General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

What did you do to your civic today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough
Re: What did you do to your civic today?

Ejector seats are soooo 1984.
Old 04-16-2012

krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

Took advantage of this cool and cloudy afternoon to shine up my OEM 15-spoke rims inside and out. I would love to sell them, but it's probably better to keep all of the car's stock assets for better resale value.

I'll probably be using these in winter which doesn't make a whole lot of sense because the tires on my new rims are much better for snow driving...

My new 17" O.Z.s are just painted and brushed aluminum so maybe I can get by with using them all year round.

Old 04-16-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

^my fav set of oem rims
Old 04-16-2012
BACON

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TJDukit is an unknown quantity at this point

Bought it on saturday, changed the clutch on sunday, buttoned everything up today and did an oil change. Then drove it to work and joined the forum.
Old 04-16-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by TJDukit
Bought it on saturday, changed the clutch on sunday, buttoned everything up today and did an oil change. Then drove it to work and joined the forum.
nice. welcome aboard.
Old 04-16-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Cleaned the car, changed the oil, today was such a nice day
Old 04-16-2012
Registered!!

paulymcd7 is an unknown quantity at this point

washed and waxed it was so nice here in nj if only i had parts to install today lol
Old 04-18-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

finally moved my hid ballasts from the engine bay down to the bumper below the srs modules. i used some metal strips i cut and bent from home depot, some screws, and a little metal weld epoxy around the edges. mainly did it so the engine bay is cleaner and the ballasts stay cooler. and just in case cops look for them lol.
Old 04-18-2012
Registered!!

pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

took out the power steering. tomorrow taking out the cruise control.
Old 04-18-2012
Don't be a n00b, search ftw

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future

Not today, but finally got around to taking the pic off my phone...
Old 04-19-2012
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gearbox
finally moved my hid ballasts from the engine bay down to the bumper below the srs modules. i used some metal strips i cut and bent from home depot, some screws, and a little metal weld epoxy around the edges. mainly did it so the engine bay is cleaner and the ballasts stay cooler. and just in case cops look for them lol.
Nice, I may do the same. Too late to post pics? Are Retros illegal?
Originally Posted by pwnsauce
took out the power steering. tomorrow taking out the cruise control.
How do you like no PS? I live by cruise control on my commute. I may delete my AC though.
Originally Posted by 01HonderCivic
Not today, but finally got around to taking the pic off my phone...
Looks good.
Old 04-19-2012
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

technically any mod to the headlamp is illegal. however i have legal tyc projector lamps with the halogen version swapped to hid, so there is no way anyone would be able to tell. the newish oem hid bulbs look nearly the same color as halogen too, just brighter and wider. and with the ballasts hidden, the only way to tell is if someone knows what the back of a d2s connector looks like. otherwise the rear of the housing looks bone stock with the boots and all. forgot to take pics as this was dragging on and needed to get everything back together. i will prolly be taking off the bumper to wire something in the fog lights so i can take pics later.

Originally Posted by maxtierney
Nice, I may do the same. Too late to post pics? Are Retros illegal?
Old 04-19-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Rear discs, nice!
Old 04-19-2012
Registered!!

paulymcd7 is an unknown quantity at this point

im doing discs very soon tooi cant wait! if only i had the money for my wheels so you could see them on the car
also will i fail inspection with aftermarket projectors and HIDs?
Old 04-19-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Went into the shop for the second time in two weeks for srs related faults- driver side tensioner and passenger side tensioner. Honda replaced both of them for free. Also ordered a Pioneer Avic unit off ebay along with the double din dash kit...it will be replacing my kenwood x994
Old 04-20-2012
Registered!!

pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

How do you like no PS? I live by cruise control on my commute. I may delete my AC though.

Looks good.
its okay...i like how you can feel the car alot more in turns but its pretty hard to turn going slow. and my ac will be coming out too eventually...waitin to see how hot its gonna be here in the summer first lol

as for cruise control i think i used it one time just to see if it worked. lol but never got around to getting it out today.
Old 04-20-2012

Painted the brakes today with high-heat black.
Not as glossy after it dried, and actually looks gray in sunlight, but I can always go back and spray them with gloss later on. This'll do until I ever decide to get some nice brakes.

