General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

for the people who say our cars are slow.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002
You boost, I-VTEC
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
for the people who say are cars are slow.

i see alot of posts with people saying how slow our cars are. I'd like to know what the basis for comparison is. I mean i've raced two gen 6 Civics and beat them pretty good. If you compare the car to another car with a similar motor (SOHC 2.0 and under) the car is pretty fast. I whooped my friends cars a$$ in his 99 Corolla CE. If you compare the car to a RSX-S, a WRX, a Prelude, or even a Neon expresso or r/t of course the cars gonna loose. Thats like comparing a F-14 to a Sesna, they're not in the same class. All i really wanted to say was, sure our cars aren't rockets by any means, but there are alot of cars that are slower than ours (in the same class) i don't understand why everyone thinks the cars are dogs. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AFlyer is an unknown quantity at this point
good point, check your spelling cause half that required interpretation due to spelling errors. for an economy car, especially the EX is a fairly quick car. compared to my sister's 2000 LX sedan, it flies. if you people wanted a super fast car, why didn't you buy a super fast car?
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
The Civic in the past brought itself out to the "sport compact" class back in the early 90s. It jumped from being an economy car to a sporty SOB. 7th Gen Civics have yet to reach that milestone. It's not in a class that's really considered "fast."

IMO, if you ask me if a 7th Gen Civic is fast, my reply will be:
"It's just a Civic." (In other words, no.)

Can it become faster like the past generations?
"We don't know yet, but the people on this site which is 7th Gen Civic Heaven... have not rested in finding ways to get extra boost from this stubborn ULEV engine even if it's at the price of our dealer warranties."

I'm optimistic still. It's a new car... welcome to new challenges newbies!

-Zell
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

aZnVoYCe has a spectacular aura aboutaZnVoYCe has a spectacular aura about
I agree!
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

LOWBOY is an unknown quantity at this point
Dont get mad, but this has been posted over a couple dozen times already, I should know because I posted it twice. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

1slo2k1civic is an unknown quantity at this point

it was said before that a civic is the lowest honda you can buy.

1. s2000
2. prelude
3. accord
4. civic

I'm not sure wear the insight falls[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-17-2002
You boost, I-VTEC
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
1slo2k1civic: my point was not that the civic is a fast car, which we all no its not at all fast. My point was when people say its slow they compare it to car that of course is faster. Case in point you. 1. S2000 DOHC 2.0 240 horses. 2. Prelude DOHC 2.3 220 (?) horses. Accord SOHC 2.2 ?horses. When saying the car is slow compare to cars in its class, not cars that are obviously faster.
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

pr0ph37 is an unknown quantity at this point
any car can be made to go fast its just we need to give the part makers time to design stuff for our cars. the thing you have to remember is that we have a brand new engine its not the beloved b-series engine. we will be as fast as the sixth gen civics if not faster just give it timeand i agree for are class we are pretty fast. i didnt think his spelling was that bad but i cant spell either
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

avenger is an unknown quantity at this point
the "dont hate our cars" threads are almost as old as the "civic sucks" threads
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

<< it was said before that a civic is the lowest honda you can buy.

1. s2000
2. prelude
3. accord
4. civic

I'm not sure wear the insight falls[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
>>

1. Insight
2. s2000
3. prelude
4. accord
5. Civic

Actually the Od is the lowest Honda you can get... when it comes to car accidents... it's one of the unsafest vehicles out now.
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

nbpEMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point

<< for the people who say our cars are slow. >>

They are right! We drive economy cars...not sports cars [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

RockfordFosgateBwoy is an unknown quantity at this point

<< or even a Neon expresso or r/t of course the cars gonna loose. >>

[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

thats some funny stuff....

NEVER EVER EVER GONNA HAPPEN

I beat a neon expresso with my old 97 corolla DX (auto) and her neon was stick, she got off the mark a lot quicker than me but i just choo choo'ed right on by and didnt look back.....

again...lol, thats funny...Even the RT is on the same playing field as us........

RF Bwoy

can you say mopar
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

I never said that I didn't like the car I think that it is fast for no more than it is.
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

NeoMagus is an unknown quantity at this point
i bought my 7th gen for economy not to blow off the doors of any other car.

..by the way id like to see your 7th gen add my 6th gen to the list [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

FURY is an unknown quantity at this point

<< can you say mopar >>

most original parts are rusty
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

Cowboy is an unknown quantity at this point
yes they aren't the quickest car on the planet, but what did you expect?
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

blackasnight2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
it might be the fact that i never drived a really fast car, but i really don't notice the "slowness" in my car and i have a dx , its not a racecar for sure but it gets me from point a to b in a reasonable fast time, just when i go uphill do i realize my car is slow....
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

<< it might be the fact that i never drived a really fast car, but i really don't notice the "slowness" in my car and i have a dx , its not a racecar for sure but it gets me from point a to b in a reasonable fast time, just when i go uphill do i realize my car is slow.... >>

Go test drive the RSX Type S... a Mitsubishi Eclipse GT (even in an automatic if you can't drive a stick which I dunno...) just go drive some of those fast cars that're out now... a WRX... (don't go for the Matrix)...
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

FURY is an unknown quantity at this point
drove a friend's 3 series today....had a lead foot when i was back in my car -_-
Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

O1Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
FACT: 7TH GEN CIVICS ARE SLOW

FACT: JUST BECAUSE YOU BEAT SOMEONE, DOESN'T MEAN THEY KNEW HOW TO DRIVE.. OR EVEN TRIED

I once beat a guy an a 2002 Acura RSX Type-S in my Civic LX Audo (he even said "Holy $hit, what have you done to that thing?")... does that mean my car is FASTER than his car? I don't think so. It's because he's a $hitty *** driver.

