General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.
View Poll Results: It is worth 1500?
Yes
100.00%
No
0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

This Honda worth the cost?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
super-6-1 is an unknown quantity at this point
This Honda worth the cost?

I have posted this over at the car's specific forum but i fell this topic needs to be in a more "open" area since im asking about the cars previouse work and see the general yes or no to it.

I am About to get a 1999 Honda Civic EX from a co-worker.

Now i have see car and it looks and sounds great! She recently put it in the shop for some repairs and is welling to sell it to me for the amount of money she put into it. Now, All i do know is this.
  1. She Bought the car with a rebuilt tranny back in Feb
  2. She said the breaks where being re-done on it
  3. Shes getting the head gasket replaced.
  4. The car has about 112,000 and i have seen her use it. Sounded quite as a fly.
  5. New Tires will be put on it as soon as it is our of the shop.
  6. Shes selling it for 1500

This as of now is all i know. I will post the other things ether tomorrow when i call the mechanic and ask him myself or monday when i go there and see it and once its done i can pick it up from the shop.

Is there anything that i should ask/look at before i by it? This is going to be my first car and i want to get as much info about it as i can.

Care Info.

Car:1999 Honda Civic
Model: EX
Transmission: Auto
Miles: 115K
Color: Green
Looks: It looks clean from what i can remember.
Performance: I have not tested it because its in the shop. I will as soon as i can.
Price: $1500
Old 06-23-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: This Honda worth the cost?

i believe kbb is around 3500 for good condition i usually see them go for 2,000 to 4,000 dollars with 150,000 miles on them. i would get it and flip it also see if she will come down on the price when you have cash in hand i bet she will. one thin though make sure the block isn't warped from over heating since it needs a new head gasket.
Old 06-24-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

i would say its worth it. but dont be suprised if you need to replace that trans again soon. someone i work with has a 1996 ex and its running on its 3rd auto trans with only 150,000 miles on it. i think ive convinced her to get a manual next time. also it will need a new timing belt if it doesnt already have one. that job isnt cheap either. but i think as long as the body is nice and the previous owner actually took care of their car its worth it.
Old 06-24-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
i believe kbb is around 3500 for good condition i usually see them go for 2,000 to 4,000 dollars with 150,000 miles on them. i would get it and flip it also see if she will come down on the price when you have cash in hand i bet she will. one thin though make sure the block isn't warped from over heating since it needs a new head gasket.
Originally Posted by pwnsauce
i would say its worth it. but dont be suprised if you need to replace that trans again soon. someone i work with has a 1996 ex and its running on its 3rd auto trans with only 150,000 miles on it. i think ive convinced her to get a manual next time. also it will need a new timing belt if it doesnt already have one. that job isnt cheap either. but i think as long as the body is nice and the previous owner actually took care of their car its worth it.
Thanks for the info! i am going to get it. She is the second owner of the car and the tranny was rebuilt so i think ill be good as long as i do the normal maintenance. I have seen her other cars as well she takes really good care of them. Had a Brand new truck for 10 years and never had any repairs to it, so took it in when it needed to and its been running fine since.

I may just post it up as a trade for a manual but more then likely ill keep this car till it breaks.
Old 06-25-2012
Registered!!

Hey! i have some news about the car. The mechanic was over at the car today and plug in the fuss box. A alarm went off that the current owner never even knew off. The mechanic took a look at the car's wiring and saw it was completely rigged up for the alarm and stereo. So now the owner of it now says this.

"If i have to pay for a new fuss box i will give them the car"

So if this is true what should i do? Take it from her and have the car worked on myself? Or have her scrap it herself? From what she says the fuss box costs about 3000
Old 06-25-2012
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

wait what why was he putting in a fuse box i thought the car was running fine i don't understand. yes most places will do a hack job when installing alarms and stereos but i don't think it would warrant completely re-wiring the car. i think your mechanic mite be shifty.
Old 06-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

^ agreed. sounds like her mech is tryin to make some extra cash. why would a fuse box be 3000? they sell on craigslist for $10-30. yeah installing it would suck but not for $3k. but id be interested in why it needs a new one. you dont wanna buy a car and find out its an electrical mess (like my new hatch lol).
Old 06-25-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by pwnsauce
^ agreed. sounds like her mech is tryin to make some extra cash. why would a fuse box be 3000? they sell on craigslist for $10-30. yeah installing it would suck but not for $3k. but id be interested in why it needs a new one. you dont wanna buy a car and find out its an electrical mess (like my new hatch lol).
Originally Posted by lowlife9
wait what why was he putting in a fuse box i thought the car was running fine i don't understand. yes most places will do a hack job when installing alarms and stereos but i don't think it would warrant completely re-wiring the car. i think your mechanic mite be shifty.
Well he didn't know it was there and nether did she. So yeah, but i was trying to tell her it was not going to cost 3000 to do it. at most 100 and if anything ill tell her to get the car fixed and ill pay someone else to have it done. Its not that hard really if i am right...

Also she figured it was about 3000 but i was trying to tell her it was not going to take that much at most 60

Also he hasn't done it yet, he needs to look at it.

Last edited by super-6-1; 06-25-2012 at 05:10 AM.
Old 06-25-2012
Registered!!

just buy the car from her then drive it don't fuss with the wiring that mechanic is just going to open a can of worms. if it's not broke don't fix it.
Old 06-30-2012
Registered!!

danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about

Look under the car for any rust or fatigue. Get a used oil analysis done for the engine and maybe the transmission ($20 @ Blackstone labs) so you can check for wear, look for sludge in valve cover. Check condition of all fluids.

Make sure the motors inside the dash board that controls the hot/cold and vent flaps sound normal when they are moving (leave engine off).

115K miles is nothing if properly maintained. Nothing at all. @pwnsauce, Being on the 3rd transmission is odd, I thought the 6th gen automatic transmissions were solid. 226K on mine. Just have to keep the the fluid fresh.