I don't want to work, I just wanna scream at these stupid drums all day!
Old 04-20-2012
EM2ti

maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

its okay...i like how you can feel the car alot more in turns but its pretty hard to turn going slow. and my ac will be coming out too eventually...waitin to see how hot its gonna be here in the summer first lol

as for cruise control i think i used it one time just to see if it worked. lol but never got around to getting it out today.
Did you do the loop/breather? It definitely helps. Still a bit of a workout in tigh spaces, but better. You ought to try it with 19s, but the feeling on the road is GREAT!

Originally Posted by krudmuphin
Painted the brakes today with high-heat black.
Not as glossy after it dried, and actually looks gray in sunlight, but I can always go back and spray them with gloss later on. This'll do until I ever decide to get some nice brakes.

I don't want to work, I just wanna scream at these stupid drums all day!
Looks good.

On another note...

Sorta picked up some JDM bling today. Freebie, as well. My buddy is going back to stock on his 07 Subaru STi Limited, to pass smog next month. He's giving me his ARC Super Induction Box, he hated it cause it caused him to bog down through mid-range RPMs. Gotta do some fabbing to make it work, we'll see. Probably gonna clear anodize it, to save me from polishing it all the time or wrinke finish it

For reference, here's some pics of a K series box. The STi box is a bit more compact than this one.

Old 04-20-2012
Registered!!

HateOnEveryone is an unknown quantity at this point

New,spark plugs and oil change then a,wash
Old 04-20-2012
BACON

TJDukit is an unknown quantity at this point

Did my timing belt and water pump today. Had to go to work though so I still have to put the P/S pump and AC compressor on and button everything up.
Old 04-20-2012
Premium Member

a word of caution on the arc box...every dyno and test ive seen shows power loss mainly due to the box acting like an oven and heating the air. there may be too much restriction as well. if you mount it far away from the engine, it may work but i wouldnt expect much. it looks nice and thats about it. shouldve been made of plastic at least.
Old 04-20-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Your friend GAVE you an ARC box?!

Now that's a good friend.
Old 04-21-2012
Registered!!

Did you do the loop/breather? It definitely helps. Still a bit of a workout in tigh spaces, but better. You ought to try it with 19s, but the feeling on the road is GREAT!
i used a breather. temporarily kept the oem resevoir and moved it by the clutch and brake resevoirs with the lines going to it. i dont like it but im gonna leave it like this at least untill i get my clutch fluid resevoir from majestic. then ill use that tiny resevoir instead lol
Old 04-21-2012
EM2ti

a word of caution on the arc box...every dyno and test ive seen shows power loss mainly due to the box acting like an oven and heating the air. there may be too much restriction as well. if you mount it far away from the engine, it may work but i wouldnt expect much. it looks nice and thats about it. shouldve been made of plastic at least.
Yeah, it's only for bragging rights. I'm thinking about ceramic coating it to minimize the heat soak.
Originally Posted by MindBomber
Your friend GAVE you an ARC box?!

Now that's a good friend.
He owns an STi. Local Subie, EVO and S2000 tuners are on a whole another level of finances. His circle drops tens of thousands of dollars without blinking. This intake is just a drop in the bucket. Good to have friends like these sometimes. Haha I'm actually the only Civic owner he's invited to his canyon runs and meets.
Old 04-21-2012
Registered!!

crawlr21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Started to hook up my oem fog lights. Didn't know what i got myself into till I started cutting lol its now 2am not done.
Old 04-21-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

He owns an STi. Local Subie, EVO and S2000 tuners are on a whole another level of finances. His circle drops tens of thousands of dollars without blinking. This intake is just a drop in the bucket. Good to have friends like these sometimes. Haha I'm actually the only Civic owner he's invited to his canyon runs and meets.
Not surprising, you're not the average Civic owner.

