods!

Alex - SSM 2002 Civic LX - Elite Crew member
Old 08-06-2002
Registered!!

Mokushi is an unknown quantity at this point
I would have searched but DAMN, too many posts to go through...!
Anyways, I was wondering what the final bill was from IB (excluding the engine of course).
Also, what works and doesn't work correctly, if anything (ie, AC, gauges, etc)...
Just curious, and congrats..!
Old 08-07-2002
Registered!!

TOOLOWCIVIC is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Htown, so whats up for Friday or Saturday? You going to the track in Baytown or going to Westheimer this week. Let me know I want to see your car run.
Old 08-07-2002
Registered!!

mykel115 is an unknown quantity at this point
Way to go Htown your 2k1 is the bomb
Old 08-07-2002
Registered!!

papi2001civic is an unknown quantity at this point
htown good luck with your care and let us know what happenes with the power steering and the a/c ...couse if u can get it to work then i'm gonna do the swap soon...and i would love to use the shop you used
Old 08-07-2002
Registered!!

htowncivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: TOOLOWCIVIC
Hey Htown, so whats up for Friday or Saturday? You going to the track in Baytown or going to Westheimer this week. Let me know I want to see your car run.[hr]
Probably not for a few weekends. I have a lot of stuff to take care of in my personal and work life at the moment. Not to mention I still would like to get a better flowing catalytic converter before I take it out to the track. We'll get a bunch of the Houston guys together to go to Baytown before long, though.
Old 08-08-2002
Registered!!

hose2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
if i missed it , what was the damage in your pocket for this swap ?? did you like the out come??(htown)
Old 08-08-2002
Registered!!

SuperCivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
isnt swapping a B series illigal in a newer car?? anyway congrats to htown..i wasnt at the little meet though cuz of work!
Old 08-09-2002
Registered!!

NeoMagus is an unknown quantity at this point
not if you can find an 01 GSR B18C1 or 01 Type R B18C5
Old 08-09-2002
Premium Member

CivicHX01 is an unknown quantity at this point
and isn't the 01 cr-v still a b20?
Old 08-09-2002
Registered!!

JMan50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Man I wish I had 10G to do something like that. I have a question? Why not a S2000 motor? Will it not mount as good as this one?
Old 08-09-2002
The Fallen Angel . . .

Vizyun is an unknown quantity at this point
Um . . . well, the S2000 is RWD, so it won't work in the civic. Welcome to the site, Newbie!
Old 08-09-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: JMan50
Man I wish I had 10G to do something like that. I have a question? Why not a S2000 motor? Will it not mount as good as this one?[hr]
the s2k motor dosnt fit in nething but an s2k...
Old 08-09-2002
Registered!!

R3DF0G is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: CivicHX01
and isn't the 01 cr-v still a b20?[hr]
Good call, but the block is slighty bigger than the other B engines, so I doubt it would fit..........now that I've said that, I bet someone proves me wrong.
Old 08-09-2002
The Fallen Angel . . .

Vizyun is an unknown quantity at this point
I actually think someone at IB told a member that it would be possible . . . notice I said "think". I wasn't there, so I'm not certain, but someone mentioned the possibility. If it would work, it would be IDEAL so to speak, to put in a frankenstein swap (b20 with 2001 ITR head). THAT sounds promising. Anyone know for sure if it's possible to mate the two, let alone swap it?
Old 08-09-2002
Registered!!

ChiFroBoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually speaking of the RWD... theres been d block FR integra made for a student project at the honda tech institute.... Cept i dunno if this is possible for the em2 platform.. who knows..
Old 08-09-2002
Registered!!

I didn't even think about the RWD vs. FWD. Oh well, that is what I get for being new. I won't even get into the question of how or why you would TRY to change from a FWD to a RWD. I bet something basic; I am just not that good with all the tech stuff...yet
Old 08-10-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: hose2k1
if i missed it , what was the damage in your pocket for this swap ?? did you like the out come??(htown)[hr]
Parts came out to almost $2k, mainly because we got jacked by Honda America for the OEM crossmember, OEM Type S axle, and OEM RSX radiator + hoses. We would have taken the old Type S axle from the original car, but it was damaged in the rollover crash. Also, if we could have found a junkyard that had a wrecked RSX, we could have taken parts from the wreck and saved lots of money. But Trever called up about 20 junkyards and came up empty.

I definitely like the outcome - there are few bugs to work out, however. For example - one of the O2 sensors is not connected correctly, which means I have been running at less than peak power this entire time. I discovered this at work yesterday when I hooked up an OBD scanner to my car and it gave me 2 codes that indicated that it was unable to meter the air/fuel mixture correctly. We took a peek around the engine bay and discovered that one of the O2 sensors isn't connected correctly. I need to get IB to send the RSX Type S electrical troubleshooting manual back to me so I can get the O2 sensor hooked up right.

Also, since I am running a custom downpipe from the header to the cat, it's impossible to use the stock Honda spring bolts that you would normally use. Yesterday right after I left work, one of the two non-spring bolts that IB used to connect the custom downpipe to the cat broke off, which meant that the downpipe was only half connected to the header. If you are following this, then you probably know what this means - open headers! LOL yeah it is the equivalent of having no exhaust at all! My car was SO FREAKING LOUD all the way to and from class, that I absolutely dreaded hitting a stoplight. Because that meant I would have to accelerate from a standstill and hear that AWFUL metallic sound. Add in the fact that I was running 'two 65' (remember my A/C is still not working correctly), and that I was getting absolutely NO POWER under 5000 RPMs, well then you have a very funny situation.

Picture this - a car that sounds like all hell has broken loose under the hood, yet it has absolutely no horsepower or torque so Corollas and Echos were outrunning me [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]. Actually I can laugh about it now, but it was pretty bad driving my car around with the downpipe loose.

Anyways, I fixed the problem early in the morning at work today. One of the other mechanics lended me some bolt adhesive (I forgot what it was called) that would prevent the above situation from happening again.

Old 08-10-2002
Registered!!

Htown I have a newbie charity fund would you like to contribute some money to it??? I just wish I had the cash for something like this!!!!
Old 08-10-2002
Premium Member

[hr]Originally posted by: Vizyun
I actually think someone at IB told a member that it would be possible . . . notice I said "think". I wasn't there, so I'm not certain, but someone mentioned the possibility. If it would work, it would be IDEAL so to speak, to put in a frankenstein swap (b20 with 2001 ITR head). THAT sounds promising. Anyone know for sure if it's possible to mate the two, let alone swap it?[hr]
i thought frankensteiners only work if they are the same series block and head (like B series block would fit a B series head or a D series block fitting a D series head, i heard of a delsol having a B18 block with a B16 head for low end hp and torque but didn't actually see it) and isn't the 2001 ITR a K series engine?
Old 08-10-2002
Premium Member

[hr]Originally posted by: ChiFroBoy
Actually speaking of the RWD... theres been d block FR integra made for a student project at the honda tech institute.... Cept i dunno if this is possible for the em2 platform.. who knows..[hr]
yea i read and saw pictures of that in a magazine, super street i think... the engine sat in the back and it looked crazy...
the honda mechanic students in japan learn a lot of stuff... in school they did that hahaha....[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 08-10-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: CivicHX01
[hr]Originally posted by: Vizyun
I actually think someone at IB told a member that it would be possible . . . notice I said "think". I wasn't there, so I'm not certain, but someone mentioned the possibility. If it would work, it would be IDEAL so to speak, to put in a frankenstein swap (b20 with 2001 ITR head). THAT sounds promising. Anyone know for sure if it's possible to mate the two, let alone swap it?[hr]
i thought frankensteiners only work if they are the same series block and head (like B series block would fit a B series head or a D series block fitting a D series head, i heard of a delsol having a B18 block with a B16 head for low end hp and torque but didn't actually see it) and isn't the 2001 ITR a K series engine?[hr]
All DC2 ITRs (up to 2001) are B-series engines (B18C5). So yeah theoretically you can put a 01 TypeR head on a B20 block. Although for these frankenstein motors they usually use B16 heads on B20 shortblocks.
Old 08-10-2002
Initial D!!!!

nightkids1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Man you should have him send his car to super street or something, It deserves to be in a mag.

Well since the K20 has been done in a new civic, know we need someone with a K20A3 since it may cost less amd all
Old 08-11-2002
Registered!!

Its called buy a new Civic Si. Swapping the K20A3 is a waste of money...it will cost just as much in labor as swapping an A2, and you get less hp, lower redline, and intake only VTEC.
Old 08-14-2002
Registered!!

EuroCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
i envy you!!!!
Old 08-19-2002
Registered!!

Zenogias is an unknown quantity at this point
well, in this month's popular science, they had an article about the integra and civic engine swaps, and ended with a comment about the rsx engine in the new civics and they wonder how long before it would be before it will be done. i just sent them an email about the site and a link to this thread. maybe 7thgen is gonna get more notice![IMG]i/expressions/demon.gif[/IMG]

Quick Reply: 1st 7th Gen. Civic to have a Succesful RSX Type-S Engine Swap (K20A2)