General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Automatics are faster than manuals....

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PESTLNC is an unknown quantity at this point
Automatics are faster than manuals....

I thought that should get some attention...I wanna dismiss some myths. First of all, I drive a 5-speed Civic now. Automatics are not faster than sticks...unless they're modified. Just FYI...for all those automatic drivers out there...don't give up hope. My previous car...a Ford 4.6L V8...it was an automatic. I chirped the tired until 3rd. Properly modifed, an automatic can shift at the exact time you want it to. My 1-2 and 2-3 shifted in a split second...3-4 shifted in about 1/3 of a second.
Old 06-20-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DarkCivic is an unknown quantity at this point

[hr]I thought that should get some attention...I wanna dismiss some myths. First of all, I drive a 5-speed Civic now. Automatics are not faster than sticks...[hr]
Dude- thanks for the new discovery. Now what's better, and AEM CAI or an Injen SRI?
Old 06-20-2002
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
lol INJEN CAI . hehe i just installed today ,one nice a$$ sound i love it
Old 06-20-2002
Registered!!

Neither. Both offer neglidigible gains.

I posted this hoping people would read it when they searched. It's not a very common topic. My previous car was unfortunately an automatic, and I was hoping to give some automatic drivers out there some hope on improving their ride. Level 10 offers packages for automatic Civic's though I don't know how good it is.
Old 06-20-2002
Registered!!

Quackers is an unknown quantity at this point
the only automatic thaz better than stick is the ones on ferrari and the new M3 (2003)... the one on the M3 can shift way faster than any person... other than that stick is better...
Old 06-20-2002
Registered!!

htowncivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Getting a high performance sports car with an automatic transmission is just plain retarded IMO. I've lost count of the # of times I see a nice M3 parked in a lot and I walk over to look at it and it's a slush box. Same deal with half the Z3's I see on the road. The only real way to experience the power and beauty of a high performance motor is to use the stick and clutch to deliver the power manually. Part of the reason I lost respect for Mercedes Benz is because they don't offer a manual transmission for many of their models (e.g. CLK430).

Old 06-20-2002
Registered!!

htowncivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
And once again - the fact that a computerized shifting system can snap off gearshifts faster than a human doesn't paint the whole picture. Automatics in general eat up more hp just to bring the power to the wheels (i.e. they suffer more drivetrain loss than a standard transmission does). Even if an automatic did deliver power quicker than a manual, that's still no way to get the true experience of driving the car.
Old 06-20-2002
Registered!!

silverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of light
Unless your talking about top speed. Then, thanx to the automatics higher gearing it will top out faster than its manual counterpart.
Old 06-20-2002
Registered!!

SLeePeR012 is an unknown quantity at this point
You are wrong htowncivic. Some cars are faster in auto than in manuals. But you are right M3, Z3 are not examples but some "high performance" cars work better auto than manual. Mainly when I hear about that is for a 55 Chevy or like PESTLNC said old v8 Mustangs.
Old 06-20-2002
Registered!!

NeoMagus is an unknown quantity at this point
Im sorry but its been a proven fact that an Auto Supra could take the sticks, not that I wouldnt mind shifting a Supra but I def wouldn't mind an auto for traffic AND it being faster.
Old 06-20-2002
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Darkcivic nice signature I see a possible thong in that photo Yeah I know a Auto off the line shifts faster but once I get going watch out LOL but yeah I still like Manual versus crap auto

Nick
Old 06-20-2002
Registered!!

LikeWEEEEEEEEEE is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: SLeePeR012
You are wrong htowncivic. Some cars are faster in auto than in manuals. But you are right M3, Z3 are not examples but some "high performance" cars work better auto than manual. Mainly when I hear about that is for a 55 Chevy or like PESTLNC said old v8 Mustangs.[hr]
i had an 84 5.0 gt. manual on that car is still better. try a GN, those cars need manual. or funny cars...then again thats just insane to put stick in a funnycar.
Old 06-20-2002
Registered!!

Crashoveride is an unknown quantity at this point
I dont know if the stick is better than the auto or not, but I sure as hell miss driving a stick. I have been kicking myself for getting an Auto. But I got it because I drive in the city and the streets can be a big pain in the winter, and as well for my wife so she can drive it too. I am still happy with the performance of the auto.
Old 06-20-2002
Registered!!

AirForce is an unknown quantity at this point
Let me tell you....Some poeple have been driving manuals there whole lives and they want something different, so they buy a M3 for example in a automatic. I wouldn't complain if I had an automatice M3 because it sure would be the hell out of a lot of sticks. BUT there are some cars that you should get an manual in mo matter what. (i.e. Corvette)
Old 06-20-2002
Registered!!

BigHippo22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I dunno why you're talking about the shift points PESTLNC because that's not the reason autos are slower. The reason they're generally slower is because they take away more power. A manual generally takes about 15% of the engine's power where an auto usually takes aboout 25%-30% I don't know if our cars loose that much power between the crank and the wheels, because honda designs their stuff to be so efficient.
Old 06-20-2002
Registered!!

