General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Error code P1362 TDC sensor no signal

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newellsb is an unknown quantity at this point
Error code P1362 TDC sensor no signal

Hey there,

I am trying to find information about this error code and also a diagram of where this sensor is located. I am trying to figure out if its something I can change myself. I was reading my repair manual but it doesnt mention this sensor at all.

any help would be great

scott newell
Old 11-18-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Error code P1362 TDC sensor no signal

Under the cam gear on the drivers side of the head.

If the car is about due for a timing belt/H2O pump job, you may as well, the belts all have to come off to get it out.
Old 11-19-2007
Registered!!

Thanks for the info. could anything else be causing that error code? I am just wondering because last night I checked the batter connection, the spark plugs, cap and rotor. I think I need to change the rotor because it has oxidation on it but this morning my car started up great and the light didnt come on. If the sensor is bad wouldnt the light com on all the time?
Old 11-19-2007
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

maybe connection is loose, or it came unplugged. or something spilled on it. almost always the failure caused by fluid spillage.
Old 11-19-2007
Registered!!

Thanks I will have to see if I can find where the wire runs to see if something is loose or got spilled on it.

My thought was either a sensor is good or bad? it wouldnt be good one day and bad the next?
Old 11-19-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

Um, what car is this on? you say cap and rotor, and that sort of changes things
Old 11-19-2007
Registered!!

Its on a 1999 Honda Civic VP model. running a 1.6L engine. According to Honda the TDC sensor is in the distributor itself and needs to be replace since they just dont sell the sensor.

so now I am trying to see if its the sensor or not. I think if the sensor is bad it would always be bad. And last night I unhooked the battery and cleaned the terminals, then I also check the cap out and the rotor. The rotor had some oxdiation on it so I cleaned that up a little with sand paper. this mornign when I started the car it ran fine and no engine light. My though was if the sensor is bad the engine light should have came back on shouldnt it? so I was going to see about changing the rotor and cap out to see if that helps.

the car has 197K on it.
Old 11-19-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Well that changes a whole lot. The D17 uses a cam trigger, which is where I said it was. The D16 uses something in the dizzy. If you can rig a fix and it works, then hey, but if not, I'd replace the dizzy. Without that sensor, the motor doesnt know where the cam is in relation to the crank, and it can't set fuel and timing with any sort of accuracy.