General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

WHICH SHOULD I GET?! : HONDA CIVIC EX 2002 or MAZDA PROTEGE5

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kenji4861 is an unknown quantity at this point
WHICH SHOULD I GET?! : HONDA CIVIC EX 2002 or MAZDA PROTEGE5

Ok, after a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time, anyone reading my posts know this. I looked at every car in my price range. I am not planning to race, this car will be for economical use. Here were my choices at first

1. Sentra SE-R - Hella power, best bang for the bucks (spec wise), but the looks just don't appeal

2. Jetta 1.8T - I was willing to pay the extra bucks for the power, but, found Consumer Reports says Jetta is one of the worst cars. Their history is aweful.

3. Toyota Corolla - Reliable as hell since it's Toyota, but the looks just don't click

4. Subaru Impreza - Probably anyone would agree with me to get this, but their MPG is bad and something bugs me about the lights and the size of the car.

So here we are
MAZDA PROTEGE 5 - Looks good, not many people have it, 26 mpg, Mazda isn't as bad reliability as VW. In fact, Consumer Reports gave them a really good rating for reliability. price is good, cargo space is good.
Pic1
Pic2 - I won't be fixing it up like this one, but this is the only blue pic I can find.

Honda Civic EX - Feels very comfy inside, people have it, but has good resale value. Starting last year, they started making it in a factory in Ohio, reliability may be a little bad, but still seems to be better than Mazda. Consumer Reports says that Mazda PRotege5 will be better than Honda Civic in performance wise (reliability, and everything) for 2002.
Pic3

Anyways, what do you all think. Anyone go through this when purchasing a car?

For all of you : I WILL BUY a car before 06/02

For Civic Owners : Did u consider Protege5 as a choice? Why did you choose Civic?
Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

SugarRay is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey,

First off, its all up to you.

Whatever you are leaning to right now, is the one you want... Just consider that.

With that said, GET THE CAR YOU *REALLY* WANT. Do *not* settle for anything less. There is no because.

You don't want to be like so many countless of people, some are included in this forum to which they wished they can go back in time and get the car they really wanted.

Your going for eco uses, but you want style. I was in the same boat, as I drive close to 500 miles a week.

I went with my car (2001 Auto EX) because it looks nice and was reliable and I can tune it a little to fit to my liking. Price wise, I only wanted to spend roughly $12,000 but ended up forking over around $16,000 but I was pleased because it was the car I wanted. I have no regrets with my decision.

Personally out of your choices, I would get the Nissan Sentra, to me it looks sporty and preformances really well and even better once you tune it a little bit. It seems you are going for the sedan.... some other choices,

I'm going in the $16,000-$20,000 range since you did list the WRX in your list.

Honda Accord -
Infinity G20
Nissan Alitma
Toyota Camary.

While those are the higher end models of most of the cars you listed. They still are within that price range, and offer much more reliability then the lesser cars plus adding practical uses.

If I was you, I would go out and test drive ALL of them and see the cars close up for yourself. While that may be frustrating and time consuming, its worth it because anyone investing that much money had better make the correct choice for them.

Ray
Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

IncaNikeSwoosh is an unknown quantity at this point
CIVIC EX
Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

Attachments:
[IMG]/forums/themes/orbitz/paperclip.gif[/IMG] CivicFront.jpg (32 Kb)
Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

Attachments:
[IMG]/forums/themes/orbitz/paperclip.gif[/IMG] swoosh2 (43 Kb)
Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

Crashoveride is an unknown quantity at this point
Im not sure if this is the best place to ask that question. We are all a little biased on this issue.
Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

01civicboi is an unknown quantity at this point

<< Im not sure if this is the best place to ask that question. We are all a little biased on this issue. >>

gee, i wonder what a Mazda forum would reccommend[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

it's YOUR car man. it doesn't affect any of us in any way. go test drive them again and again and choose which one YOU like.
Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

mwwhonda is an unknown quantity at this point
the mazda! i have test driven it numerous times, and almost bought one! but the dealer screwed me over, so i went to honda....

they are a GREAT car, and handel AWESOME! and along w/ that, plenty of power and torque! wonderful brakes!....the interior quality of the honda seems to be a lil' better, but for the cost of the mazda, it is more then acceptable.

