General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

bad oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STang57 is an unknown quantity at this point
bad oil change

yesterday was the 2nd time changing the oil on my 2k1. the 1st time was done courtesy of HONDA. so anyways, i brought it over to my friends house to do it, so we could mess with the exhaust on his 2k1. i bought a couple of HONDA oil filters from the dealer and used CHEVRON 20w 50. we did everything correctly and made sure everything was on tight. i took it around a couple blocks and went back to his house. didnt really high rev it but brought it up probably around 4k. before i pulled into the parking space he yelled out that it was leaking oil. then i noticed the car was making loud clicking noises, as if it was struggling or choking. i also notice a lil steam or smoke from the engine. i walked along the trail of oil and realized the oil leak started 2 blocks down. my friend busted out the hose and started hosing down the whole engine to spray off the oil (not a good idea huh?). my friend claimed that they sold me a bad filter, but he doesnt know that much about cars. so we ended up doin tha oil change again. used another oil filter from HONDA and used 10w 30 this time. but when we popped the hood to pour in the oil he noticed that 1 of the belts came off. it looked like plastic or some sort of cover for a belt (right side of engine, just below the cam), but it was kinda "chewed up." now i smell burnt oil after i drive. is it still coming from the engine or is it just the hot engine burning the oil left uncleaned at the bottom of my car from the leak?i called HONDA to inspect the problem along with some other annoying noise and vibration in the back of my car when i accel from a dead stop. they scheduled me an appt on WED along with my 10k mile checkup. hopefully they figure and fix everything back under warranty since i dont have any aftermarkets at all, just cleared headlights. i hope they can fix everything wrong and not tell me alot of bull. if not, what is the procedure or accussing them of selling me a lemon if problems still come up? please share any similar experiences, thoughts, or answers. thanks
Old 07-31-2002
Registered!!

TEKNIQ is an unknown quantity at this point
That sucks man......Why were you using 20-50 oil?????......Our cars use 5-20......
Old 07-31-2002
Proud Protaganistic Propagandist

MisterTinkerTrain should not be trustedMisterTinkerTrain should not be trustedMisterTinkerTrain should not be trustedMisterTinkerTrain should not be trustedMisterTinkerTrain should not be trusted
There is a small problem with filters leaking on our cars. My uncle is a honda mechanic and he says half the ones he does leak a bit and he just puts a different filter on and everything is ok.
Old 07-31-2002
Turbos, Engines, Chassis and Suspension Tech

4drcivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah...you might of messed up your warranty by using 20w50 oil...ive heard that you do from some people and dont from others...so i dont know.
Old 07-31-2002
Registered!!

Wanger is an unknown quantity at this point
20-50?... damn! i dunno man should've known better, the problem might have escalated cause of the oil you used.
Old 07-31-2002
Registered!!

Neonmike is an unknown quantity at this point
The honda filter didn't happen to say "made in canada" anywhere on it, did it?
Old 07-31-2002
Registered!!

PoopyRay is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like the purchaser (you) of the vehicle, is the lemon. Dont blame Honda for your car problems.
Old 07-31-2002
Banned

CiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond repute
[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-31-2002
Banned

CiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond repute
[hr]Originally posted by: CiViCPrAnInG2k1
[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][hr]

dude i wasnt laughing at you i was laughing at the "made in canada" comment. im not coldhearted dude, i know how messed up u feel
Old 07-31-2002
Support your local 81

bhaz413 is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: MisterTinkerTrain
There is a small problem with filters leaking on our cars. My uncle is a honda mechanic and he says half the ones he does leak a bit and he just puts a different filter on and everything is ok.[hr]
you have to make sure before you put the new filter on to coat the seal with oil. Just dip your finger in the oil and wipe the seal.
Old 07-31-2002
Registered!!

SlvrEX5spd is an unknown quantity at this point
OMG....did you seriously mean 20w50???? i hope you didnt put that in there, its way to thick so the engine would prolly have a tough time rotating and u could possibly blow out, crankshaft seal, camshaft seal, ect.... the only other thing i know to tell u is that when u take the old filter off make sure the rubber seal is still seated on the filter and not stuck on the block where u took it off. before u put the new filter on stick ur finger in the oil and wipe it on the seal of the new filter, that ensures a good seal and then crank it down by hand as hard as you can or use a tool if you have one. GL bro....peace
Old 07-31-2002
Registered!!

SlvrEX5spd is an unknown quantity at this point
half of the filters he puts on leak sometimes???? WTF....no filter should ever leak if installed properly. i never ever had one leak in over a yr when i did oil changes. weird $hit.......
Old 07-31-2002
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
I wouldn't use 20w-50, but it shouldn't hurt anything except your milage, but if you keep using it it might cause some problems over time, probably to the oil pump, but it won't blow your gaskets.
Old 07-31-2002
Registered!!

FamilyMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Okeey dokeey then...
Old 07-31-2002
Registered!!

zero is an unknown quantity at this point
Like everyone said, you must of folked it due to the oil you used. Lie like a biach and say that you never changed the oil cuz they will not warrent you cuz you folked it up.
Old 07-31-2002
Registered!!

Brandon is an unknown quantity at this point
The only time I've heard of filters leaking is when someone re-uses the old metal washer that goes on with the filter. Did you use a new washer?
Old 07-31-2002
Registered!!

