General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Got a ticket today......You'll never guess how tho!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pounds is an unknown quantity at this point
Got a ticket today......You'll never guess how tho!!!!!!!!!!!

well i was on my way to the dealer today and was kinda late for my appointment so i was speeding...i was going a bit over 80 when i come over a hill and to my surprise see a guy standing in the middle of the two lane highway...it was a statepatrol and he was waving me to the side of the road...well i pull over and start thinking, he didnt clock me, he is only telling me to slow down or something...

well he comes to my window and proceeds to tell me that i was clocked doing 83 in a 70, and im thinking wtf, how? then he tells me that their airplane, yes their airplane clocked me about 4 miles back!!!!

ARE YOU FUNKIN KIDDIN ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! an airplane??? i almost blew my shocks like 5 times driving down the interstate cause the roads are poorly maintained and the state patrol has a plane to pull people over with????

aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....im sooooooooooooooooo pissssssssssed!!

damn you wright brothers!!!!

sorry but im so mad right now......i really need to vent!
Old 07-01-2002
Registered!!

phlipsidez is an unknown quantity at this point
damn dude.... i feel for you... caught by a damn airplane, that's unheard of.
get a lawyer
Old 07-01-2002
Registered!!

loquito is an unknown quantity at this point
haha that sux nuts ,around here they have choppers w/ radar guns my dad got caught by one and they stopped him about 10miles down the road....boy was he pissed[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-01-2002
Registered!!

bhayes82 is an unknown quantity at this point
that's what those thick white stripes that run perpendicular to the lanes in the shoulder are for... they time you as you pass each one from a helicopter or small airplane... pretty soon they'll be using satellites i bet... scary!
Old 07-01-2002
Registered!!

GriffO44 is an unknown quantity at this point
Geez thats nuts I better stop speeding. I've never heard of getting caught by an airplane. O well I feel for yah though.
GRIFF
Old 07-01-2002
Alt
Registered!!

Alt is an unknown quantity at this point
my brother got pulled over and to his surprise had been clocked by some dude in a cropduster a couple of miles back. speeding is becoming increasingly harder to get away with these days and its a damn shame [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-01-2002
Registered!!

QCKSILVR is an unknown quantity at this point
We don't do the airplanes/helicopters here, but many jurisdictions do and it's certainly enforceable.
Old 07-01-2002
Registered!!

BlueIce2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
thats some crazy *** **** i would have never thought to look up
i hope they dont have this crap in houston cause if they do im goin outside right now and with some duct tape the word "F&CK YOU CHEATERS!" lol
damn i would be pissed off too
i would have asked to see the radar LOL
Old 07-02-2002
Mex
Registered!!

Mex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the rough
I know that in virginia (especially near DC) traffic is always being monitored by aircraft.. this is nothing new to me sorry to hear about the ticket though [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

02CarbonCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry to tell you they do have those in Texas... we got them in Oklahoma also
Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

[hr]We don't do the airplanes/helicopters here, but many jurisdictions do and it's certainly enforceable.[hr]
alright.....i know i was speeding and i know that i was wrong...but is there anyway i can fight this? i mean i wasnt able to witness the radar or anything......

i dont want this on my record...i guess ill have to get it argued down to a non moving violation huh?
Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

devilvtec is an unknown quantity at this point
I just heard about them doin this saturday, that really bites. Couldn't this be protected under illegal search and seizure, since they had no right to suspect you of anything?

EDIT: They don't use a radar, it's a stopwatch, they time how long it takes to go from one line to the next.
Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

CivicRacer2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
yea they do that in pa too..
there warning on the side of high way about speed messured by aircarfts of some crap like that..
but i never noticed a plane over me.....
Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

02CarbonCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Rules....
1. You do not have to "witness" as you said my radar.... and there is no way I would even allow you to get in my car and look at it anyway

2. "illegal search and seizure....they had no right to suspect you of anything"..... what do you mean by that? He was speeding that is all I need to pull him over
Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

devilvtec is an unknown quantity at this point
In response to Carbon Civic, it just seems like they watch you for nothing...
Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

It's called the "fellow officer rule." For example, I could see a blue car driving like a bat out of hell and jump on the radio and say "Hey! Get the blue car." And any officer in the area could stop that blue car based upon my information. It's kind of the same w/ a helicopter--they radar you and then jump on the radio to the officer on the ground who acts upon their information.

Illegal search and seizure doesn't have anything to do with this really.
Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
There should be signs that say Radar Enforced By Aircraft. Maybe you were going too fast to even see it?
Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

obzerv is an unknown quantity at this point
i seen those signs that say "speed monitored by aircraft" around my city ( i live in Cali, 925/510/408 area ), but i never thought that that was actually true...damn...ima really slow down now..especially since i just got my first ticket going 75 in a 65 zone......[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-02-2002

WD40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh man! I love this one! (Not that you got a ticket, that totally sucks, I mean I love this scenario as far as contesting it goes.)

What state do you live in?

In California I could get your particular ticket dismissed very easily. Law enforcement is allowed to use planes here, but only as a spotter. The arresting unit on the ground must personally determine the violator's speed.

If you look on the section of road you got stopped on you'll probably notice white bars painted on the shoulder or markers placed in the ground. The guys up in the plane know how far apart those markers are and they time you to see how quickly you move from marker to marker. From there it's just a simple calculation to determine your speed.

In California by law that's considered a speed trap and is clearly illegal.

