General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Final drive gear and counter shaft "nightmare"

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
medism is an unknown quantity at this point
Final drive gear and counter shaft "nightmare"

Just got back my 2007 civic si sedan from the dealer today. I've been going crazy going back and forth from the dealer.
Ever since I bought the car back in January 2007, I noticed a very slight noise coming from the transmission.
I took it back to the dealer, they said it was normal "K20Z3's are noisy" engines exact words", a couple months later
the noise was getting louder. I went to take the car for its firs oil change, of course I ask the Manager of the service
department to get in the car and listen to what I was hearing. LOL he said it was normal something about it being a hydrolic clutch.
Now I was starting to get a little upset. I really got pissed off when I saw a civic si sedan exactly like mine almost the same mileage,
and I couldn't tell if the car was even "ON!" I went back to the dealer and they admitted that there was a problem with the main shaft bearing,
so they orderd the bearing. A few days later they called the bearing was in so I took the car in, they kept the car all day. I went to pick it up
"THE NOISE WAS STILL THERE!" so they orded more bearings actually all the bearings. So they call the parts are in again LOL ok I go back drop off
the car. They call me in they want to show the problem "they ended up ordering 15 parts" apparently some civic si's are having issues with the
Final drive gear and counter shaft. It took 2 days to fix, once they figured out what it was. They did rent me a car a freeking "pt cruiser"
not funny. I kinda miss the sound it made when I drove it before kinda sounded like a supercharger winding up LOL

Last edited by medism; 12-07-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-08-2007
Registered!!

bakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the rough
Re: Final drive gear and counter shaft "nightmare"

So, it's fixed now?
Old 12-08-2007
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough

at least you didnt have to fix it yourself. those new civic's engine bays look like they were made for baby hands.

and never let a dealer tell you some kind of whining is normal.
Old 12-08-2007
Registered!!

Yeah its fixed, and I didn't have to pay for anything cause its still under warranty. When the clutch wasn't engaged "not pressed in" it was noisy, when it was engaged "pressed in" it was quiet, and when i was driving it would sound like a loud winding some people thought it was a supercharger LOL. But I had to post what happened to me, because I was going crazy trying to find some info online on what was happening with my transmission.
But yeah its nice and quiet.
Old 12-08-2007
Registered!!

kasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura about

good to hear everything worked out....
its not really a big issue, they should have fixed it right away.
Old 12-08-2007
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough

i loved having a car with a dealer warranty. i even got them to replace my o2 sensor when it went bad. haha.
Old 12-09-2007
Registered!!

kasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura about

and my buddy's tranny went out on him.... he got a brand new tranny at 55K, while when my k20 type R tranny went, I had to buy a brand new one from JDMLAND for 2500 US!
Old 12-09-2007
Registered!!

Thats a good chunk of change for a tranny, I saw the dealers receipt with the total cost for my transmission repair and it was over $1500 not including the car rental.
Old 12-09-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by medism
Thats a good chunk of change for a tranny, I saw the dealers receipt with the total cost for my transmission repair and it was over $1500 not including the car rental.
that's dealer prices though. you could rebuild your entire tranny for less than that.