General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

*REVISED* more opinions needed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the rough
Need Opinion on car purchase

hey guys.
my bro is car shopping. and i already own a 2001 civic lx. kinda wish it was a stick but o well. anyways. my dad was looking at the new 2003 corollas.
my dad wants to buy either a corolla or civic. so which one is a better buy. i know that most of u guys are just going to say civic cause u own one. but i own one too. if not corolla or civic, another car? please keep in same price range.
thanks guys
Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

R3DF0G is an unknown quantity at this point
It really depends on what you're looking for.......overall, I would say the Corolla is the better value, but not by much.
Old 07-02-2002
Premium Member & 1 Millionth Poster!

THEANTIRICEST has disabled reputation
i actually test drove a corolla type s and wasnt impressed.
Here's why:

1) turning radius sucks
2) cheap looking interior
3) not as many aftermarket products
4) civic has better resale value
Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
hm... IMO the 2002 corollas (old style) were much better. they handled excellent, had good power, and aren't all "mushy" like the 03's. they also aren't like 10 feet off the ground.
Old 07-02-2002
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
my cousin just got corrolla type s.. and he doesnt like it at all. i drove it.. no good .
sits WAY too high . go with civic .

civic owns corrolla
Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

n00dleboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Something in the same price range - try test driving the Protege 5.

130 Horses and 135 Torque @ 4000 rpms. Has a good kick and looks are nice. Roomy, sporty.. and not to mention, blows ANY stock car in it's price range for handling. You WILL be surprised.

Options are as follows:
1) a/c
2) auto/5speed
3) moon roof.

Everything else - included : 4 Wheel Disc brakes, ABS, Dual Airbags, Power Windows/lock, Remote Keyless Entry, 16" Alloys.
Plenty of Aftermarket support. Bolt-on Turbo Kits are available.

Other than that, Civic is a nice car too.

Attachments:
[IMG]/forums/themes/orbitz/paperclip.gif[/IMG] protege1.jpg (50 Kb)
[IMG]/forums/themes/orbitz/paperclip.gif[/IMG] protege4.jpg (41 Kb)
[IMG]/forums/themes/orbitz/paperclip.gif[/IMG] roger foo p5-3.jpg (28 Kb)
Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

Jochij is an unknown quantity at this point
also look at the sentra it has alright looks and isnt bad on performance. but now there are a billion and one options in the civic price range so make sure to look around and test drive many cars. its better to take time and make a good decision than to rush and make a crappy one.
Old 07-02-2002
Premium Member

snoopbag is an unknown quantity at this point
Maybe look into the celica base model, it is about the same price as a civic EX. But the base model celica doesn't have anything power but has 140hp engine and a lot of aftermarket parts available
Or possibly a Z24 cavalier, everythings power and 150hp with quite a few aftermarket parts.
Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

touwseew is an unknown quantity at this point
for overall value probably corolla...but if they are into modifying, then civic.
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

RockfordFosgateBwoy is an unknown quantity at this point
that corolla is WAY, and i mean WAY better made than the civic and its also quicker. I'd get the Corolla, LE with leather and sunroof. There will be aftermarket support for that engine, dont you worry, it blows are crappy mod-proof 1.7's outta the water!

RF Bwoy
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
Civic or Protege5.
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

Crashoveride is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah I would definitly start looking at the Protege 5, they are a nice looking car for a good price and you can do some nice stuff to them as well. Get a nice Red or Yellow one, I like the look of those colors. But then again I am a bit strange.
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

n00dleboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Get the yellow MP5.

Or, if you're lucky, you can find a used MP3.

Here's a picture of the Yellow MP5, and a blue MP3.

Old 07-03-2002
RON
Registered!!

RON is an unknown quantity at this point
Yea! my 74 year old grandma just bought a new corolla. Buy a vic they got the best resale value by far , and look 10 times better.
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

AirForce is an unknown quantity at this point
Or you could wait and get the damn fast Turbo Neon(Neons are ugly but this one is fast) I would get a Corolla fully loaded with leather and a moon roof!!! But Civics are worth more in the long run
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mattskav is an unknown quantity at this point
corolla - more power, better mpg, shorter money, and the zz will probably get more attention than the d17.
Old 07-03-2002
Premium Member

speedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the rough
hey guys.
my dad changed his mind and now he wants to give my brother my civic and get me a new car.
he said around 20k. no used cars. i was thinking a base rsx...
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

trevor is an unknown quantity at this point
ahhhhhh..........Just test drove the type-s.........
Use your credit card and pay the other 2,000 for the type-s.........
You will NOT be sorry.........
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-03-2002
Premium Member

[hr]ahhhhhh..........Just test drove the type-s.........
Use your credit card and pay the other 2,000 for the type-s.........
You will NOT be sorry.........[hr]
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG] i dont have a credit card or a job
i really wish i had a job. damn my age! and damn the people that wont hire me![IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

edit
btw ur car is pretty nice
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
the base RSX is a POS.