IDQcivic should not be trusted
The washer goes on the oil drain bolt. The filter has a build in rubber gasket. i reuse my washer and never had a problem..
Old 07-31-2002
Registered!!

nrrhgreg is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: STang57they scheduled me an appt on WED along with my 10k mile checkup. hopefully they figure and fix everything back under warranty since i dont have any aftermarkets at all, just cleared headlights. i hope they can fix everything wrong and not tell me alot of bull. if not, what is the procedure or accussing them of selling me a lemon if problems still come up? please share any similar experiences, thoughts, or answers. thanks[hr]
Since when does warranty's cover owner screwups? Warranty covers MANUFACTUER defects. They'll get you on the 20w-50 oil, which was really not bright, and for probably screwing up somewhere during the oil change. And it's not a lemon if you cause it to become one.
Old 07-31-2002
OyD
Registered!!

OyD is an unknown quantity at this point
did i read 20w50? WOW
Old 08-01-2002
Registered!!

this was my first time doing an actual hands on oil change. my friend who owns a 2k1 EX and runs on 20w50. hes never had any problems with it so i figured it was okay. also YES we did use a new washer and lube the seal with oil. i took it to the dealer today for the 10k checkup and told them i changed my oil 2 days ago, so they told me i can hold back on my free oil change from them til next time. i guess i'll have to learn from my mistakes and this is a real big one that i scrubbed on. ouch, it really hurts me inside!!!
Old 08-01-2002
Registered!!

goes to show you that being a "member" or higher on this forum means nothing. i feel like my knowledge of cars is useless. i know quite a bit about performance and aftermarket stuff, but not too good in maintenance or care. i wanna cry!!! hurts me even to sit in the car and drive it everyday.
Old 08-01-2002
Registered!!

TEKNIQ is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: STang57
goes to show you that being a "member" or higher on this forum means nothing. i feel like my knowledge of cars is useless. i know quite a bit about performance and aftermarket stuff, but not too good in maintenance or care. i wanna cry!!! hurts me even to sit in the car and drive it everyday.[hr]

I always said we should bring the Jr. Member status back and put it between the Newb & Member ranking.........Just start reading through all forums about everything instead of just performance topics that interest you.......You'll definately know better next time......

One Question.....Did you know our cars used 5-20 oil or did you just put what your buddy had left in his garage???? I mean it says on the oil cap which oil to use....
Old 08-01-2002
Registered!!

FamilyMan is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: TEKNIQ

it says on the oil cap....[hr]
I see you got your all caps.
Old 08-01-2002
Registered!!

ZRPM is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm surprised the dealership is warrantying it at all. Must be a good one. I do oil changes all the time. 20-50 seems a bit excessive.

You didn't by any chance overfill the oil did you?
Old 08-02-2002
Registered!!

i know we use 5w20...but somehow i believed him when he said thickness it better when goin high speeds. hes been using 20w50 for a while and nothing seems wrong with his car.

ZRPM,
we used 4 bottles
Old 08-02-2002
Registered!!

kenji4861 is an unknown quantity at this point
damn.. scary.. I'll make sure to have my dealership do it when the time comes.
Old 08-02-2002
RON
Registered!!

RON is an unknown quantity at this point
DUDE! get that 20w50 oil out of your car (now) It can do nothing but harm. also tell the dealer what happened and have them check the car out for other mistakes.......and them you can relax and say you learned the hard way..but at least your ride is ok.......
Old 08-02-2002
Registered!!

zero is an unknown quantity at this point
this was my first time doing an actual hands on oil change. my friend who owns a 2k1 EX and runs on 20w50. hes never had any problems with it so i figured it was okay. also YES we did use a new washer and lube the seal with oil. i took it to the dealer today for the 10k checkup and told them i changed my oil 2 days ago, so they told me i can hold back on my free oil change from them til next time. i guess i'll have to learn from my mistakes and this is a real big one that i scrubbed on. ouch, it really hurts me inside!!![hr]
Sorry to say but your friend is a dumb @ss if he uses 20w50. If he jumped off a bridge I hope you don't follow. There is a thing call read the manual...... If you don't want to use 5w20 then maybe 5w30 should probably be the thickest you should ever use on a civic. Newer cars are designed to use thinner oil.
Old 08-02-2002
Registered!!

silverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of light
i know we use 5w20...but somehow i believed him when he said thickness it better when goin high speeds. hes been using 20w50 for a while and nothing seems wrong with his car.

ZRPM,
we used 4 bottles[hr]
I'll clear something up for everyone...again.

As far as engine oil goes, the thicker it is the more heat it will draw away from your moving parts. This said, it is thicker so it also causes the pistons to move slower and hurts your gas mileage. The thinner the oil the easier it is to move the piston up and down but, too thin and you don't protect against thermal wear and you might even cause excess friction. Putting 20w50 in your car won't hurt it. But it's not better for going high speeds either. The viscosity of the oil will actually make your engine perform worse at high RPMs because it's not tuned for oil that thick.

I also don't recommend ppl to use the 5w20 that Honda recommends. They have to recommend the oil they use in their efficiency tests. Since lower wait oil allows for higher gas mileage they used it. However, I don't think a top weight of 20 will really help your engine in the long run. It will actually hurt it. I use 5w30 in my car. That is what I recommend to anyone.

And, if your car was leaking oil, you did something wrong. Maybe the filter's seal was still there, of maybe there was some foreign object on the new seal. But you wouldn't have oil on the top or sides of your engine, only on the bottom, since that's where the filter is.
Old 08-04-2002
RON
Registered!!

RON is an unknown quantity at this point
I think I will use 5w20 since that,s what honda says to use...5w30 or heavier oil maybe ok but I will listen to honda since they build the car and are people that warrent,s it for 7 years or 100k miles.......(honda care)

Quick Reply: bad oil change