General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Price for Used Civic

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scout1 will become famous soon enoughScout1 will become famous soon enough
Price for Used Civic

My son wants to buy a used hatchback Civic. This style is popular around here. I can judge basic operation and condition but value I go by Edmunds.com. I never pay retail and this is where I am having problems with my son. He wants my advice but he says the Edmunds value is not realistic on these types of cars. The car he is looking at is on Craigslist at the following site.
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/4217803820.html
I he wants around $1800.00 but I think this is high. What do you guys think. All A/C is removed. I see that all you guys seem to do that. What is a fair price ?

Ed

Last edited by Scout1; 12-05-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-05-2013
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Price for Used Civic

Let's see:

1.) The interior looks like crap. 22 years will do that to anything though.
2.) I'm not a fan of the matte paint job. That's personal preference though.
3.) Aftermarket intake looks nice but the engine bay has rust. Once again, 22 years will do that.
4.) Aftermarket exhaust too, if that's the pipe in pictures 2 and 12.
5.) 183k is pretty light use for such an old car. Does he have maintenance records, like the timing belt, brakes, battery, etc? Those could easily add another $500-$1000 if you have to do them all soon.
6.) The new tires would cost a couple hundred, tops.
7.) What are all those doodads around the dash?

I see Edmunds was quoting in the $500-$600 range, right? As a prospective buyer, I would definitely be curious about that kind of price difference.
Old 12-05-2013
Registered!!

Scout1 will become famous soon enoughScout1 will become famous soon enough

Poopies,

I agree with you. He heard thru the grape vine that the car may have some electrical problems so he passed on it. I said keep looking you will know when you find the right one. Anyway I said not to offer any more than $1200 and that would be too much only because of new tires and rims.

Ed
Old 12-06-2013
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute

try to find one that hasn't been heavily modified. you never know if the parts are installed wrong. And if he's not dead set on a hatch, you guys can find a much better deal. Plus you don't want to ride around Jax without AC...

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/4224253043.html