"RSX is a piece of s h i t[sic] with numbers to sell. Funny how a 200 hp 1996+ Firebird V6 will run over an RSX with 1000 pounds more weight."
- Jack.

if it were ME, id look into a cheapy f-body, something with a solid frame you can do REAL work off of.

otherwise, if you insist on going import, i dunno, its tough. no company is making any car with a good potential in teh aftermarket anymore. the focus is the only car that comes close. And I'd rather cut off my left ******** than drive a ford.....

and if you are sticking with honda, that really makes deciding tough, because you know EXACTLY what honda is trying to do, as far as squeezing more power out of the blocks.

but if you have a 20K cap, and wanna stick with honda, your highest performance possibility is a 2002 civic si. you can get them from tsan for 17.8 G's.

i woul dseriously look into a base model american car tho, trans am, or camaro or something. the new camaro's are actually moddable for some real power gains! (unlike the V6 rustang [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] )

so if it were ME making the decision, its a choice of what girl's car you want. do you want a girly civic si, or a girly V6 camaro? =p

good luck deciding, and whatever you do, dont fall for the latest initial D crap and get a corolla! [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
and get a stick, for gods sake [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-03-2002
Premium Member

lol.
back when the 7 gen civics came out i thought they looked hella girly. now i like how they look
the new si's look ok. but then isnt the si and base rsx pratically the same?
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

good question. i guess we should all be asking what you will be using this car for?

integra GSR can run low 14's CHEAPLY and naturally aspirated. but whats the point of that, if you never go to the track....
and a 20,000 stock american car will whup 99% of all civics out there.....(dont interpret this as a blanket statement)

same way, if you DO want to go to the track often, the 7th gen civic is a poor choice, will never have any aftermarket, not really, compared to other makes and models...

so basically its about what YOU want. if you want suggestions that will be usefull, you gotta tell us what you want out of a car. if its just a daily driver, get a 2003 hybrid civic, they get teh best mielage. if its performance, id look into an american f-body.

let us know what YOU want, and then we can tell you what we think [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-04-2002
Premium Member

ok first id never put my car on the track. i want a good looking car with semi decent gas mileage that will provide me with power when needed. the only car that i can think of would be the the rsx-s or wrx. i want to stay away from the domestics
Old 07-04-2002
Registered!!

thats a shame, cause a v6 camaro will cost less than an rsxtype S, be able to best it at teh strip, and insurance will be FAR less

insurance is so much for imports cause its really easy to steal and strip imports. i figured you were an import guy tho.... o well =/.

only hondas can really take bodykits and spoilers tho.

otherwise something like a celica, a matrix, (a shame you dont like the firebird) (a double shame you dont like the PT cruiser, that guy is getting almost as much aftermarket as the focus) imprezza (not a wrx), tiburon, accord EX, ....!!

I think i found a great car for you. 2002 Monte Carlo LS. it looks more like an import than a GM car, so you get the import look, but you get teh tech of an american motor, which is to say, you get more torque than "110 HP per liter" LOL!

205 ft/lbs torque, 3.4 liter V6, doesnt say mileage, but i would assume mid 20's. have you ever seen one in person?

serious tho, whatever you do, dont get a base RSX. It would be a shame if you got a type S too =p
Old 07-04-2002
Premium Member

whats wrong witht the rsx? ive been wanting an rsx-s ever since i seen the prototype pics of it. haha. dont know why im asking for advice when i really want and rsx but then theyre like 23k

and about domestics i really put my foot down in buying one. only because i dont like the styling and itll just look weird for an asian guy to drive a domestic. i always laugh when i see asian guys driving domestics.
Old 07-04-2002
Registered!!

yeah, i figured out a couple posts ago that you only started this thread cause you wanted someone to tell you that you SHOULD in fact get an RSX. its a shame that they are slow as hell, but you said yoruself, you are not going to teh track.

but you should know, Brian, that you are not Senthill. Do you really wanna be like that?

but if you REALLY want one, capitol honda will sell you one easily for 21,600. I know its above yoru price cap, and im sure your father wanted to pay far less, But it is almost arguable.

as far as the regular RSX, anyone on this forum cna tell you its a piece of junk, but the manual can be had for 18,700, and thats at capitol honda.

I wish you luck in making your decision, and i know that youll never understand why domestics are better than imports, i only hope that this RSX phase will die out before you can get one, just like my camaro phase died in me and my friends impala phase died in him.

best of luck in choosing a car, even tho you had made the decision before this topic was even created. but if you want all teh more reason NOT to get an RSX, talk to adrons car friends. they are the riciest people I have ever met, and they dont even drive honda. one drives a WRX and "wants to get a bigger intercooler" and the other drives a dead stock bimmer 325.

I guess you have to be driving those kind of cars in teh almaden valley tho
Old 07-04-2002
Registered!!

[hr][i]Originally posted by: [B]and about domestics i really put my foot down in buying one. only because i dont like the styling and itll just look weird for an asian guy to drive a domestic. i always laugh when i see asian guys driving domestics.[hr]
you always see them cause they are in front of you... [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]...

i kid, i kid!
Old 07-04-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
How aboot a Civic SI coupe?.. or in the $20k Range an SE-R Spec V?
Old 07-04-2002
Premium Member

[hr]one drives a WRX and "wants to get a bigger intercooler" and the other drives a dead stock bimmer 325.[hr]
haha. the guy that drives the wrx doesnt really know much about cars and the guy with the bimmer treats his car like ****.

maybe if i work my a s s off i can pay the 4k diff so i get a rsx-s. and i kinda like the new si's as mohawkboom suggested. shrug. this is hard work.

edit
thanks for all the opinions

Quick Reply: *REVISED* more opinions needed!