General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Chirping sound when shifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zetaR is an unknown quantity at this point
Chirping sound when shifting

I have recently noticed a chirping sound when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. It doesn't seem to do it if I shift at lower rpms. It seems to be noticeable if I shift at more than 4000 rpms, and I have only noticed it from 2nd to 3rd. Does anyone know what might be causing this? I got a DC short shift adaptor a couple of weeks ago. Would that make a difference? Anyone else come across something like this?
Old 07-17-2002
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
it might be your tires skweeking if you are reving hard and switching gears quickly. if you ever go to the races you will hear the tires chirp when changing gears. Try a different approach when changing between thos gears.
Old 07-17-2002
Registered!!

No, I'm pretty sure that's not it. It makes the sound when I actually move the shifter from 2nd to 3rd while the clutch is still pushed in.
Old 07-17-2002
Registered!!

SilverBUll8 is an unknown quantity at this point
I do it all the time from 1st to 2nd thats the sound it makes when you have so much hp that your wheels cant grip the ground or in our case your tires are getting bad so when you shift it cant grip enough if you were to get new tires i belive it wouldnt happen.
Old 07-17-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: SilverBUll8
I do it all the time from 1st to 2nd thats the sound it makes when you have so much hp that your wheels cant grip the ground or in our case your tires are getting bad so when you shift it cant grip enough if you were to get new tires i belive it wouldnt happen.[hr]
My tires are practically brand new. They only have 2000 miles on them. It's not the tires. I haven't changed my driving habits at all. I have had this car for almost a year, and it just started doing this recently.
Old 07-17-2002
Registered!!

AEMcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Can you tell where the noise is coming from? Is it comin from the outside of the car? The engine compartment? Or maybe the shift linkage assembly?[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-17-2002
Registered!!

Rallye is an unknown quantity at this point
this also happens to me, 01 dx with 10,500. Its not the tires, it seems to happen with the air on, only higher revs. just like what you said. I sorta sounds like a belt on say a riding lawn mower....

mg
Old 07-17-2002
Registered!!

[QUOTE]Quote
[hr]Originally posted by: Rallye
this also happens to me, 01 dx with 10,500. Its not the tires, it seems to happen with the air on, only higher revs. just like what you said. I sorta sounds like a belt on say a riding lawn mower....

Yeah, It does happen with the a/c on, and I have about 12,500 miles on my car. I can't really tell where the noise is coming from. It sounds acoustic, like it could be coming from the engine compartment or maybe outside.
Not sure.

Old 07-17-2002
Registered!!

hondadude is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll be chirping gears while you hang your head out the window picking up chicky dogs
Old 07-17-2002
Registered!!

FamilyMan is an unknown quantity at this point
It sounds like the belt on your crank and A/C and alt is slipping a bit when you go to put the gas back on after shifting. Try tightening up the belt by adjusting the position of your A/C. Sounds like it needs to be tighter. Take it to honda and let them have a listen too. They could probably hear it a lot better than I can over the internet.
Old 07-17-2002
Registered!!

pleasejoe is an unknown quantity at this point
sounds liek a racin' term here in cali, probably u let go of clutch too fast,chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirp