General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

I got to drive a new 2016 coupe today!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
robfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nice
I got to drive a new 2016 coupe today!

It was a loaner car from the dealer while my 2002 EX was in the shop.
One of them new-fangled ones with NO CD player!

My only other (recent memory) Civics have been an '08 EX-L (nav., heated, leather seats) and an '06 EX.

But what I really look at is the daily things that surround the driver.
Boy, someone dropped some acid at the design of that center console!
The cup holders are nice enough, but I prefer 8th gen.
What I find REALLY weird is the lower cubby hole. You won't be looking for anything in there at speed! The little change holder falls nicely to hand, though.
And the upper cubby - meant to hold your phone, I suppose, as it has holes in the back to allow you to pass your cord(s) through, as the USB and 12v ports are right below it (in the lower cubby).

I am planning on getting another 8th gen next Spring, as soon as my finances get straightened out. I am planning on one of the last two model years, so I have a chance at a one-owner, low-mileage example.

I am going to check out the 9th gens, too, since they are reportedly very similar.

I found myself distracted by the MPG gauge on the dash of this 2016. Hopefully that can be turned off in "customization":
the tenth generation Civic consolidates these instruments into a fully customisable, all digital interface
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Civic

And DANM!, did that new car smell give me a headache! One more reason to buy used.
Old 08-17-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I got to drive a new 2016 coupe today!

One of them new-fangled ones with NO CD player!
All the cool kids have the music on their phones. Link the phone to the radio and BAM no need for CDs in the car.

I found myself distracted by the MPG gauge on the dash of this 2016. Hopefully that can be turned off in "customization":
In the small display in the gauges? This can be changed to show other things using the left side steering wheel buttons
Old 08-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wildcat445 is an unknown quantity at this point

My AC on the 2009 CR-V went out while on vacation. Had a dealer in Salt Lake City fix it. For the day, I rented a brand new (literally...still had the temporary paper registration "plate" taped to the window) Civic EX-T. I'm not a fan of sitting that low anymore, but it was still fun to drive. The CVT took a little getting used to (and I see what they mean by the "rubber band effect"), but while at speed, if you stomped on the pedal, that car took off quickly. It was also much quieter than any Civic I'd ever been in. When I first started the engine, I couldn't tell it was running. I had to look at the tach. And of course, I was nervous as heck, using a "borrowed" car that I didn't own, hoping nothing happened to it.
Old 08-17-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wildcat445
And of course, I was nervous as heck, using a "borrowed" car that I didn't own, hoping nothing happened to it.

My wife was like that when we were car shopping. Very very nervous about driving something new and different. Then she sees me drive them like I was fleeing the police. Of course I am in something new and different 3-4 times per week so I am a little jaded about driving new stuff.

If the car was built correctly you can't hurt it with any normal driving. If you can break it on the test drive (without doing stupid stuff like neutral drops) then the car needed to be fixed anyways.
Old 08-17-2017
Registered!!

My biggest worry was traffic, and other drivers, or even parking it and getting a door ding. Being in an unfamiliar city as well. It wasn't so much about "breaking" the car.

Although it did get up to 90 MPH on I-25 rather quickly...
Old 08-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
robfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nice

I was very paranoid. I tried to keep a bigger than normal buffer between me and the other cars.
Old 08-17-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robfarr56
I was very paranoid. I tried to keep a bigger than normal buffer between me and the other cars.
Man, I remember every day on the Circle and I65 it was at least 20 over and bumper to bumper like the Indy 500.
If you left a car length in front of you, someone WILL fill that space.

Surface streets were a little slower and saner LOL

Yea, I spent a little time there in the past
It's changed a lot since then

/Good times.
Old 08-17-2017
Registered!!

I do have to say that I somewhat liked the 80 MPH speed limits out west. Somewhat, because I'd set the cruise for 85 or 90, make good time, but my gas mileage of course suffered, especially when we had to drive with the windows open. (AC quit in Minnesota, and temps through Wyoming were 93 degrees.) Drivers out there were more civilized than in the metro Detroit area. They wouldn't dare have that speed in this state.