DxMaN is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: NeoMagus
Im sorry but its been a proven fact that an Auto Supra could take the sticks, not that I wouldnt mind shifting a Supra but I def wouldn't mind an auto for traffic AND it being faster.[hr]
Not to be a biz-natch, but I thought I helped to despell this myth

here. I too get depressed when I see nice sports cars w/o stick. With all the advantages to stick, why would you want an auto? I know the whole traffic issue, but once you get good at manual, you don't even think about it. Maybe on minivans or SUVs, but on sports cars and compacts, it just adds so much to the driving experience
Old 06-20-2002
Registered!!

n00dleboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Automatics tend to have less torque off the line. As standards we have the clutch and in autos they use a torque converter to engage/disengage.
Old 06-20-2002
Registered!!

Dreamercivic is an unknown quantity at this point
My auto teacher said that for drag racing, autos are better, and for autox and stuff like that, manuals are better.
u never seen a manual drag car have you? they are all autos.
Old 06-20-2002
9K Redline Owns U
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Spider883 will become famous soon enoughSpider883 will become famous soon enough
For speed, auto's can handle nitrous and forced induction better than a manual any day. However, with a manual the control is in the driver choosing a proper gear for turns. I miss downshifting on turns and passes with my auto compared to a 5 spd. But when the nitrous or maybe turbo goes on the car, an automatic is a better drag machine.

-andrew (2001civicex2dr) posting on spider's laptop while he helps install my springs
Old 06-20-2002
Registered!!

R3DF0G is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Spider883
For speed, auto's can handle nitrous and forced induction better than a manual any day. However, with a manual the control is in the driver choosing a proper gear for turns. I miss downshifting on turns and passes with my auto compared to a 5 spd. But when the nitrous or maybe turbo goes on the car, an automatic is a better drag machine.

-andrew (2001civicex2dr) posting on spider's laptop while he helps install my springs[hr]
DON'T HAMMER ON THE TIE ROD END
(inside joke)

lol[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-20-2002
Premium Member

EManEX will become famous soon enoughEManEX will become famous soon enough
In my opinions the auto is better over stick only on two things: Auto can take more boost, and a Auto is consistance in its gearing (you won't miss a gear)
Old 06-21-2002
Registered!!

pezzy is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree that autos have much more consistent acceleration (they dont miss shifts or screw up the launch). But there is no fun in autos.

They make a huge difference performancewise on the Civics. The 5spd EX can do 0-60mph in about 8 seconds, the auto takes nearly 10. The clutch in the Civic is the lightest of any car I have ever driven and its a cinch to drive (even in San Jose commute traffic).
Old 06-21-2002
Registered!!

Red2k3Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
my auto civic -> only mod injen cai....0-60 - 7.5 seconds..i'll post the video if somebody wants to host it

Old 07-21-2002
Registered!!

Wow, almost forgot this thread existed. But continuing...

Manuals are better than automatics in some ways, while automatic's are better in others. Since most people determine the "speed" of their car in terms of 0-60mph & 1/4mi. times a modified automatic should be faster. Most time lost in an automatic is during the shifts. Prior to modification my old car seemed to take forever to engage the next gear. With only the shift kit and straight exhaust I got my 0-60mph down to around 7.0/7.1 seconds. Not bad for a 4000lbs. car with 215hp. If I remember correctly, stock they're supposed to do 8.6 seconds.

Total cost for the mod was under $200. Now what else is going to take that much time off your 0-60mph? If you want your automatic to go quicker, look for a shift kit not a CAI.
Old 07-21-2002
Registered!!

bullseye is an unknown quantity at this point
On small low-torque engines such as those in our Civics the manual is the way to go. A stock LX 5 speed can easily smoke a stock EX auto if the manual driver is even halfway competent. I went in to have my armrest installed and they let me drive an auto. The auto was very sluggish and the standing start acceleration was noticeably slower than my manual. That is why you don't see automatics in S2000's or Civic Si's.
Old 07-21-2002
Registered!!

TwilightX is an unknown quantity at this point
Faster or slower, more or less torque off the line...all that matters is that a manual transmission is just fun to drive, period... [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-21-2002
9K Redline Owns U

Spider883 will become famous soon enoughSpider883 will become famous soon enough
actually thursday nite i just beat a 2k1 ex 5speed with I/H/E and pulleys. so hahaha
Old 07-21-2002

supermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to all
BEAT THIS FIVE SPEED

Old 07-21-2002
Registered!!

R3DF0G is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: TwilightX
Faster or slower, more or less torque off the line...all that matters is that a manual transmission is just fun to drive, period... [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][hr]
damn right....

[hr]actually thursday nite i just beat a 2k1 ex 5speed with I/H/E and pulleys. so hahaha [hr]
.....and I told you about the modded Camaro I beat Friday, does that mean my car is faster? hell no, I was just the better driver in that race[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-21-2002
9K Redline Owns U

hey hector bring it man. but i will have someone distract u while i unhook your nitrous

Quick Reply: Automatics are faster than manuals....