General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Heat issues w/ 02 LX Sedan......

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Juddrock is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Heat issues w/ 02 LX Sedan......

What's up. I am a newbie to the forum looking for some help.

I have an 02 LX Sedan, and when I have it switched to the heat/def. mode it blows cool air while idle, but as soon as I touch the accelerator it heats up instanly, then cools off again when I let out of the accel. ?? I'm puzzled!

I did notice while under the hood that the A/C compressor kicks on frequently while switched to heat/def. mode. Is this normal? I know that the A/C light always displays while in def. mode, but should the compressor kick on so frequently??

Help me out if you are familiar with this problem.

Thanks, J. McNabb
Old 12-12-2007
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold
Re: Heat issues w/ 02 LX Sedan......

well, its possible your thermostat is stuck open, check the temp gauge when this is going on, if its low, then ur thermostat is stuck, if not, it could be a heater core problem, and also on 01-02 the ac is turned on automatically when the def. is turned on, there is no getting around it, so compressor will kick on frequently when def is on honda changed this in 03
Old 12-12-2007
Registered!!

The manual says the A/C kicks on to control the climate. Just read that.. But, it has never affected the warm air production. I have no clue, I don't think it is the thermostat, because the engine temp. is staying constant.
Old 12-12-2007
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

sounds like u could have a heater core problem, it could have a blockage, u could try backflushing it with water to see if u have can knock the blockage free, since your heat only works with revs, it may just be that the water pump is pushing the coolant through with higher revs because of increased pressure.

my other question for u is how old is your waterpump/timing belt, it could be time to change it
Old 12-12-2007
Banned

oh, and it may sound dumb, but check your coolant level
Old 12-12-2007
Registered!!

Car is just over 5 yrs old and only has 60k on it. I am the only owner, and have taken great care of it. I would not think the belt and water pump would have went bad at 60k, not on a honda anyway
Old 12-12-2007
Banned

no, not due till 90k, but check your coolant level, if its not low, id check ur heater core for a blockage
Old 12-12-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

compressor kicks on and off wuite alot. if you dont want the a/c on during defrost, type in the secret code so you can switch it off if you want.
Old 12-12-2007
Banned

secret code gearbox??? never heard that one b4
Old 12-12-2007
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

it must be an old sckool thing. like when you play video games, you push some buttons in the beginning to get special stuff to happen. lol. except for a car in this case. so you can push off the a/c if youre in defrost mode.

1. Car is in off position.
2. Turn all three *****,the fan control **** the temperature control **** and the position controll **** all the way to the left (counterclockwise)
3. Press on BOTH the recirculate button and the a/c button
4. Turn the car on (but do not start engine) while holding these two buttons in...hold for about 7 seconds.

You will see the recirc light flash and then the AC light will come on thus having control of your AC now..
^
also for this to work, be sure you wait until the recirc light stops flashing and the ac comes on before letting go of the buttons.
Old 12-12-2007
Registered!!

Nice! I like secrets gear! Feel free to hi-jack this thread and clue me in on some more secrets I might need to know of for this model
Old 12-12-2007
Premium Member

lol well thats all i think. oh if you have the stock ex cd player radio and you want to know the serial # (so you can give it to the dealer and have them look up the security code), you press and hold the #1 and #6 preset buttons before turning it on. it doesnt work for all radios just the newer ones.
Old 12-12-2007
Registered!!

I tried the code.........It works! Sweet. Yeah..., I see no reason to run the compressor when you are defrosting, maybe this will extend the life on the comp.?

Also, I think my wife had me second guessing this whole heating issue anyway? I have not had time all day to fool w it til now and it seems to be working fine?

Thanks for all your help and input fellas, I must go to bed now, way past this dude's bedtime...........

Thanks again,

J. McNabb
Old 12-12-2007
Banned

ur first mistake was listening to a woman about cars....
Old 12-12-2007
Registered!!

Hey, I was gonna say that but........... ???? Lol! It is her car, she is the operator, I have to at least take that in to consideration! Ha ha ha
Old 12-12-2007
Premium Member

haha lmao. but most of the time its true. but you may want to check the coolant level and maybe bleed the air out. sometimes it causes low heating performance. if you get on the freeway for 10 mins, the heat coming from the vents should be almost hot enough to burn you.