CVC 40801 says it all:

CVC40801
No peace officer or other person shall use a speed trap in arresting, or participating or assisting in the arrest of, any person for any alleged violation of this code nor shall any speed trap be used in securing evidence as to the speed of any vehicle for the purpose of an arrest or prosecution under this code.

A "speed trap" is one of two things, the first of which applies here. (The second definition involves radar used by ground units and traffic surveys. Fun stuff for beating a radar ticket.)

CVC40802(a)
(1) A particular section of a highway measured as to distance and with boundaries marked, designated, or otherwise determined in order that the speed of a vehicle may be calculated by securing the time it takes the vehicle to travel the known distance.

In California, you have enough evidence simply by the officer admitting the plane nabbed you to get your case dismissed. All that having been said, it may have been perfectly legal in your state. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

Research your vehicle code!!! You'd be surprised how many people could legally beat their ticket if they put some effort into it.
Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

TEKNIQ is an unknown quantity at this point
We have them here in S. Cali.......I've never been pulled over like that but I've seen warning signs on the side of the freeway of their use...
Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

merz is an unknown quantity at this point
... a few weeks ago I was caught speeding - in my wife's Odessy minivan no less... we were talking, going with the flow of traffic (there was just me and a cop car on this long open road - the cop was gaining on me - no lights or anything, just cruising... we went around a corner at a point where the speed limit drops, about an eighth of a mile past that, just as the cop car was passing me, another one on the side of the road nailed me with laser.

I was so pissed at the injustice of getting pulled over while being passed by a cop like that, I couldn't bring myself to be nice and polite and ended up with a $140 ticket. I was technically speeding I guess... but survey statistics show that people tend to speed up when being passed without realizing it so it's like I was pushed.

Down here in SE Florida you see cops passing on right, speeding constantly around town, changing lanes and turning without direction signals, chatting on cell phones day-in, day-out...UGH.

Give me a back road in New England anyday... too wooded for airplanes, too empty to be a source of cash in speed traps.
Old 07-02-2002

Yeah, I've seen CHP choppers patrolling the 91 freeway. Damn that sunroof comes in handy.
Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow good thing I read this I have seen those signs driving in NV but we were just talking the other day and my buds are all no way that is back way back when, they just leave those up. My dad even said that too LOL so good thing I read this thread since I am getting ready to drive over the 4 of July weekend.

That seriously sucks though I would be pist too

Nick
Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

RevHigh is an unknown quantity at this point
Occasionally when driving down (mostly rural) CA highways you can actually see the shadows of the airplanes patrolling. Kinda makes you nervous.
Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

WOW WD40...thanks for the help...

i plan on looking for a way to get out of this...i know i was speeding, but it just kills me that a plane got me!

anyway, im in missouri and im not really sure how to find my vehicle codes...or where to look about the speed trap stuff....any ideas?
Old 07-02-2002
APS
Registered!!

APS is an unknown quantity at this point
Time to invest in some ground-to-air missiles
Old 07-02-2002

I know what you mean, man! I don't know if you saw the thread I created awhile ago, but I got busted for 100+mph, I fought it and won! Granted I probably got lucky, but I encourage everyone to fight their ticket. You have nothing to lose!

Look on your citation, there will be a place where he wrote which section of the vehicle code you're charged with violating (ex. CVC 22349(a) is speeding over 65 in CA). Plug that into google and start reading.

The first thing I would do is call the court clerk and see if your area has a provision for traffic school or some other way to keep points off your record and if they do, find out if you are personally eligible. If you want to keep your record clean, don't mind paying the bail and don't mind wasting a saturday at traffic school I'd definitely reccommend going this route. (Parts of California allow you to take traffic school online, which is a freakin' breeze. If you're allowed to do this I'd highly reccommend it!)

If you don't have such a program available to you, or you don't want to pay the fines, still call the court clerk and ask if you can do a "trial by written declaration." I reccommend trial by declaration for several reasons. a) For most of us it's easier to formulate thoughts on paper than under the stress of being in a courtroom. b) In California if you lose the trial by declaration you can request a "trial de novo" ('All things new'), which is a formal courtroom hearing, thereby getting a second chance. c) There's a 30% chance the officer won't write his side in and you'll win by default. The chances of this happening are even greater in your case because both the officer in the plane AND the one that stopped you must testify against you.

Also you can call your DMV office and request a booklet with all the vehicle and traffic laws. It'll probably cost you about $3.

I don't know if your state makes provision for the same kind of speed trap laws like we have in California. If they do, you're in a good position!

If you can find some sites online that list the vehicle laws for your state, let me know and I'll try to help you with a defense if that's the route you want to go.
Old 07-02-2002

Not a bad idea. It might be difficult since laws vary so widely from state to state, but there some general things that should apply most everywhere.

I think might start working on a website to answer some of the FAQ regarding tickets and what to do with them.

Thanks for the compliment BTW. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

slikor is an unknown quantity at this point
i have a question related to this for any Law Enforcment Officers (or ppl knowledgeable about this subject): if a given jurisdiction uses aircraft to determine speed of a vehicle, by whatever means, are there required to be signs or some similar indication that this method is used?

for example, if here in MD the LEO's can use helicopters to determine if a car is speeding, are they required to have signs posted to indicate that, or can they do that and it doesnt matter if the motorists know that or not?
Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

Not that I know of. Some places put up "Speed Enforced By Radar" but that's about it. I've seen Speed Enforced By Aircraft in NH and MA though.

Quick Reply: Got a ticket today......You'll never guess how tho!!!!!!!!!!!