General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

2009 Ford E250 Bank 1 Sensor 1 O2 Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
2009 Ford E250 Bank 1 Sensor 1 O2 Sensor

Hey guys,
Work van is throwing the following codes:
P0135 - O2 sensor heater circuit b1s1
P0030 - HO2S heater control circuit b1s1

Pretty safe to assume I just need to change the sensor?
Anyone here work on Fords? Been awhile for me besides oil changes
Is it fairly straight forward to get at? Pull the doghouse and it's right there?

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 02-21-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2009 Ford E250 Bank 1 Sensor 1 O2 Sensor

One code probably can cause the other, and a failed sensor heater could cause both codes

Most likely bad sensor, but I'd probably want to check a few things before tossing one at it.

Inspect the harness for the sensor first, any opens could cause both codes

You need to know which side of the engine #1 is on (and follow the exhaust pipe) so you don't replace the wrong sensor (incredibly easy mistake with some designs)

Sometimes sensor connectors could reach the wrong sides and swapped sensor connections can cause a damn weird running problem LOL
Old 02-21-2018

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Hi Ezone
Thanks for the response, I had this cross posted in the ford forum I'm still a member on and got this response (from a Ford mechanic):

Originally Posted by adsm08
My experience with P0030 is limited, but I have dealt with P0135 many times and the issue was always in the sensor.

Dog box is probably the best way to get at it, but it should be pretty easy just sliding under too.

With that P0030 in there I would check the fuse for the heater circuit as well. It is possible that the fuse popped when the heater failed.
Harness looked good, it was on the passenger side, sensor was right out in the open once I pulled the dog house off.

I did throw a new NTK sensor on it (company's money) and so far no codes. In my limited experience O2 sensor codes tend to set pretty immediately.

Haven't found the fuse adsm08 mentioned, owner's manual is pretty vague, going to bring my meter in tomorrow and manually check all the fuses

Thanks again!
Old 02-21-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

In my limited experience O2 sensor codes tend to set pretty immediately.
Certain codes can set very quickly. Some faults take longer to detect or show themselves. Directly monitored heater circuit fault codes usually set within a minute on most designs I've dealt with.
(some manufacturers have designs which aren't monitored directly)

Haven't found the fuse adsm08 mentioned, owner's manual is pretty vague, going to bring my meter in tomorrow and manually check all the fuses
Don't overthink this (as sandro says LOL)

New sensor is in and working, therefore it can't be a fuse problem.

If a fuse covering the sensor heater circuit had blown, the sensor heater would not be able to work at all and it would have immediately reset one or both of the same fault codes.
Old 02-21-2018

That's true, thanks again for the help!