General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BlueMeanie is an unknown quantity at this point
selling it(maybe)

is there any way to kinda RIG the check engine lite OFF!?!? mine is on and cant get it off b/c i let my friend do something to the cat and i dont want to pay a fine.....if the engine lite is off no one knows...im thinking about cracking open the cluster and painting over the check engine light with black paint or elec. tape.. any advice?
Old 05-28-2002
Registered!!

2k2civicballer is an unknown quantity at this point
you can have it reset.....take your car into honda and tell them you unplugged your ECU or something of that sort, and that now it shows up. Ask them if you can just pull it in and let them really quick reset it for you just like the SRS light...they should do it without looking under the hood, and also the Service guys at honda dont care if you remove your cat ..... they should do it for free. i work at honda so yeah...lol [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

cheers
b
Old 05-28-2002
Registered!!

Crashoveride is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah I would take it to the dealer and have them reset it for you, should only take a min or two. But I wouldnt suggest painting over the light, its there for a reason and Honda cars have a million sensors in them that go off really easy but its better to be safe then sorry.

Just my $0.02.
Old 05-28-2002
Registered!!

mattymatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Can't you just unplug your battery and it will reset everything?
Old 05-28-2002
Registered!!

RacerX is an unknown quantity at this point
You don't have to take it to the dealership...you can do it. In the manual it tells you how...look it up, I think you put the key in the ignition and turn the key, then you press the mileage button and hold it or something like that...you don't have to take it in...
Old 05-28-2002
Registered!!

bhayes82 is an unknown quantity at this point
racerx: that's how you reset the service reminder light... bluemeanie is talking about the check engine light, which can't be reset by the driver.

edit: the check engine light is an LED... you could swap it for a blue one, and at least make it look cool [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]