honestly...mazda has honda beat right now......plenty of power, stock alloys, awesome handeling, and powerful brakes, plus damn good looks! what more could you ask for?

peace!
Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

PRCIVIC2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Man go for the Nissan Spec-V All the Way. The car is amazingly fast, looks real good, rims look good, just everything. I also like the Mazda Protege5 but for the best bang for the buck and pricewize, Nissan SE-R Spec-V. Besides No one knows a Spec-V better than an owner, peace.
Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

wh3nw0rdsesc4pe is an unknown quantity at this point
incanikeswoosh

that swoosh looks g ay....lol sorry

[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG]NIKE SWOOSH, NIKE
Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

Rockthumper is an unknown quantity at this point
All I see when I see the Protege5 is first, a protege,
next I see a four-door STATION WAGON,
then I remember the lines of a 92 Civic hb.
I'm biased, get the honda.
R/T
Old 04-18-2002
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light
You come in here and ask that?? LOL. . .. CIVIC BAYBEE!!!!
Old 04-18-2002
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light
Don't jump on that wagon train. . [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

MyOtherRideIsBritney is an unknown quantity at this point

<< Starting last year, they started making it in a factory in Ohio, reliability may be a little bad, but still seems to be better than Mazda >>

Um...no. Honda itself has had plants in Ohio since 1982, when the Marysville plant opened and started churning out Accords. The first Civic production line was opened in 1989 in East Liberty, Ohio and another engine plant opened in Anna, Ohio a few years later. So anyways, all 6th gen Civic coupes and all 7th gen Civic coupes were made at the East Liberty plant, and the 7th gen coupes will continue to be made only there. Sedans are made at this plant also, as well as in Alliston, Ontario, Canada and lately it seems Honda is producing US-Spec models at its Sayama, Japan plant. As for reliability, it really doesn't matter what country it is made in...Honda has been making cars in other nations other than Japan for years now, and you haven't heard any stories about quality control problems. Did you hear that Honda is going to open a plant in Afghanistan making the new Acura NSX? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

Oh and btw - get the Civic Coupe...Protege5 is ugly...now if you were talking about the Protege sedan...mmm...I have a thing for the ES 2.0. (But don't tell anybody)

MyOtherRideIsBritney

--------------------------

What am I to do with my life
How am I supposed to know what's right

"Overprotected" - Britney Spears
Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

lidcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a Mazda 626 (i'll be getting my Civic EX Auto next month) and my opinion might be bias, but Mazda:[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG]
I have had so many problems with that damn car! Maybe i just bought a lemon, but i havent heard anything good regarding Mazda's reliability from owners (you get to know many owners and mechanics when you spend so much time in the shop, hehe). Then again mine is a '95 and everything could be peachy with the new models but i would never get a Mazda EVER again on that note:

You should get the car that apeals most to you, don't listen to what other people tell you (opinion wise) because one person's bad experience could keep you from buying a car that you could have enjoyed. Test drive all the cars you like and decide which one meets your standards and happy driving [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

Lidia
[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

Snowman is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't trust consumer reports too much. Drive the cars back to back and go from there.
Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

R3DF0G is an unknown quantity at this point
GTI 1.8T. Blows the doors off the mazda, plus it's NOT made in Mexico like the Jetta and has has a better reliability rating. It really should be on your list in place of the Jetta. And since it is a daily driver, you should know that I have test driven all of the cars you are looking at, and it rides MUCH smoother than all of them, and is more comfortable.
Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

SatinSilver2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
dude...
all those cars suck..
get the kia..
Old 04-18-2002
Let's see if I know the ledge
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tricky is on a distinguished road

I had a Mazda 323 for 10 years and it went thru complete hell, from high school to college...driving the crap outta it, people have even puked in my car...BUT, that thing NEVER broke down on me...EVER...and to this day, the person I sold it to, still drives it showing no signs of slowing down. I did test drive the MP5, not bad, but didn't want a four door hatch, just my preference....
Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
VW-forget it if don't like spending time at the dealer's service center.