Your car represents the opposite to the approach to tuning that has given people who mod Hondas a bad name. You're dedicated to your car and personify quality over quantity. I could care less about monster turbos, that's a matter of cash and the willingness to spend it (sometimes foolishly), not a reflection of the owner. You've put in outstanding attention to detail, shown creativity, and modified the most impactful areas of your car with some of the best parts. If there's one seventh gen I draw inspiration from, it's yours.

^
That's how many beers I've had tonight.
Old 04-21-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Fun ARC fact of the evening from your resident drunken Administrator.

ARC is an abbreviation for Abbey Road Company, as in the Beetles album. The founder of ARC is a die hard Beetles fan and chose to draw inspiration from the band when naming his upstart company. The company that would proceed to become legendary in Japanese tuning.
Old 04-21-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I can post dyno sheets for stock engines that have made significant power gains off ARC induction boxes, it all depends on the chassis. I know the ARC induction box shows fairly significant loses on S2000s, but both AP1 and AP2 engines are so highly refined it's difficult to not lose power modifying them, never mind make gains. It also tends to be at it's best on modified engines that suck in a lot of air. It would be good to see ARC move to CF or CK air boxes, like Mugen, to eliminate the heat soak issue.

Old 04-21-2012
Premium Member

im curious how the stock civics without ps do it. there is no fluid or lines that i can see so im guessing the rack is completely different. as usual i cant find the pic, but its a mostly stock civic with no ps hardware at all. it has abs, and the a/c lines are routed differently, and the master cylinder is on the passenger side. i wonder if certain models came with electric power steering. or if the hybrid EPS can be modded to our civics. then you get all the benefits of ps and no power loss from the engine.

i used a breather. temporarily kept the oem resevoir and moved it by the clutch and brake resevoirs with the lines going to it. i dont like it but im gonna leave it like this at least untill i get my clutch fluid resevoir from majestic. then ill use that tiny resevoir instead lol
Old 04-21-2012
EM2ti

Not surprising, you're not the average Civic owner.

Your car represents the opposite to the approach to tuning that has given people who mod Hondas a bad name. You're dedicated to your car and personify quality over quantity. I could care less about monster turbos, that's a matter of cash and the willingness to spend it (sometimes foolishly), not a reflection of the owner. You've put in outstanding attention to detail, shown creativity, and modified the most impactful areas of your car with some of the best parts. If there's one seventh gen I draw inspiration from, it's yours.

^
That's how many beers I've had tonight.
Haha, I need a few myself. I appreciate the kind words. I grew up poor and understood the meaning of value, quality and patience from a young age. Birthday and Christmas gifts were always few and far between. So whenever I bought something for myself, it had to last. It started with toys, then shoes and clothes, finally car parts.

Fun ARC fact of the evening from your resident drunken Administrator.

ARC is an abbreviation for Abbey Road Company, as in the Beetles album. The founder of ARC is a die hard Beetles fan and chose to draw inspiration from the band when naming his upstart company. The company that would proceed to become legendary in Japanese tuning.
Learn something new everyday. You're like a wikipedia of information. I never have to Google it, I just wait for you to comment. Haha.

I can post dyno sheets for stock engines that have made significant power gains off ARC induction boxes, it all depends on the chassis. I know the ARC induction box shows fairly significant loses on S2000s, but both AP1 and AP2 engines are so highly refined it's difficult to not lose power modifying them, never mind make gains. It also tends to be at it's best on modified engines that suck in a lot of air. It would be good to see ARC move to CF or CK air boxes, like Mugen, to eliminate the heat soak issue.

True. I've always been drawn to PWJDM whale ***** or the Iceman plastic intakes. Good base material, with a quasi-velocity stack design.

im curious how the stock civics without ps do it. there is no fluid or lines that i can see so im guessing the rack is completely different. as usual i cant find the pic, but its a mostly stock civic with no ps hardware at all. it has abs, and the a/c lines are routed differently, and the master cylinder is on the passenger side. i wonder if certain models came with electric power steering. or if the hybrid EPS can be modded to our civics. then you get all the benefits of ps and no power loss from the engine.
Non power steering racks are a different animal, yes. Ratios are lower, requiring more turns lock to lock. There are some other differences, but I can't recall of the top of my head.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your civic today?