I'm telling you right now, as a previous owner of a 98 Corolla, that is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than the Civic. Buy how much? Up to 62mph, about 2 car lengths. And trust me, we took the cars out a few times, switched drivers, tried different roads, etc etc etc... results are more or less the same. I've done comparo myself of stick vs stick, and auto vs. auto.....

So please, stop day dreaming.

Apprciate our 7th Gen Civic for what they are. Sexy looking coupe, that is fun to drive and easy on gas. It ain't no drag racer.

If you're so critical about drag racing, you should've bought a used Stang.
Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't see how the corolla could be that much faster if at all. It has 3 more hp than the ex if I my memory is correct. Published performance times are within a couple tenths of a second of each other. Doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 04-19-2002
Registered!!

<<

<< or even a Neon expresso or r/t of course the cars gonna loose. >>

[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

thats some funny stuff....

NEVER EVER EVER GONNA HAPPEN

I beat a neon expresso with my old 97 corolla DX (auto) and her neon was stick, she got off the mark a lot quicker than me but i just choo choo'ed right on by and didnt look back.....
>>

She? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] j/k
Old 04-19-2002
Registered!!

<< FACT: 7TH GEN CIVICS ARE SLOW

So please, stop day dreaming.
>>

It's too bad... 4th-6th Gen Civics are known to be pretty fast. My point is, though any stock Civic is slow, most of the "noticable" ones just make the "Civic" look faster than it normally is. I'm sure A LOT of people expected this out of thei 7th gen naturally... I'll admit, even I did as I was learning about cars. But experience should tell anyone that a new car = a new challenge for performance gains.

<< If you're so critical about drag racing, you should've bought a used Stang. >>

[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] What a way to end your speech!
Old 04-19-2002
Registered!!

cosmicjim is an unknown quantity at this point
it's interesting that the web site www.roadcompanion.com lists the 2002 civic coupe at 0 - 100 at 8.4 secs where as comparable cars with more torque and HP are slower ... is that possible or are they mistaken?
Old 04-19-2002
Registered!!

TonnyHegger is an unknown quantity at this point
The thing is the Civic Ex is a good car and there other cars out there that we can get their a$$.........If you are one of those persons that has a Prelude, S2000 or anything over 200hp...............go race with your own size.......go and race with Mustangs, Impreza WRX, Eclipse GTS or anything like that............but now.......all you guys want is the get the Civics so you can look good in the street ahhhhh............
Old 04-20-2002
Registered!!

Two of my friends raced at the strip last thursday. One was a mazda truck that had a 305 in it. The other was a 96 accord with the factory motor in it. The 96 accord only has 130hp from factory not to mention it was four door. Anyway the mazda run a 10.1 or a 10.2 and the accord run a 9.99. the mazda was lighter,more hp, and it isn't a grocery getter.
Old 04-20-2002
Registered!!

R3DF0G is an unknown quantity at this point

<< Two of my friends raced at the strip last thursday. One was a mazda truck that had a 305 in it. The other was a 96 accord with the factory motor in it. The 96 accord only has 130hp from factory not to mention it was four door. Anyway the mazda run a 10.1 or a 10.2 and the accord run a 9.99. the mazda was lighter,more hp, and it isn't a grocery getter. >>

9.99 with a factory 130hp motor???????[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Please tell me you're joking.
Old 04-20-2002
Registered!!

It was in a 1/8 but the accord had nitrous.
Old 04-20-2002
Registered!!

I have the video I made but i don't have anywhere to post it actually I have several videos that i would like to post.

I have one of me doing a burnout in my car.
Old 04-20-2002
Registered!!

Cyclosporine is an unknown quantity at this point
IMO, actually, the deal of all "7th gen civics are slow" is because there is no aftermarket support and all that's been out now, it's just cosmetics for the car and nothing really good for the engine, all the mod's availabe are not easy on the pocket and you can spend as much as $1000 in mods and not get such a big boost in HP, almost nothing due to that darn catalytic converter, than the previous 6th gen civics...unless you got nitrous and blow your engine

this has been discussed way too much before...talking about this won't make our civics faster...let's just hope someone will solve the catalytic converter problem without bypassing or removing it anytime soon... my 2cents [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

in the meantime, i just have fun watching with my girlfriend all the cars zoom by and laughing our heads off of how I have no chance (yet)... ahahahahah
ta-ta