General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

01 accord trans and cv shaft issues. Where to from here?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adam.smith2887 is an unknown quantity at this point
01 accord trans and cv shaft issues. Where to from here?

2001 honda accord LX 2.4L MAXA/BAXA auto trans 189k miles

Long story short, wife's car. Trans fluid looked good at last oil change. Drove it for a bit and noticed lag when shifting. Days later turning left in an intersection gunned it a bit and pop, no power to the wheels. Bad noises when in drive and reverse and park. Found that the passenger side cv joint twisted in half (pics to follow). I can hear the nubby shaft spin when i am in neutral which also seems odd.

So, i probably already know but don't want to be true. Trans sounds like its broken. The something that is broke probably helped torque my axle in half.

my half baked plan at the moment is to:
1. get a junkyard CV shaft and replace the current one.
2. Carefully start and test.
3. ????
4. profit?

If i still hear grindy gears then i will 100% know the trans.

this also sounds like a waste of time. Rebuilding a Trans doesn't look to be beyond my technical skill if i have instructions, but it does look to be beyond my organizational skill level.

assuming bad trans would you all suggest i have someone rebuild mine, or buy a reman? Other suggestions? Is it not worth it in general, give up and try again?
broken cv shaft

Last edited by Adam.smith2887; 11-05-2017 at 12:02 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 11-05-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 01 accord trans and cv shaft issues. Where to from here?

It broke the axle due to rust. Welcome to the rust belt.

Replace the axle.

You can get axles cheap, check your local parts store websites. Probably $50-100 and quality is always questionable.....so buy local so it's easy to get it warranted if need be.
I wouldn't bother with a junkyard unit. It's very likely to have the same problem soon if you get an original one.

You might want to replace the axle seal on the trans while the axle is out of the way.

Trans will be fine (or at least as good as it was). You just heard the park pawl trying to stop the freely spinning parts inside---because the axle wasn't in one piece to stop the differential and internal shafts from spinning freely. If you had shut the engine off before trying to shove the lever into park it wouldn't have made all that noise.