Mazda-looks nice and thats about it imo

Honda-high resale value, top-notch reliability, awesome gas mileage, looks very nice...and it's a honda for crying out loud.
Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

Quiksilver is an unknown quantity at this point
Mazda man
go with the Protege 5
It's sportier, better looking and have more extras.
Old 04-18-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
it depend son whata re u using it for, the mp5 gives me of more a transport lotsa stuff vehicle... it's a sports wagon afterall. if you ar ejust using the car to get point a to pint b and look preety good and still get 30mpg, i would say go with the civic. afterall, the civic turns some eyes stock, and exterior mods turns even more eyes
Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point

<< GTI 1.8T. Blows the doors off the mazda, plus it's NOT made in Mexico like the Jetta and has has a better reliability rating. It really should be on your list in place of the Jetta. And since it is a daily driver, you should know that I have test driven all of the cars you are looking at, and it rides MUCH smoother than all of them, and is more comfortable. >>

REDFOG: So if the GTI is so much smoother and more comfortable, why did you end up getting the Civic?

kenji: The Protege 5 came out several months after I bought my Civic. But if I had a choice now, it would be a toss-up between the Protege and the Civc, just like you. I would seriously consider getting the Pro5, or even the Protege ES 2.0... but I still love my Civic. So it's a very tough choice. Pro5 has gotten great reviews everywhere... whereas the Civic has gotten so-so reviews.

But you also have to take into consideration the Civic's strengths over the Protege: better mileage and better safety, and maybe a better engine (in terms of reliability... debatable though). And better mileage was VERY important for me, especially with gas prices going up now.

Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

gasboy is an unknown quantity at this point
are you a sedan, coupe or hatchback kinda guy?

i went through the same dilemna as you, comparing sentra to civic ex coupe to protege 5. in the end, came down to looks cuz each car has its pluses and minuses (as have been already pointed out in this thread). went with the civic coupe cuz of its looks -- suited me the best.

does that help?

gasboy
Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

Spazbitte is an unknown quantity at this point
Its your decision man its not the car its what you do to the car. Buy a civic throw a supercharger on it with intake and exhaust and you got a bad car its the love of tuning.
Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

R3DF0G is an unknown quantity at this point

<<
REDFOG: So if the GTI is so much smoother and more comfortable, why did you end up getting the Civic?
>>

because I'm poor[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG] I'm actually having trouble affording my civic now.
Old 04-19-2002
Registered!!

NeoMagus is an unknown quantity at this point
my friend in my club has an MP3...that thing looks decent straight from the factory.

I'd have to say go for the Protege...im about sick of my 2001. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-19-2002
Registered!!

pogi2k1ex is an unknown quantity at this point
my boy's gotta p5....and we recently started hookin it up...gotta tell ya it looks pretty good....perfect sleeper
Old 04-19-2002
Registered!!

TwilightX is an unknown quantity at this point
I have to say that if I had the choice of all those cars, it would be between the SE-R and the Proto 5. I love my honda, but the breakdown looks like this for performance:

2k2 Honda Civic EX:
Horsepower: 127hp @ 6300 rpm
Torque: 114ft-lbs. @ 4800 rpm

Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V
Horsepower: 175hp @ 6000 rpm
Torque: 180ft-lbs. @ 4000 rpm

Mazda Proto5
Horsepower: 130hp @ 6000 rpm
Torque: 135ft-lbs. @ 4000 rpm

If it were performance, the choice is clear here...I'm not sure what the Mazda is rated on how popular the car is to be stolen, but Honda is at the top of that list, which means you will have higher insurance rates. But the SE-R is considered a sports car (I've prived this car out as well...had a chance to get an older SE-R), and that will be high as well. It all depends on what you want and how much you can afford! Just make sure you decide based on 60% facts and 40% desire, and you won't go wrong. Sounds like you're doing your research! Check out the VW Golf...I forgot, but I'm pretty sure they have a high rating in reliability, and they're quick depending on the model.

T-X
Old 04-19-2002
Registered!!

bluespecv02 is an unknown quantity at this point
the cars you listed covered a wide range of prices, from sentra to wrx...i think i was in the same boat when i was shopping for a car, sometimes i seemed wanted something in the 16k range and other times 20k range...if i were you, i'd go for a se-r (best bang for the buck like you said) and trust me this car can perform and it's a blast to drive, or the gti 1.8t ( chip it and 220hp), and if you can afford it heck get a wrx by all means, i know i would