General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Is it just me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cinghoa is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it just me?

So this has been on my mind for a few months.

The reason Japanese cars did so well in the 70's an 80's is because the Detroit 3 couldn't make anything with quality, and the imports were much more reliable.

These days, the Japanese, with the exception of maybe Subaru, are having their major issues with quality and reliability while the Koreans are stepping up with the quality of what we would expect from the likes of Honda and Toyota.

Honda and Toyota used to be the way to go to get options for cheap, now you get a boatload of options from Hyundai for less than the base Japanese equivalent.

Now, suddenly, Ford seems to have revived something from the past and their cars are slowly becoming useful and even a little intriguing, finally using their European market to provide inspiraiton. Never been too fond of Ford, but the Sync system is pretty nice and their engines are getting fairly good reviews.

GM and Chrysler still seem to be hanging by a thread, waiting for someone to throw them a rope, but at least Alfa might be able to provide an interesting platform and some good tech for a small and mid-size car for Chrysler.

Just my thoughts on the current market.
Old 06-10-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it just me?

Certainly the American brands are getting better in quality and I have been extremely impressed with today's Hyundai's. The only downside is the price of Japanese cars are going up. I want to see less electronics and more simplicity from a tuners perspective. Not a fan of drive by wire but that seems to be the direction everyone is going.